What does quilt top mean?
I wanted an epiphone les paul custom and the one I'm looking at says it's a Les Paul custom electric guitar quilt top... eh?
Cheers.
Quilt top probably means quilted maple top. This is a very beautiful wood, not sure of its tonal qualities though.
Quote by Skullivan
Quilt top probably means quilted maple top. This is a very beautiful wood, not sure of its tonal qualities though.

They just take a thin piece of a nice figured maple and put it on top of the mahogany of the guitar. You know when finishes look like they have tiger stripes/are all ripply? that's usually figured wood. In terms of tonal qualities, maple is very bright and some people say it balances out the darkness of the mahogany but some say it hardly makes a difference. I think it's mostly just an aesthetic thing.
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
It's to do with the wood grain and figuring.

Maple:

Flamed Maple:
Quilted Maple:

Birdseye Maple:

Spalted Maple:

Burl Maple:
Why is banjocal's e-girlfriend such a boss? She's made like five awesome posts in the past hour. I commend you
Quote by Skullivan
Why is banjocal's e-girlfriend such a boss? She's made like five awesome posts in the past hour. I commend you

I have?! Well thank you

and I may actually be a guy, I hope this doesn't change your opinion of me...
It's not an epiphone, it's an "epic" brand copy of the gibson les paul. I'd be worried about quality with a random copy like that.
also that's a pretty boring quilt. hardly looks like one
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
Yeah, you gotta be careful with those les paul knock offs unless its from a well known band. If you are into the les paul style look at an agile or something. At least with that you know what quality you are getting, and the price is still decent.