So I'm trying to make this decision, according to EMG the 89 sounds like an 85 with an SA built in, which is EXACTLY what I want, but I've never had a chance to try out an 89, does anybody know how it really does compare to an independent 85/SA?
Quote by fooby.
So I'm trying to make this decision, according to EMG the 89 sounds like an 85 with an SA built in, which is EXACTLY what I want, but I've never had a chance to try out an 89, does anybody know how it really does compare to an independent 85/SA?

I've been playing one for the last 2-3 years in my main guitar. Pretty darn similar to an 85, the split sounds isn't as convincing as the real SA, but then, split humbuckers never are, so for what it is I liked it. I really don't dig EMGs anymore in general though, so I might have a cynical outlook :p
Cheers, that's close enough for me. Do you think the single coil is good enough to bother getting the 89 over the 85? I'm probably going to make the purchase on Wednesday and add 2 SA's in at a later date when I can afford too, but the bridge pickup is what I use 99% of the time. I assume the jack included will fit a strat? I know some are longer than others.
Last edited by fooby. at Dec 5, 2011,
The 89 sounds exactly the same as an 85 in humbucker mode. EMGs don't split the same way as passives do. There is actually 2 pickups in one housing, in this case an 85 and an SA. So the switch just activates the different pickups instead of splitting one in half. See pic below.