Hey,
Been playing on and off for a lil while and im stuggling to get my barre chords down, basically the problems is i get alot of fret buzz from barring even at the top of the neck. Im not sure if its my poor technique or a badly set up guitar.

P.s my guitar is a Vintage les paul still set up from factory with slinky 10s on

Also slightly off topic but since i got it there has been a buzzing noise from the bridge on the g string anyone know how to correct this?
Well, first things first.....make sure your finger is in the middle of the fret, and its straight, and make sure your pressing that finger down firmly according to what frets you want.
Gear

Ibanez RGD320
BC Rich Bich
JimDeacon SG
Fender Mustang II
Quote by bennyboi04
Hey,
Been playing on and off for a lil while and im stuggling to get my barre chords down, basically the problems is i get alot of fret buzz from barring even at the top of the neck. Im not sure if its my poor technique or a badly set up guitar.

P.s my guitar is a Vintage les paul still set up from factory with slinky 10s on

Also slightly off topic but since i got it there has been a buzzing noise from the bridge on the g string anyone know how to correct this?

i dunno how to help you with the g string buzzing at the bridge without being able to inspect it in person. however, the barre chord problem sounds like it could be a hand strength problem since you havent been playing steadily long enough. you can correct that with nothing but time and practice to build up your muscles.

it could also be finger placement. technically, when yo uplay a note, your finger is supposed to go right behind the actual fret wire closer to the pickups. some people, myself included, sometimes finger the note smack dab in the middle of the fret. this is more of an issue when your guitars are set up with the strings farther from the fretboard. (i can never get it straight as to whether thats HIGH or LOW action) reason being....the string will be firmly against the fret as opposed to having your finger placed farther back. this will alow a little more "wiggle room" and more fret buzz. i know some people also try to emilinate this by "hiding" it with tons of distortion. this doesnt help the root of the problem, it just masks it.
Last edited by westley23j at Dec 5, 2011,
It's probably a combination of both. Try playing on a different guitar and see if the problem is as prominent. I don't know how you play, so it's hard to assess your technique; are you playing right next to the frets? Are you applying a lot of pressure?

The bridge problem is probably the saddle. I'd honestly take it to a tech and fix 2 birds with 1 guitar tech.
modes are a social construct
How old are the strings?
You can check your neck to see if the truss rod and or bridge needs adjustment. There's a bunch of little "tricks" to this. First you can start by checking your string height. On a les Paul, I believe Gibson recommends the low E string to be about the thickness of a nickel off of the highest fret. Any less and your likely to get fret buzz. Any more and you can probably adjust it lower. The way to check the truss rod is to hold down on the first fret with one hand, and hold down the fret closest to where the body meets the neck. Usually around fifteen if I remember correctly. If you have no play between the fifth fret and the string, then your neck has overbow. If it's any higher than say a millimeter. Then you have too much underbow. Meaning your neck bows inward making your center frets lower than your outer ones. I like my neck pretty straight so I used the depth of a playing card to check mine at the fifth fret as the first and fifteenth are held down. Hope this helps. Or at least makes some sense...
Thanks for the replies Really appreciated I think it's mostly my technique as iv been fretting nearer the fret bar i guess as you would normally. Id love to try set up my guitar myself but just not confident enough yet. I would send it to my local shop but due to poor service I'm saving to get it set up properly elsewhere. (they took 13 weeks to change 1 valve in my AC15, I was told it would take 2 weeks very frustrating as it was over we when I had no uni work to do) Anyways il work on technique and get my guitar set up for Xmas. Any good drills for practicing that u lot have used and work well? Cheers guys
I don't know if this is "proper" technique or not, but it's what I do, and it works.

I rotate my index (barring) finger slightly toward the pickups and bridge so that more of the 'side' of that finger is in contact with the strings, rather than just pushing straight down with the fleshier part of the finger. Since there's less "flesh" more on the side of my finger, it's easier to push all the strings down properly.

It's kind of like if you had one big callous all the way down your finger - it would make barring a lot easier.

Keep in mind, this is more subtle than it sounds - I'm not tweaking my finger completely on its side - it's just a slight rotation.

Hope that helps!
Thanks that would make sense to use the boney part and toughen it up. I can develope calasus really quickly at work with some sand paper and practicing every day
Also, be sure you are barring with the correct finger placement. If it seems extremely awkward you might want to check a chord chart that shows you correct finger placement, just to make sure your using the right fingers. Sometimes even the correct fingers seem harder than it needs to be, but you find out when you incorporate the chord into a song it is always done for a reason. There is ALWAYS a reason for the correct finger placement.
Just a note:

check and make sure your guitar's action is alright. Play each string open and make sure it's tuning is dead on (EADGBe) with a chromatic tuner. Then play the 12th fret of the low e string and make sure the tuner reads close to 'e' or whatever string. Rinse and repeat for the other 5 strings. If the tuning is way off and/or you hear buzzing, it is most likely your guitar, and you need to raise the action slightly.
Quote by Lee Makky
Well, first things first.....make sure your finger is in the middle of the fret

Wrong. You always want your fingers to be as close to the fret bar as possible. The farther back you go, the more buzzing you will get.

TS, does the G string buzz with just single notes too or just when you do barre chords? If the G string has always been buzzing, even with single notes, it could be a problem with how the neck is set into the body, or how a certain fret bar is set, or maybe the neck has a few imperfections that can cause it, or maybe it's something simple like your action being a bit too low. I'd take it to a guitar a guitar shop and have a tech look at it.

If it only buzzes during barre chords, it's most likely just a problem with your technique or maybe you just need to practice a bit more.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Lighter strings and lower action makes it easier to play barre chords. A compressor or distortion masks bad technique/laziness

Other than that, it takes a few months to get really good hand strength. Hell my hands get tired after playing "I will follow you into the dark" by death cab for cutie, because the song is like 90% bar chords that change very often.
I have a bit of a problem with barre chords as well.
The thing is, with the help of turning my index finger a liitle to the right side and making a pinch motion with the thumb and index finger, I am able to bar a maximum of 5 strings.
But whenever I try to bar all 6 strings, the 4 and the 5th string sound muted.
Does anybody know what I am doing wrong when I go for the complete bar? Or is this a matter of more practice?
Quote by KailM
I don't know if this is "proper" technique or not, but it's what I do, and it works.

I rotate my index (barring) finger slightly toward the pickups and bridge so that more of the 'side' of that finger is in contact with the strings, rather than just pushing straight down with the fleshier part of the finger. Since there's less "flesh" more on the side of my finger, it's easier to push all the strings down properly.

It's kind of like if you had one big callous all the way down your finger - it would make barring a lot easier.

Keep in mind, this is more subtle than it sounds - I'm not tweaking my finger completely on its side - it's just a slight rotation.

Hope that helps!

I actually do the same thing as this guy. When I first learned Barre Chords I pressed down really hard on the strings with my index finger, and it hurt like a son of a _____. I find this method works the best, I don't have to press down very hard. My index is basically resting on the strings enough to get the sound I want, without straining my wrist/finger. It also makes it A LOT easier to slide the barre chord up and down the neck as I see fit.

So really, if you're struggling with barre chords try setting up for them. Rotate your index about 3 degrees. Nothing drastic and try again, if it works for you great! If it doesn't and you prefer your way, that's great too! It just takes some practice and a little bit of pain. After awhile you shouldn't even have to press the strings down that hard at all.

I have a bit of a problem with barre chords as well. The thing is, with the help of turning my index finger a liitle to the right side and making a pinch motion with the thumb and index finger, I am able to bar a maximum of 5 strings. But whenever I try to bar all 6 strings, the 4 and the 5th string sound muted. Does anybody know what I am doing wrong when I go for the complete bar? Or is this a matter of more practice?

It means your finger isn't pushing the strings toward the neck enough so you're getting a dead note sound. It's a matter of practice because your finger doesn't have enough strength being completely straight to pull the strings toward the neck, and make the notes ring out clearly.
Last edited by Hudson12 at Dec 26, 2011,
Thx a lot man, it seems I needed more practice and relax my left arm more.