is it strange to have only Soprano and Bass voices for songs (in a 4 part harmony composition) ? or is it completely fine?

-I'm putting together a medley and we're a bit short on people, but we have enough people to where I think it may sound boring with just one melody line-
Soprano and bass is a little unusual, just because they represent the two extremes. It would sound like you had a big hole in the middle.

Typically, simpler choral arrangements for children are soprano and alto, as boys whose voices have not yet changed typically sing alto.

Who is singing here? Most adult voices are mezzo and baritone. It would be a most unusual group to be made up of exclusively sopranos and basses.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
well, this is for a Christmas Carol-type medley, so I've noticed soprano part = recognizable melody
so: girls - soprano , guys - bass (maybe tenor) ; the age group= teenagers
and it'd be in the key of C or D, since that's generally comfortable for everyone

and since S&B really are the basic parts, I was thinking out necessity it shouldn't sound too bad?
Wait, so you have a four part piece, but only have sopranos (probably mezzos) and baritones (you probably don't have any real basses) available to you? Welcome to every choir ever. Tenors (and to a lesser extent, altos) are in short supply and more often than not someone who isn't truly a tenor will sing the part because they're comfortable enough in that range. Men have the wonderful ability to flip into falsetto really easily and grab the odd pitch that's out of their natural voice. As long as you don't have the tenors soaring on high Gs and the altos way down on Bs you should be fine.
It's kind of strange that you only have male basses and female sopranos...
But in any case, to answer your question, it will sound "fine" but strange. You're piece will lack depth since you're missing the inner voices which support the two high and low extremes. I would see if some of your singers could stretch their range just so it won't sound so empty in the middle registry.
Quote by RoboMeep
and since S&B really are the basic parts, I was thinking out necessity it shouldn't sound too bad?

it will sound VERY hollow. if you have to have two voices, don't make them soprano and bass. jrf is right -- chances are you have mezzos and baritones.

if i were the choral director, i would analyze every person individually and probably opt for a 3 part harmony.

how many vocalists do you have in total?
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Last edited by AeolianWolf at Dec 5, 2011,
Okay, I don't understand. Is the issue that you want to write a two part piece with bass and soprano lines, or that you want to have a four part piece, but only have bass and soprano people? If it's the first, don't do it, if it's the second, read my first post.
okay, so I'm saying I was thinking of assigning them just the S&B parts- using this music , since those are easy, if that's weird, then if I were to do 3 parts, which are the best to assign? (sorry for confusion)
It would be like a brass arrangement for cornet and tuba. Get some trumpets, baritones and trombones in there to fill out the middle and you're golden. Otherwise, big wonky hole in the middle.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by RoboMeep
okay, so I'm saying I was thinking of assigning them just the S&B parts- using this music , since those are easy, if that's weird, then if I were to do 3 parts, which are the best to assign? (sorry for confusion)

I'm a (terrible) baritone and that tenor line would be perfectaly comfortable for me to sing, as long as it's not for hours and hours and hours and that alto line would be manageable for almost every soprano. I still say just assign all the parts and regardless of what actual voice parts you have, all the parts can get covered.
thanks everyone, I'll take your advice and assign A&T if the people are willing