when i touch the height adjustment pickup screws on my strat, the guitar makes a cracklin/ground problem sounding noise. i want to know how this can be, since the screws arent connected to the circuit at all ?

only the selected pickup(s) make noise when i touch the screws...

any ideas?
You are acting as the ground circuit by touching those screws. Generally this isn't a problem but on some guitars it is. I put metal rings around the center singles in two guitars and every time I touched that ring it would buzz like mad. I had to run a wire from the rings to the common ground on the volume pot. No more buzz.
i have plastic covers, but they are chrome colored, and id like to keep them. so what can i actually do ?
Quote by bonnerik
what rings are you talking about ?

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Hardware,_parts/Electric_guitar:_Covers_plates/Metal_Mounting_Rings_for_Single-coil_Pickups.html?actn=100101&xst=3&xsr=636

I use brass rings around my singles just like the plastic rings that come around a humbucker. I like it better than the open hole in the top of the guitars that traditional single mounting leaves.

You can wrap a wire around the screw itself for each pickup and run them all together to the common ground on the volume pot to ground them out.
ok i see. so all 6 screws or just one screw per pickup ? also, is this because i have my new pickup covers colored in chrome ? i know they are made of plastic, but does it have something to do with the type of paint they used?
It could. Even chrome paint in metallic. I'd have to see how they are mounted. It seems like they should have attached a shield cable, which isn't usually necessary with regular pickups with plastic tops. I'm wondering if the screws and the chrome are making contact and picking up buzz. You may be able to run just one wire from any metal contact point on the pickup shell if they are all touching somehow and ground it all with one wire per pickups. Can you get any photos up so we can take a better look?
Last edited by poppameth at Dec 6, 2011,
sure, give me an hour, gotta make dinner now. only the screws buzz when contact, not the pickup cover itself. and its mounted just like a normal strat, but ill get you pictures in a moment
i now realise you wanted pictures of the pickups under the pickguard, ill get you those pictures in a couple of days, when im opening it up anyway for another reason. what i want to know is how i can touch the pickup covers without noise, but when i touch the screws there is, and if the screws are connected to the curcuit through the pickup cover, shouldnt the cover also give me noise ?
That's what I would assume. I think it's just acting as a conductor that is giving you noise when you touch it because it isn't grounded. The PUP cover is either grounded or not conductive enough to need grounding Mine was the same way with the rings. The screws and rings touched but neither of them was connected to ground and they were screwed into plastic pickup mounts. Either way, adding the ground wire took care of it.

If this is a normal strat, when you remove the pick guard we'll see if there is a metal plate or foil on the back of it that the screws are touching. If so it, may be possible that the whole cavity is not wired to ground correctly. You should have a connection from that plate to the common ground.
i put the covers in myself about a week ago when i replaced all electronics. there is no plate or tinfoil at all, everything is as on a normal strat, except the chrome painted pickup covers.

im planning on redrilling a few holes for new threads later this week, or beginning of next week, then ill get you the pictures.

thanks for the replies.
http://www.stevesmusiccenter.com/FenderStratocaster1979BackOfPickguard.jpg

Take a look at that photo. The entire back of the pickguard is covered with foil. The pots mount to that and since they are metal they serve to connect the common ground from the volume pot to the pickguard. Now the pickup screws would also go through that foil thus connecting them to the common ground as well. If you are missing this foil then your cavity is not shielded correctly and you need to add the shielding to fix the problem.

You can pickup up a roll of aluminum duct tape at Lowes for about $10. It's self stick so you'd just cover the back of the pickguard with it and trim it slightly back from the edges. Cut out for the holes in it but keep the foil close to those edges and place the electronics back in place. See if that fixes the problem.
my pickguard is all covered in tinfoil, so thats odd. guess im gonna have to connect the screws to common ground then. then i have a question, would i need one wire per screw (6) or one wire per pickup ? what boggles my mind is how the pickup screws arent grounded through the normal pickup ground wire, if the screws are connected to the curcuit THROUGH the pickup, shouldnt they share the ground aswell ?
Even chrome paint in metallic. I'd have to see how they are mounted. It seems like they should have attached a shield cable, which isn't usually necessary with regular pickups with plastic tops. I'm wondering if the screws and the chrome are making contact and picking up buzz.
Quote by jackpeter58
Even chrome paint in metallic. I'd have to see how they are mounted. It seems like they should have attached a shield cable, which isn't usually necessary with regular pickups with plastic tops. I'm wondering if the screws and the chrome are making contact and picking up buzz.

That's all I can think as well. You may just be able to attache a ground wire to each cover and eliminate the buzz that way.
ok thanks for all the replies.
might get you some pictures by tomorrowing so you guys can take a look, and see if i did something wrong.