I just re-stringed my new fender stratocaster for the first time. I had re-stringed other electric guitars before, however, none with the string-thru-body that the strat has. Anyway, once I finished the whole process, the bridge seems like it is being pulled way too high and the guitar is not even properly in tune yet. Any ideas on what I may have done wrong and how I can fix it?

Thanks
Last edited by metalband84 at Dec 5, 2011,
Seems to be that the gauge of strings you have just put on the strat are heavier than the previous set, thus adding extra tension to the bridge. If you want to keep these strings, loosen them slightly and tighten the screws in the back a small amount at a time, tuning it up after each increment to check the height of the bridge. Make sure to adjust the neck and intonation after this also. If not, try a set of .009's on it, that is what strats are usually set up with.
Were the stings a diiferent gauge? either way, all you have to do is take off tehe back cover with the six screws and tighten the two screws on the claw looking thing. these control the tension of the springs which is not strong enough to overcome the tension of the strings right now.
tpt
Yes, im pretty sure the strings I just put on are of a heavier gauge. I'll try your suggestions.
Thanks again for the help. I decided that I'm just gunna buy a lighter gauge tomorrow instead of adjust it for the heavier strings.
Quote by metalband84
Thanks again for the help. I decided that I'm just gunna buy a lighter gauge tomorrow instead of adjust it for the heavier strings.

It's not hard to adjust it. Just open the back and tighten the screws. No need to sacrifice your preferred string gauge for that. Its pretty simple.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC
It's not hard to adjust it. Just open the back and tighten the screws. No need to sacrifice your preferred string gauge for that. Its pretty simple.

No, I totally understand that it's easy. The heavier strings were all that I had and when I thought about it, I realized that I'd like to keep this guitar a lighter gauge, especially when my other guitar has the heavy strings.