Page 1 of 2
Everywhere I look these days, I see kids (some look no older than 5!) and adults always playing with some kind of ipad/iphone/droid/itouch, etc. This just reminded me of the time where I had never even used a computer before, thought VHS tapes were cool and made mixtapes on cassetes to give to my friends. Back when I had to buy a playboy mag off someone in school in order to relieve myself.

What do you think of people's obsession with handheld electronics? Do you think it's good or bad? I just realized in middle schools now, kids probably don't even know what CD's are. I remember trading CD's with my friends in the 6th grade and that's how I learned about all kinds of music I would have never heard of otherwise. I couldn't just google "heavy metal bands" and download their songs instantly off itunes.

I'm only 21, pit.
Quote by MiserySignals11
I just realized in middle schools now, kids probably don't even know what CD's are.

This is not the year 2050.
The world changes fast now Anything that makes communication quicker and easier and increases access needs to be seen as a good thing imo

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Look at the old guy!!!!!!!
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by MiserySignals11
Everywhere I look these days, I see kids (some look no older than 5!) and adults always playing with some kind of ipad/iphone/droid/itouch, etc. This just reminded me of the time where I had never even used a computer before, thought VHS tapes were cool and made mixtapes on cassetes to give to my friends. Back when I had to buy a playboy mag off someone in school in order to relieve myself.

What do you think of people's obsession with handheld electronics? Do you think it's good or bad? I just realized in middle schools now, kids probably don't even know what CD's are. I remember trading CD's with my friends in the 6th grade and that's how I learned about all kinds of music I would have never heard of otherwise. I couldn't just google "heavy metal bands" and download their songs instantly off itunes.

I'm only 21, pit.

When was this? My elementary school had crappy lil macs and I'm 23.
Quote by devourke
This is not the year 2050.

Kids these days probably just listen to music from their smartphone or ipod

Quote by Nitnatsnok
When was this? My elementary school had crappy lil macs and I'm 23.

When I grew up, I lived in a "less privileged " place, you can say. I had never really used a computer until I was 14.
Last edited by MiserySignals11 at Dec 5, 2011,
yeah I know that feel. I want my kids to be exposed to having to be creative and active with their fun. probably no video games until they're 11 or 12. even when I had a sega genesis at four or so, I still didn't spend all day playing it. when I was in grade school I preferred to go play in the woods next door with neighborhood kids and play war or something. or do dumb shit like ride down the steep ass hill in front of my house with no hands or something.
#DTWD
I'm getting my first new phone tonight! Wooooo!!!!

If you are 21 OP, how old are you at heart? Your post makes you sound ancient
Quote by slash_GNR666
You sir, are a giant c*** and you finger will forever haunt my dreams.

Quote by Kind, Non-Existant User
Coco-Loco is the finest bit of meat on the butcher block.
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
i got a cellphone at the end of senior year of highschool

i live by my old middleschool and when i pass by i see these 12 year olds with cellphones and it confuses me

Yeah, that gets on my tits man.
Quote by MiserySignals11
What do you think of people's obsession with handheld electronics?

I just blame Facebook/text messaging.
I actually recently bought an iPhone4 since I was due for my biennial upgrade. Only cost me $100 out of my pocket. I can see how it would be really entertaining for young children, but not too sure about the phone. I think most of it is the constant brainwashing of children through commercials, for instance, I have an 8-year-old nephew that carries one of my brother's old cell phones around (not actually working) and I asked him (my nephew) why he did that. He replied, "It's on t.v so it looks cool." These are just my 2cents, brainwashing commercials may not be the real culprit.
Quote by primusfan
yeah I know that feel. I want my kids to be exposed to having to be creative and active with their fun. probably no video games until they're 11 or 12. even when I had a sega genesis at four or so, I still didn't spend all day playing it. when I was in grade school I preferred to go play in the woods next door with neighborhood kids and play war or something. or do dumb shit like ride down the steep ass hill in front of my house with no hands or something.

So true. My neighbor owned sonic the hedghog and we'd play for maybe 20 minutes tops then we'd do something like sell lemonade on the street corner and use the money to buy ice cream cones. We also played football in his backyard and even hide and seek. Now kids just stay indoors. I can't even remember the last time I saw kids playing outside.

Quote by coco-loco
I'm getting my first new phone tonight! Wooooo!!!!

If you are 21 OP, how old are you at heart? Your post makes you sound ancient

I feel sooooo much older than I am. This is a recurring theme in most of my threads.
Quote by MiserySignals11
So true. My neighbor owned sonic the hedghog and we'd play for maybe 20 minutes tops then we'd do something like sell lemonade on the street corner and use the money to buy ice cream cones. We also played football in his backyard and even hide and seek. Now kids just stay indoors. I can't even remember the last time I saw kids playing outside.

Sounds like an attention problem to me

jk/jk
Quote by primusfan

...and despite me taking the piss, I completely agree with this. I am a strong believer that at an early age, excessive time spent on playing video games and watching TV "kills" some natural creativity in our heads. I grew up on about 30 minutes of TV daily (excluding weekends kiddies!), from the age of about 3 through to 10, and I didn't see my first film 'till I was about 5.

I didn't grow up on Disney cartoons. I just watched Play School and maybe the 5 minute segments before and after it. That was it, insofar as "cartoons".

To this day I have seen very few Disney animations*, and I don't feel that I have missed out. I like to think of myself as a relatively creative person and am happy

*I'm talking the old school 2-D animations e.g. Little Mermaid, Aladin, Hercules etc.

Thanks for letting me rant Pit!
Quote by slash_GNR666

Quote by MiserySignals11
I feel sooooo much older than I am. This is a recurring theme in most of my threads.

Haha, naw

I feel for you
Quote by slash_GNR666

Quote by MiserySignals11

I don't know any kids with a smartphone or iPod and I regularly talk to quite a few young uns.
Quote by MiserySignals11
Kids these days probably just listen to music from their smartphone or ipod.

But CD's are still sold in a large quantity
Quote by andyscoot
But CD's are still sold in a large quantity

Boomers and Gen X'ers probably buy most of them.

Quote by devourke
I don't know any kids with a smartphone or iPod and I regularly talk to quite a few young uns.

They really still buy CD's? This is news to me.
Quote by MiserySignals11
Boomers and Gen X'ers probably buy most of them.

You say 'probably' so I'm going to keep on going with what I've seen from the kids that I actually know
Quote by MiserySignals11

When I grew up, I lived in a "less privileged " place, you can say. I had never really used a computer until I was 14.

I never really used a computer until I was about 20. They didn't exist.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by MiserySignals11

I'm only 21, pit.

And when you were in 6th grade trading CD's with your friends, other folk somewhere were complaining about all that modern CD rubbish and how vinyl was better (not that they weren't right, though, but that's beside the point).

Times change.. technology moves forwards, and that's a good thing. If that didn't happen you'd still be living in a cave, wearing animal pelts, and having to chase your dinner before you ate it.
Quote by Jackal58
I never really used a computer until I was about 20. They didn't exist.

20? I thought you wouldn't have used a computer until you were like 50 or something. I always wondered why you were seemingly computer savvy for an old man.
I hate it all, ipods / i anythings all suck. The youth of today don't know anything when it comes to video games too. In my day we had command and conquer and it wasn't easy. You had to figure that shit out, same for sonic on the sega megadrive and jungle strike. Now kids just have the entire game spelt out for them, there's no challenge.
I had a cell phone when I was 14 or so in 1997. A Motorola Startac. Very few kids had cell phones then but that's right about when they started to take off.

I'm glad for todays devices. **** carrying around music on a physical medium like CDs or cassettes. And then having to have a big ass walkman in addition to the cd wallet. Which btw, the zippers of scratched all your cds to hell.

I remember when I had to subscribe to music fan clubs by snail mail. You basically filled out the application on the tear-off sheet inside the sleeve when you got an album. There wasn't much on AOL to look up when it came to music in the early 90s. At least there was headbangers ball.
Last edited by BlackVoid at Dec 5, 2011,
Quote by Zoot Allures
I hate it all, ipods / i anythings all suck. The youth of today don't know anything when it comes to video games too. In my day we had command and conquer and it wasn't easy. You had to figure that shit out, same for sonic on the sega megadrive and jungle strike. Now kids just have the entire game spelt out for them, there's no challenge.

Awwww yeah

The First Decade = AWESOME.
Personally, I think it's awesome. The faster technology advances and the more people become "integrated" with it, the better. No exceptions.
Quote by Zoot Allures

I'm assuming you've never experienced the joys of coming up against a dastardly tactician over Xbox Live?

Humans make way better challenges than CPUs
Quote by Ziphoblat
And when you were in 6th grade trading CD's with your friends, other folk somewhere were complaining about all that modern CD rubbish and how vinyl was better (not that they weren't right, though, but that's beside the point).

Times change.. technology moves forwards, and that's a good thing. If that didn't happen you'd still be living in a cave, wearing animal pelts, and having to chase your dinner before you ate it.

You can't compare that. Vinyl and CD's are physical. You can hold them and read the booklets and everything. Ipods need to be plugged into a computer.

I understand that, but technology is changing too much too soon. My main concern is the kids who take this for granted. Gen Z will have never known life without ipods, computers, cell phones, etc.
Quote by MiserySignals11
Ipods need to be plugged into a computer.

CDs don't really work without computers. They're not exactly ancient tech.
Quote by devourke
CDs don't really work without computers. They're not exactly ancient tech.

CD's are played using stereos and walkmans. You don't need a computer to listen to them. I think you're trying to say CD's are made by the companies on computers.
Good. CD's fuking sucked. Always skipped, even with an"anti-skip function". And VHS were gayer than AIDS. Rewinding those took literally forever.

I wish I was able to download music when I was 13 instead of going to the Library to bootleg some sh*tty CDs they had like Meatloaf or Cyndi Lauper.
The lake was silent for some time. Finally it said:
"I weep for Narcissus, but I never noticed that Narcissus was beautiful. I weep because, each time he knelt beside my banks, I could see, in the depths of his eyes, my own beauty reflected."
When I saw the thread title, I was expecting TS to have discovered that his parents had lied to him his whole life, and he had actually been born years earlier than he thought. I am disappointed.

Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.

Bored? read these, or this
When i was younger we had frikken Rotary Dial Phones...2clickclickclickclickclick, 8clickclickclickclickclick, 4clickclickclickclickclick! 5click.....damn! i ment 6! gotta start allllll over!
Im only 33, but im still not used to these smart phones, i dont even own one or really care to own one. When your car broke down, ya didnt call gieco from a cell phone...you walked along the interstate until you hit an exit to find a phone...and i dont even think there was roadside service then.

I dont own a Smart Phone, or a really nice Cell Phone...my wife has a cheapo virgin mobile phone but its only used for long distance travel. People have become slaves to their electronic devices, they'd probably go insane without them.
Quote by mesopatamius
When I saw the thread title, I was expecting TS to have discovered that his parents had lied to him his whole life, and he had actually been born years earlier than he thought. I am disappointed.

I really ****ing wish that was true.

Quote by WaltTheWerewolf
I dont own a Smart Phone, or a really nice Cell Phone...my wife has a cheapo virgin mobile phone but its only used for long distance travel. People have become slaves to their electronic devices, they'd probably go insane without them.

Quote by MiserySignals11
CD's are played using stereos and walkmans. You don't need a computer to listen to them. I think you're trying to say CD's are made by the companies on computers.

Because you're being silly. iPods and MP3s aren't evil, they're just a more convenient way of listening to music. Why would you lug around a case of CDs and a walkman when you could do the same on a 20 gram mp3 player.
Page 1 of 2