I have a chance to pick up a Peavey 6505+ 112 combo pretty cheap tonight and was wondering how good they are for 70's and 80's rock like Skid Row, Tesla, Motley Crue, Scorpions, etc. All the demos on youtube seem to be detuned metal, which is not what I do. Any help would be appreciated here. Also any problems with reliability on these amps?
Yes, it will handle those styles without breaking a sweat. You probably wouldn't even need to use the lead channel...
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
the peavey 6505 is based on the 5150 model that eddie van halen made famous. if anything can handle 80s rock/metal, you would hope this thing could
Quote by Redd_dymond
the peavey 6505 is the same amp as the 5150 model that eddie van halen made famous. if anything can handle 80s rock/metal, you would hope this thing could

It will do what you want fine, but they're more known for modern metal nowadays than '80s stuff.

If you're more comfortable with something lower gain and with one channel, you could take a look at the Peavey Windsor head instead.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I actually had a Windsor head and stupidly got rid of it. I can pick up the 6505+ for about the price of a used Windsor head though.
yea i think it would work for you, i've never actually tried to get that tone from it but i think it would have no problem getting it
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
quick question on this combo amp, I've been looking for a practice amp, something that sounds good, I was looking at a valve king combo but for 600 bucks new, a 6505+ 112 is a good buy i think... my question is this....

If i wanted to gig with this amp, the 112, would it be able to power a half stack cab with the outputs, or would i need something bigger? Or in this case would it just be better to mic it?
My Setup:

Schecter Blackjack ATX Solo 6
Schecter Damien 6
Hook HSS Custom 6
Ibanez PF Acoustic
Ibanez TBX150H Amp and 4x12 TBX Cab.
Hardwire TL-2 (Metal Distortion)
Hardwire HT-2 (Chromatic Tuner)
Digitech Multi-Chorus
Rogue Compressor
^ the combo can power a 4x12 cab no problem, but don't threadjack. There is 5150/6505 thread and a 6505+112 combo thread somewhere. or start your own thread.

TS - I have two concerns.

why is the amp you are looking at so cheap?

Skid Row, Tesla, Crue, Scorpians, are more 80's hair bands that played Marshall amps mostly. I'd be looking for something more geared for that style. The 6505 can do it, it just is not the same imo. With the preamp gain on 1 you've got the classic Peavey fizzy modern metal tone.

For you what you play I'd rather have the Windsor.

PS: I'm a big fan of the 6505+112

v......No problem dude - you had a relevant question, I've just seen a lot of thread jacking lately
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Dec 5, 2011,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^ the combo can power a 4x12 cab no problem, but don't threadjack. There is 5150/6505 thread and a 6505+112 combo thread somewhere. or start your own thread.

My apologies for the threadjack and thank you.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

For you what you play I'd rather have the Windsor.

And yeah, the windsor is a better bet if you don't plan on playing any modern metal
My Setup:

Schecter Blackjack ATX Solo 6
Schecter Damien 6
Hook HSS Custom 6
Ibanez PF Acoustic
Ibanez TBX150H Amp and 4x12 TBX Cab.
Hardwire TL-2 (Metal Distortion)
Hardwire HT-2 (Chromatic Tuner)
Digitech Multi-Chorus
Rogue Compressor
The amp is cheap, because the tolex looks like shit and is peeling (I am not concerned about the cosmetics, just the tone).

I understand most of the bands played Marshalls and I am not trying to copy tones exactly, just get a close approximation. I would buy a Windsor if I could find one locally, I have had bad luck with amp shipping. I am definitely not looking for a fizzy modern metal tone, in fact that is very much the opposite of what I am looking for. Thanks for the response.
So, instead of the 6505+, I picked up a Windsor head and cab for $225 (I thought it was a pretty good deal). It'll do what I'm looking for. Thanks to everyone who offered up some help in this thread.
Dodged a bullet.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I agree. I went to try out the 6505 and it was in much better condition than the seller explained, but the sound just wasn't what I was hoping for. On the other hand, the Windsor is at least in the proximity of the tone I am looking for.
Good choice.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Drop a Boss SD-1 in front of the Windsor, and you should get exactly where you want to be.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
You know, I have never used an SD-1 in my guitar playing life and I have been playing about 20 years now. I have been meaning to try one out though, everybody says that it is basically associated with the tone I am looking for. There is one on my Craigslist for $20 in the box I may have to pick up. Currently, I use the OCD, Marshall Guv'nor, or MI Audio Crunchbox (though I think the Crunchbox will now be redundant).
Yep, head plus cab for $225. Though I am selling the cab and received an offer of $150. I have a nice Marshall MF280 cab with Vintage 30s that sounds amazing, so essentially I picked up the Windsor for $50. Not a bad deal I think.