Note: I'm a confused 16 year old who has no idea what he's talking about .

Hey guys, I've been looking to buy a new amp. I posted a thread a few weeks ago about it but it mainly only focused on 2 choices.

I play stuff by Megadeth, Metallica, Judas Priest, Avenged Sevenfold, Pantera, Slayer, Bullet for my Valentine, and the list could go on.

I currently own a Line 6 Spider II 112. It's alright I guess, but I want to replace it after 2 years. I was looking originally at the Peavey Vypyr series, specifically the Tube 60. I read many good reviews and some bad reviews of it. I decided I shouldn't make up my mind just yet and ask some people who know what they're talking about.

My price range is $450.

Thanks.
$450 is a tough number to work with for metal amps....head/cab is pretty much out of the question, so youre looking at a combo...I've never played the Vypers so idk about them....you might have better luck saving up a bit more, as the $650 and up price zone tends to have some really solid metal tube amps.
Quote by xX760Xx
Location as in where I am? New York.

yup, it will help us look for you locally
mojostompboxes.com
Well I'm buying a new guitar soon too. If I sell my Alesis USB Pro Kit though I could have enough for the $650 price range. I recently sold my Buckethead LP Studio for $1,050.
Dude, I was in your shoes like 3 years ago. Honestly, in the long run, just save up your money and buy a Peavey 5150. Seriously, no combo solid state amp will do the trick for Metal. It will just sound cheap and washy. If you NEED one now, maybe throw down an extra 100 bucks for a Peavey 6505 combo amp.
Quote by greeny23
yup, it will help us look for you locally

way to ease his fears that you're not e-stalking him
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
you should head over to guitar center and try out the vyper amps. you can get some pretty awesome tone out of those amps. i have a vyper 75. make sure to get a vyper 30 or above and get the sanpera pedal to go along with it. im not gonna tell you that you will not want to upgrade but hey, we as guitarist are never happy! lol. also take note that i upgraded to a 6506+ 112 combo from the vyper 75 and have sinve invested in over 300 bucks in pedals and cables to get to a sound i like. id say with a limited budget go with a vyper. ive been very happy with mine and still play the crap out of it even tho i own the 6506+ too. but you need to just go check them out to see if you like it too.
Quote by surjer
you should head over to guitar center and try out the vyper amps. you can get some pretty awesome tone out of those amps. i have a vyper 75. make sure to get a vyper 30 or above and get the sanpera pedal to go along with it. im not gonna tell you that you will not want to upgrade but hey, we as guitarist are never happy! lol. also take note that i upgraded to a 6506+ 112 combo from the vyper 75 and have sinve invested in over 300 bucks in pedals and cables to get to a sound i like. id say with a limited budget go with a vyper. ive been very happy with mine and still play the crap out of it even tho i own the 6506+ too. but you need to just go check them out to see if you like it too.

Funny you say that. The only reason I even considered a Vypyr is because I tried it out at GC. I tried the Tube 60, and it was already on a metal setting. I liked it a lot better than my Spider.

I just watched some videos about the 6505+ 112. It sounds pretty good.

Yes, we are NEVER happy .
a 6505+ with an overdrive pedal sounds ridiculous. i've some good tones going with my set up right now. i play heavier music but it'll do what you want too
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
Vypyr 60 is good. I got mine used at GC for $315

Used B52 AT would work too.

Not sure where in NY you are but here is a quick snapshot of some stuff off NYC craigslist:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/msg/2735400339.html 6505+112
http://newyork.craigslist.org/stn/msg/2711724647.html Valveking 212
http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/msg/2728981204.html DSL 201 (didn't know they had a 201)
http://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/msg/2718580607.html Sovtek Mig50
The DSL201 is alright at best. Was my first ever tube amp, and it served me well enough for what I was playing at the time (nothing heavier than coheed and cambria). But the transformers are absolute shite! Kept failing on me, probably spent more on repairs than I did on the actual amp!!!

I'd say 6505+ combo for what you want. Throw in an OD (as mentioned) and it really is nice
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...
Peavey Ultra combo, used. Put in new tubes and you're good to go.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
JCA 20h and 1x12 cab ($350 on zzounds.com) and a good OD like a TS-9, even a Digitech Bad Monkey.
Peavey Ultra is a good sugestion, also look for a used XXX/JSX combo
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate