I've just started trying to learn guitar (within past 2 weeks), and at this point I'm playing with my dad's Fender Squier. I saw this deal on craigslist and wanted to see what everyone's take on it was. It's a '97 Yamaha Pacifica 112 (he thinks it's a 97). Here's the link so that you can see the 2 pictures he has: http://tricities.craigslist.org/msg/2707548076.html . He's only asking $85 and it seems like a pretty good deal for a starter, but wanted to see what everyone's opinion was. I know the current 112V's are highly regarded for the price range, but wasn't sure where this one fit in.

There's also a Mexican Fender Stratocaster for sale for $200 obo, but I don't know if it's still available and the description is "a scratch here or there, not too dinged up and it plays very nicely" (no pics in the ad). Should I wait for something else, or are one (or both) of these good deals to get started with (if it helps, I'm interested in rock music, but would like for the guitar to be fairly versatile in case I want to play something else, once I learn how). Thanks in advance.Good deal for a beginner? 1997 Pacifica 112
The pacifica is decent and the Fender is a pretty good deal. What squier are you using? If its one of the higher end ones, the pacifica won't be much of an upgrade (if at all) and neither will the Fender.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by brandonandsue
It's a Squier Strat Affinity.

The Mexi Strat is definitely an upgrade from an Affinity; however its still not a masterpiece. Mexi Fenders are hit and miss. Some of the higher-end Squiers outclass a MExi. Play it first, then decide what you want. I'd personally save the 200 and go for something a little better.
There's room for all of God's creatures; Right next to the mashed potatoes.