Page 1 of 2
Well.............I posted a thread about epis.....fell in love with a PRS while I was there. No, its not a $1000+ USA, but its (one of the new) SE models:
First off, sorry guys with dial-up.

Wait for it

PRS SE245!!!!!! (you guys may not be excited about it but I'm elated)

Moar pics? Why of course!

Time to see it in all its glory (yes you can see a bit of my strat in it):

As you guys can see, I left spaces in the review so that you can actually read it. We all just love walls of text
Review:
How to I review this? It's a guitar, it feels nice. Same generic thing everyone says.

Specs, nothing special really: flame veneer
mahogany body
maple cap
2 volume 2 tone.
BIRD INLAYS
PRS tuners and tailpiece

That's about it. Feels and definitely sounds better than any of the epis and the faded gibbys.

Only problem is that it's heavy as hell. 11 pounds at the very least I'd say but I don't have a scale. The guy at GC said it's definitely over 12.

I chose this one over the ligher red one because it sounded alot better. Not to mention the sustain on this thing is incredible.

Kinda thick neck, excellent stock humbuckers. No need to replace these things. IMO, everything is a bit better than any of the Epis I tried. Sure, for the same price you get coil taps, gover tuners, worse pups, standard controls.

It's relatively new so if you have any questions feel free to ask.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Why does everyone hate on the faded Gibsons? Other than that HNGD!
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by Most_Triumphant
Why does everyone hate on the faded Gibsons? Other than that HNGD!

Thank you sir! Well, it's not really hating on them. Compared to other guitars in the price range, you get more features on other models (not to mention paint too )

The one I saw was pretty badly scratched and it seemed very easy to dent. I really liked the necks on all of the PRSs I tried but the Gibson was pretty good too. Honestly, I'd rather take one of the Epis (with paint ) over the gibson. There's nothing really special about them
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Yeah some of them are pretty bad, they like to change the specs on some like the faded SG special, but some of the good ones, such as the SG Classic faded have ALL the same features of the nonfaded model minus the paint.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
this is my thread...i am going to make on just like it in like a few days...i have a prs dave navarro se on the way....

i have dial up....so......fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

HNGD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I haz gotten gud
congrats!

looks great.

I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
those bird inlays are sexy. I'll bet they sell tons of the SE models just because of those.
I have a quick question for everyone out there?

Are passive humbuckers supposed to feedback at bedroom volumes? Through my Mustang, if I put a decent amount of gain on it (think say...back in black but with a bit more gain) I get feedback.

Is that normal? Because I really like it. This is my first time owning passive humbuckers so..yeah..
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
ya know, those are designed for the 245 which is a shout to the old lesters.

it's possible they don't have wax potted pups.

i don't know honestly, but it wouldn't surprise me.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Congrats, got one of these in the first batch that came to the UK, even though I want to change my pickups to BKP's, but thats just because I love BKP's. Anyway enjoy the guitar
Guitars:
  • 40th Annivesary Strat USA
  • BC Rich Mockingbird ST
  • ESP LTD M200UC w/ BKP Aftermath's
  • Parker P38
  • Ibanez RG7321 w/D-sonic and Liquifire
  • Tangglewood TW47 B
  • PRS SE 245
  • Edwards E-EX-110D Stain Cloudy Black
I'm actually gasing for a red one. When I,ll have it, im probably throwing a high output PRS pickup in the bridge and a Tonepros AVT2 to repalce the non-intonable tailpiece. anyways, HNGD!!

How are the stock pickups for clean/crunch/leads?
Last edited by n1ckn1ce at Dec 6, 2011,
I want oooonnnnnnnneeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HNGD anyway.
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
Quote by JKHC
Thank you sir! Well, it's not really hating on them. Compared to other guitars in the price range, you get more features on other models (not to mention paint too )

The one I saw was pretty badly scratched and it seemed very easy to dent. I really liked the necks on all of the PRSs I tried but the Gibson was pretty good too. Honestly, I'd rather take one of the Epis (with paint ) over the gibson. There's nothing really special about them

So paint is more important than tone to you?
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
HNGD, I was looking at one myself. I was put of by what sounded like a rather large neck, coming from an ESP and LTD I get the feeling it would have felt like a bat in my hand. How is it?
HNGD!
Quote by JKHC
I have a quick question for everyone out there?

Are passive humbuckers supposed to feedback at bedroom volumes? Through my Mustang, if I put a decent amount of gain on it (think say...back in black but with a bit more gain) I get feedback.

Is that normal? Because I really like it. This is my first time owning passive humbuckers so..yeah..

I don't believe passive humbuckers are specifically designed to do that. But guitar to guitar I get more/less feedback -- and of course depending on where I sit/stand makes the biggest difference...
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
Quote by Basti95
Welcome to the family! Bird inlays > everything else

x100000

Quote by JesusCrisp
So paint is more important than tone to you?

No, I said that I really liked the necks on the SEs compared to the Gibsons. That's the reason I wanted a new guitar, because I hated the neck on my ART300. For tones, I wouldn't say I prefer the PRS to the Gibson, they're different.

Not sure if I'm going crazy but IMO, the PRS SE245 humbuckers sound PAF-ish.........
And aren't the burstbuckers which come on the faded models supposed to be modern PAF replicas?

Quote by n1ckn1ce
I'm actually gasing for a red one. When I,ll have it, im probably throwing a high output PRS pickup in the bridge and a Tonepros AVT2 to repalce the non-intonable tailpiece. anyways, HNGD!!

How are the stock pickups for clean/crunch/leads?

The stock pickups are pretty good for stock pickups. Alot of clarity even with alot of gain. Another reason I chose this over the Epis/Gibsons. Those sounded sort of flat, lacked the clarity of the SE stock humbuckers.

But there is feedback on very high gain channels, even at a bedroom volume. As gregs mentioned, they probably aren't wax potted.

As for clean, these pickups shine on a clean setting IMO. You can really hear that treble cutting through and decent midrange.

So, good cleans and crunch. For leads you're probably going to want a noise gate for the feedback but the notes are very vivid and don't get lost like they do with many stock humbuckers.

I don't get why PRS would have a 9 string gauge on a 24.5 scale lengh
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Last edited by JKHC at Dec 6, 2011,
nomnomnomnomnomnom

pretty much every PRS is awesome, you'll have a good time with one for sure mate HNGD
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Nice. was thinking of getting a backup for my CE and was looking at some SEs, dno if i'll buy one though as i need to save the money.
Quote by kirky boy
I have the same strap as the one you have on your strat HNGD

I was planning on getting a similar strap for this one but it's too heavy so I sort of needed a thicker one.

For anyone planning on getting one, both the SE245s I tried were quite a bit heavier than any of the *modern* LPs.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC
I don't get why PRS would have a 9 string gauge on a 24.5 scale lengh

9 on 24.5? WHAT THE HELL!!!!

I'm playing 11-52 on a 25.5 in standard When i'll own one, i'll get thicker strings :P

Alright, i shut up. How loose are they?

(on a side note: TS, you seem to like brown/tobacco burst ^^)
Last edited by n1ckn1ce at Dec 6, 2011,
Quote by n1ckn1ce

Alright, i shut up. How loose are they?

(on a side note: TS, you seem to like brown/tobacco burst ^^)

What makes you think I like tobacco burst? They only had it in 2 colors and the red looks horrible.

They're not as loose as I thought. I'm used to 10s on a 25.5 and 10s on a 24.7, I'd change them to my regulars but they're so shiny! I'll wait till the shine wears off a bit then do it.

The sad thing was I was planning on keeping this one in e flat but it surpassed my expectations so this and my strat will be sharing standard My ibanez can take care of all the other tunings.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC
What makes you think I like tobacco burst? They only had it in 2 colors and the red looks horrible.

Because of the brown-tobaco-thing burst strat ^^
Quote by n1ckn1ce
Because of the brown-tobaco-thing burst strat ^^

Ahh....well for that one I got $100 off for buying the floor models. So I had a choice of sunburst w/rosewood or black w/maple and the burst felt better so I got that.

I probably shouldn't mention my ibanez is brown but....... I actually hate the finish on the ibanez but it was my first guitar and it serves me well.

And n1ckn1ce, you mentioned you wanted the red 245. I feel inclined to point out that it looks worse in person than it does in the stock pictures.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by n1ckn1ce
Sorry to bump, i was just wondeing how thick is it? They arent in stock near here so :/

About as thick (probably thicker) as a Gibson/Epi LP. The other SE guitars are much thinner.

EDIT: This is the first time I've played my strat after getting the PRS and IMO, the fender feels like a toy now.

One thing to note, the PRS is bay far the most uncomfy guitar to play standing up. It's way too thick and weighs a ton more than any other guitar Ive tried. I don't gig so it doesn't bother me much. Just a heads up
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Last edited by JKHC at Dec 10, 2011,
Alright then, knowing this i'll head to the tremonti model. Altough, i'll miss the flame maple...
(BTW, i meant how many inch thick, sorry i didnt said it right :P)
Quote by n1ckn1ce
Alright then, knowing this i'll head to the tremonti model. Altough, i'll miss the flame maple...

I'll measure it tomorrow and tell you
The headstock is the tiny prs kind if it matters

The neck is pretty wide like many other PRSs. IMO, not the best for shredding/anything fast. It's very comfy though. It's all preference.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Last edited by JKHC at Dec 11, 2011,
Quote by ApatheticMe
this is my thread...i am going to make on just like it in like a few days...i have a prs dave navarro se on the way....

i have dial up....so......fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

HNGD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That guitar dos not exist

There is the Dave navarro sig, but it is like $3000USD. Theydo not make an SE version. If you are buying one it is not real, it is a fake.

Sorry to burst your bubble.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly

There is the Dave navarro sig, but it is like $3000USD. Theydo not make an SE version. If you are buying one it is not real, it is a fake.

Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC

yeah am I the only one who caught that?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
That guitar dos not exist

um...it does exist it is just new....

it is not on the site though...and the only place that i have seen that has them is...

sweetwater....here is the linky....

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SEDNJW/

i will make a ngd when i feels like it...i dont want to put it down long enought o take good pics...
I haz gotten gud
Quote by ApatheticMe
um...it does exist it is just new....

it is not on the site though...and the only place that i have seen that has them is...

sweetwater....here is the linky....

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SEDNJW/

i will make a ngd when i feels like it...i dont want to put it down long enought o take good pics...

Well I guess I stand corrected

I checked on the PRS site, but it is not listed.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Well I guess I stand corrected

I checked on the PRS site, but it is not listed.

you actually had me worried for a bit...i mean i know it is real and such but still made me turn red....

yeah idk why they dont have it on the prs site....you would think they would have updated to include it...

TS....i get how stratss feel like toys now...(even though mine is a squire affinity strat)....the prs wide thin neck feels like home...
I haz gotten gud
Quote by n1ckn1ce

I measured approx 2 1/4 inches at the cutaway. So between 2 and 2 1/2 throughout because of the slight curve.

Am I the only one that wonders why most SE models have the same pups, same neck, similar shapes???? Look at the santana and bernie models. They're almost identical!
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Page 1 of 2