Link

Astronomers have confirmed the existence of an Earth-like planet in the "habitable zone" around a star not unlike our own.

The planet, Kepler 22-b, lies about 600 light-years away and is about 2.4 times the size of Earth, and has a temperature of about 22C.

It is the closest confirmed planet yet to one like ours - an "Earth 2.0".

However, the team does not yet know if Kepler 22-b is made mostly of rock, gas or liquid.

It's a long shot to be honest, but it's still very interesting. What say you, Pit?
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
Quote by W4RP1G
Can we get there before the world ends next year?

Not even at light speed
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
about 600 light-years away

I used to know a bit about astronomy, but not anymore, how far is that?
Quote by W4RP1G

No...
THE GEAR The Gear
Ibanez RGA121
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Schecter V7 Black Jack
PRS SE Custom 24
Ibanez S470
Line 6 Spider Valve 2x12
Quote by Zeletros

5.67643828 × 10 ^ 15 km.
Quote by behind_you
We should send devourke there to make them all our bros.

I'm down with that.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by W4RP1G

If you are a neutrino on steroids, you could give it a shot.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."
Quote by keinerniemand
If you are a neutrino on steroids, you could give it a shot.

Quote by Zeletros

the distance that a beam of light travels in one year x 600. even if we could go in a spaceship that travels at the speed of light, it would still take 600 years.
[lUlLaBiEs tO pAraLyZE]
Quote by gunsandroses
the distance that a beam of light travels in one year x 600. even if we could go in a spaceship that travels at the speed of light, it would still take 600 years.

leaving the solar system is not allowed until faster-than-light travel has been achieved.
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
Quote by shikkaka
leaving the solar system is not allowed until faster-than-light travel has been achieved.

Warp Speed!!!
THE GEAR The Gear
Ibanez RGA121
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Schecter V7 Black Jack
PRS SE Custom 24
Ibanez S470
Line 6 Spider Valve 2x12
Quote by shikkaka

Forgive me, im not an expert. How's that?
[lUlLaBiEs tO pAraLyZE]
Quote by gunsandroses
Forgive me, im not an expert. How's that?

I'm just joking. It just wouldn't be practical. It would take to long to get anywhere.

You could freeze people and have an automated ship, but that sounds a lot like sending a few thousand people to die to me.

The best option would be to do what they have done in some scifi movies like Pandorum. Ships take a really long time to get anywhere but the population (since I am assuming we are talking about colony ships) is in a deep freeze. There are crews that work in shifts of a year or two to monitor the ships systems and those crews cycle in and out of cryo.

That is probably the best option for for space colonization in the near future but its extremely risky and once you are there, you are there for good.

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
Anybody else looking into a career as a telephone sanitizer?
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."
^

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
Where can I look into buying real estate on this new planet? PM me
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
Quote by shikkaka
I'm just joking. It just wouldn't be practical. It would take to long to get anywhere.

You could freeze people and have an automated ship, but that sounds a lot like sending a few thousand people to die to me.

The best option would be to do what they have done in some scifi movies like Pandorum. Ships take a really long time to get anywhere but the population (since I am assuming we are talking about colony ships) is in a deep freeze. There are crews that work in shifts of a year or two to monitor the ships systems and those crews cycle in and out of cryo.

That is probably the best option for for space colonization in the near future but its extremely risky and once you are there, you are there for good.

A crew that is large enough to procreate and form a healthy population would seem more practical to me.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Quote by keinerniemand
Anybody else looking into a career as a telephone sanitizer?

wat
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
So it'll take us about 1000 years minimum to reach it and see if it's inhabitable? I say we go for it. Send 4 fertile men and 4 loose women so that the mission does not die.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Quote by AeroRocker
So it'll take us about 1000 years minimum to reach it and see if it's inhabitable? I say we go for it. Send 4 fertile men and 4 loose women so that the mission does not die.

I will volunteer if the women are not loose.
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
Quote by maddnotez
Where can I look into buying real estate on this new planet? PM me

PM'd
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
Quote by AeroRocker

How did you get 1000 years? It'd take 600 years for light to get there starting from Earth.
Quote by the bartender
A crew that is large enough to procreate and form a healthy population would seem more practical to me.

A ship that could carry the significant amount of people required to colonize a planet would be pretty large. You also have to factor in the amount of space supplies are going to take up for the people to eat (not to mention use as tools when they land). In addition, you would also need lots of oxygen, water, storage for waste etc.

While all this is doable, it is much easier to just put everyone to sleep for 600 years (assuming that tech exists) and use space for the support of the crew and the items necessary for colonization.

That is only looking at it from a logistical standpoint to. How would living in space for 600 years affect a person psychologically? What about evolution? Would the people adapt to their spaceship? The lack of gravity poses a lot of issues as well. Reproduction in space is considered pretty impossible without gravity (not sex mind you, just fetal growth) or is at least a terrible idea.

Granted, if cryogenic freezing turns out to be impossible, that is probably the next best idea.

Quote by keinerniemand

I have read that book actually. I just missed the reference

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
Last edited by shikkaka at Dec 5, 2011,
Quote by KeepOnRotting
How did you get 1000 years? It'd take 600 years for light to get there starting from Earth.

Whatever 10000 years minimum. Realistic estimations are not necessary for a joke.
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Ofcourse this planet is habitable. All men can inhabit a slab of dirt. It's the women who need grass, flowers, trees and all that shit. I bet they even invented oxygen.

trollface.jpg
However, the team does not yet know if Kepler 22-b is made mostly of rock, gas or liquid.

Helpful.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!