I've been looking at picking up one of the blacktop jazzmasters, as I play metal mainly but have always loved the look of jazzmasters. The black top has an hb in the bridge so that would be perfect. However, I've noticed people saying it doesn't have the adjustable bridge that allows for a trem block. It says it does in the specs but it just has a standard tremolo bridge. I was wondering how tricky it would be to block it without the adjustable bridge because I know I wouldn't use the tremolo enough to actually justify sacrificing tuning stability to keep it there.
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
Why does everyone think that having a humbucker in the bridge makes a guitar good for metal? It's completely untrue.

Also, it's not tricky at all. Most Jazzmaster trems are pretty meh in general.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Dec 5, 2011,
Quote by JustRooster
Why does everyone think that having a humbucker in the bridge makes a guitar good for metal? It's completely untrue.

Also, it's not tricky at all. Most Jazzmaster trems are pretty meh in general.

Ok. Sorry. let me rephrase: It's good for me. For some reason I don't think a soapbar p90 in a stock jazzmaster would suffice for modern metal tones. I prefer humbuckers.

Anyway, sorry I have seriously little to no knowledge on anything to do with trems because I've just never used them. What would I have to do to block the trem?
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
Last edited by gucio93 at Dec 5, 2011,
Here's picture that could describe it better than I:

Insert a wood chunk, or whatever you have, between where the metal pivots and the body, that way you won't have the ability to pull the trem bar forward.
Makes sense, doesn't seem too difficult. Thanks a lot!
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
You could also just get a Blacktop Jag, has a TOM bridge.

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
Quote by moscaespañol
You could also just get a Blacktop Jag, has a TOM bridge.

The Blacktop Jaguar doesn't have a P90 in the bridge, though, nor is it routed for one.
Yeah I'm interested in the jazz, I like the fact that it has a p90 in the neck and an hb in the bridge. Thanks for the suggestions though!
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!