If any of you have been to DiMarzio's website, you would note that they have the specs on their pickups.Well, I've been looking at The Breed bridge DP166, but I saw that they had pups that had higher output with different ratings that include treble, bass, and Mids, so I was wondering if it was just the output that made the better pickup or if it's the specs that suite you(treble, mid, and bass.) also if it's the specs, which ones would you look for that would be better for Heavy metal.also, if you're wondering it's for the bridge pickup.I'm working with an Ibanez Gio GSA which is made out of Agathis and I'm playing on a Fender Mustang 3.
Last edited by Serj_Tankian420 at Dec 5, 2011,
Output is just one parameter. The treble/mid/bass specs they give you are to help with your decision, but there are even more differences that are harder to put into numbers. A JB and a Duncan Distortion have a fairly similar output and would probably be close on a T/M/B chart, but they sound and feel very different.
Well output just simply means how hot that pickup is. A better pickup doesn't need to have more output, it's more about clarity, and how it's tone is. And yea you basically find a pickup that has the output, tonal characteristic (ex. a Paf Pro has a almost vowel like quality to it) and then you look at the treble mid and bass to see what works for you. Dimarzio makes a lot of pickups suited towards metal. If you are going to be playing really fast high output metal (metallica, Slayer etc) the Dactivator may be a good idea for you.
Quote by Pg.inc_music
Well output just simply means how hot that pickup is. A better pickup doesn't need to have more output, it's more about clarity, and how it's tone is. And yea you basically find a pickup that has the output, tonal characteristic (ex. a Paf Pro has a almost vowel like quality to it) and then you look at the treble mid and bass to see what works for you. Dimarzio makes a lot of pickups suited towards metal. If you are going to be playing really fast high output metal (metallica, Slayer etc) the Dactivator may be a good idea for you.

Good answer here. I bought an Xn27 for a 7 string, solely because it had highest output at the time.

And well the pup sounded horrible, muddy and overall was a waste of money for me.

People are going to want to know. What amp and What guitar are you using? What is it made out of. Certain woods produce a deeper sound than others. You might not want something thats say 7:bass, 3:mids and 3:highs with wood like that.
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness