I recently went to a project within my college at a recording studio and the guy there recorded me playing guitar, but he was using the computer to change to guitar tone, lot's of different settings and different amp setting simulator kind of thing.

I want to know where to start so that I can do this on a "DIY" level, not for recording purposes yet but to play through my computer where i can change the amp/tone/channels etc through software ?

I've really no idea where to start as there is a vast number of products out there that i'm not sure exactly how they work.
Get
An Interface
a Digital Audio workstation (Cubase, Protools etc)
visit https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1131250
If you're serious about needed some Design or Motion Graphics done for your band, youtube, or literally anything else you should email me at CoreGraphics@live.com. My services are quite affordable for the quality I deliver.

Youtube: CoreGraphics
^that

I personally use Guitar Rig for my amp simulation....but honestly, no amp simulator is at a level yet to get pro level tones, so it's really just for demoing stuff or practicing w/o an amp
Quote by Darkness in Zero
^that

I personally use Guitar Rig for my amp simulation....but honestly, no amp simulator is at a level yet to get pro level tones, so it's really just for demoing stuff or practicing w/o an amp

You can so get pro level tones with an amp sim.

That being said, I still greatly prefer using actual amps.
Quote by Darkness in Zero
^that

I know a great deal of people who are going to disagree with you lol.

Anyway, TS has already been told what to do so this post is almost redundant
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
i feel the need to add that you dont totally need a DAW if you are just playing around with effects and amp sims. there are quite a few programs that are stand alone. that said, i find using a DAW is better so you can mix and match different effects and amp sims from different places.

the only other advice i have would be to spend a little extra on the interface to get something that you can grow into. that $100 unit is tempting to get started, but most people outgrow it quickly and end up buying something with more inputs and options.
Quote by jof1029
i feel the need to add that you dont totally need a DAW if you are just playing around with effects and amp sims. there are quite a few programs that are stand alone. that said, i find using a DAW is better so you can mix and match different effects and amp sims from different places.

the only other advice i have would be to spend a little extra on the interface to get something that you can grow into. that $100 unit is tempting to get started, but most people outgrow it quickly and end up buying something with more inputs and options.

Meh, It's better to have one.
Especially if he wants to get into cab impulses.
If you're serious about needed some Design or Motion Graphics done for your band, youtube, or literally anything else you should email me at CoreGraphics@live.com. My services are quite affordable for the quality I deliver.

Youtube: CoreGraphics