So last night my band recorded a live performance, in which I used my Tascam 2488 MKii. I ran 3 channels with drums (Recorderman method + kick mic) one mic for each guitar, bass was line in, and with the remaining two tracks, I plugged our four vocal mics into a Xenyx 8 channel mixer, and used the 2 outputs on that to the two remaining inputs on the Tascam.

The sound of the recording wasn't terrible, but I really would have liked to have separate tracks for each of the vocals, and I would have liked to have each of the drums mic'd (Kick, Snare, 2 toms, 2 overheads.

I'm doing live sound/recording for a local festival in mid-January and looking for some system I could use to record and mix up to 16 tracks live. I have a Macbook Pro, so using an interface would be fine, I just need to know what I can do. My budget is probably around $1000.
You'll likely need something that has ADAT expansion on it.

Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 - 8 Inputs + 8 ADAT inputs
Focusrite Octopre - 8 ADAT inputs via ADAT
= 16 total inputs.

Should cost ~$1000 if you buy new from MF or something, or get them on eBay for $7-800 new

You could also save some money and go for a Behringer ADA800, instead of the Octopre. For the price, it's actually surprisingly good, regardless of the Behringer name. If you want better conversion and pres on your main interface, the Steinberg MR816 can be had for $700 from the big retailers, or $600 on eBay B-Stock, with warranty, then you can use whatever ADAT expander you want with that as well and still come in around $1000 if you go the eBay route (the people selling on eBay are authorized dealers, mind you. They're not private sellers and are great to deal with).
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I've heard of ADAT but never really figured it out. It sounds as if I can basically connect two preamps together and run them to the same interface. If they are firewire or USB 2.0, will they still record at 16 individual tracks? If so, this sounds like my ticket, lol.
Mackie Onyx 1640i. $1300 on Ebay. 16 ins, Firewire out. Great little board. Perfect for shows and in the studio.

I use the Onyx 1640 which is the generation before it. They're like $1000 on Ebay and do essentially the same thing. Both are solid boards.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by kibatsume
There's a Mackie Onyx 1640 on Ebay right now for $430. Bid ends in 10 mins, and I'm crying over the fact that I don't have money on hand right now. Oh well, maybe someone else will see it in time and it will be their dream come true.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MACKIE-1640-ONYX-MIXER-/280781023567?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415fda694f

Dang. Totally would've bought it.

You'd still need the FireWire I/O card to make it useful for recording to your computer, but they're not selling for too much on eBay and there's one up right now
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Get two Zoom R16s. They'll record 8 tracks each and can hook up to each other by USB to give twice the recording power.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud