I'm planning on getting a bunch of pedals and I need to know the best way to wire them. I already have a distortion pedal and a tremolo, but I'm planning on getting a wah, volume, delay, pitch shifter, "slow motion"(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiFyloakSwc), and an octaver. I want the least amount of noise possible and the best tone I can get, so any help is appreciated.

I think that distortion always goes first, then modulation and things like that, but I want to be more specific.
The way I would do it:

To amp - tuner, tremolo, pitch shifter, distortion, wah, volume, - to guitar
Effects loop noise gate, delay, octaver, sm200

Its something you just have to mess around with... try it in all different ways and use what sounds best.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
From Guitar

Tuner... you want a clean signal
Compressor
OD
Distortion
Wah (Some like their Wah before the distortions... some don't)
Volume.... if you put the volume before od's and distortions you get the vol knob effect. if you turn it down, your tone cleans up... with the volume after the distortions, you get the same effect up or down.. (personal choice I guess)

Effects loop
delay
phase
chorus
reverb
Noisegate

Thats how I'd do it..
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Quote by Papabear505
From Guitar

Tuner... you want a clean signal
Compressor
OD
Distortion
Wah (Some like their Wah before the distortions... some don't)
Volume.... if you put the volume before od's and distortions you get the vol knob effect. if you turn it down, your tone cleans up... with the volume after the distortions, you get the same effect up or down.. (personal choice I guess)

Effects loop
delay
phase
chorus
reverb
Noisegate

Thats how I'd do it..

That's helpful. Any other suggestions?
My rig goes like this:
Wah (If you put the wah after the distortion, you get a kinda weird effect in the low range... just try it both ways, see what you like.)
Distortion
Fuzz
Overdrive (I do these three in this order because I use the overdrive to give the other distortions some chime, and it's a more noticeable EQ change if it's after the others most people seem to place them in order from least gain to most gain, though)
Compressor (I like mine here, but I'm not sure why. Just test different positions)
Tremolo (after distortion because of the volume-knob effect stated above. plus, if you have a "chopper" effect, a la "Boulevard of Broken Dreams", after distortion will be a more intense effect)
Boost
Chorus (if you don't use this on distortion, it could be put before it. i use chorus/distortion tone for soloing a lot, and prefer it after the distortion for a synthier sound)
Flanger
Phaser (I put modulation after distortion, but that's a personal preference. it sounds deeper and more synth-y that way- the sweep of the flange and phase are more intense)
Volume (I put the volume at the end (before delay and reverb) because I want my tone consistent through volume swells)
Delay (after the volume pedal, because for long spacey swells, I swell the pedal into a longer delay, to lengthen the whole thing. very spacey. if you want the volume pedal to cut everything off, put it at the end of your chain)
Reverb (It's built into the amp, so I have no choice here. never experimented with placing a reverb box in different places)

just a note- if you use amp distortion, definitely put the delay through an effects loop, otherwise the volume of the echo will increase when you hit the distortion. otherwise, place it at the end of the chain.

of course, anything can be switched up, depending on your preferences.
Quote by gateway01
you would put the wah and volume before the distortion? doesn't that muddle the tone?

Well, considering that the most simple setup possible with a wah goes:

Guitar>Wah>Amp

I would say no, considering most people get their distortion/overdrive from an amp.

I'm not sure about the volume pedal. It would depend on the effect you want it to have. I don't own one, or pretend to know a damn thing about them, but if it's basically a volume pot in pedal form, the following would happen:

Having it BEFORE your distortion/overdrive would cause your tone to clean up and get slightly quieter, then cut off

Having it AFTER your distortion/overdrive would cause your volume to decrease without affecting the amount of distortion you're hearing (provided that you're getting all your distortion from the pedals)

Again, I can't say for sure on that because I don't know a damn thing about volume pedals, but you could easily try that and see.
Quote by Guild King
just a note- if you use amp distortion, definitely put the delay through an effects loop, otherwise the volume of the echo will increase when you hit the distortion. otherwise, place it at the end of the chain.

I didn't know that... (I love it when an old dog like me might learn a new trick)

I'm running a Peavy Windsor... However, it's for the most part clean.. I use OD and Distortion pedals to get ..... well.... OD and Distortion... (I need cleans, as well as OD/Dist for the Covers we do) Would you recommend using Chorus/Delay/Reverb through the effects loop, or just keep them in the effects chain?

I just switched from a Fender Twin, so no distortion what so ever AND no effects loop. (I'm old school and have never owned an amp with an effects loop until now)

I'm gonna try it, but what's your experience with it?
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
i like my wah before dirt. that's just me though, but i have tried it both ways. and the other thing is as a poster above said, make sure your volume pedal is after all of your dirt. other than that IMO you can play with to a certain degree.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Personally, I like my modulation (chorus, flange, phase) in the effects chain. Just seems simpler, and I don't see the need to put it through the loop- plus, if your loop is footswitchable on/off, if you just keep reverb/delay in it, you can use the effects loop footswitch like a delay/reverb on/off, and not have to screw with those.

When you're using those old Fender amps, you don't need the effects loop. You're using pedals or your volume knob to get distortion, and so it's all being fed INTO the delay, which works off of that input. The problem is when your delay signal goes into distortion, because distortion compresses, at least to some degree. Therefore, it raises the volume of the echo to be closer to that of the dry signal.
Tuner first. Although people may differ slightly on what order fx go the tuner is ALWAYS FIRST.

So
Tuner
Wah
Distortion or overdrive
Any other modulation (chorus, flange etc - chop and change to see what you like)
Delay
Reverb

Reverb should always go at the end as thats the most naturaly place for it.

Distortions/overdrives go on the front, modulation goes in the f/x loop