Page 1 of 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBOMZBxQAjc

I'm new to it, so its a total newb question; straight up "Punk" isn't it, because if I go on last.fm and enter that, all it gives me is bands like Black Flag and The Ramones, which I'm not crazy about. I'm being real picky, so I'll just tell you what I like about the song and then I'll scram

- Its not that super fast tempo drums you hear. I hate those, its just got its own drum beat and I really like that.

- Its not a riff that consists of 2-3 power chords. Sure there are some, and power chords aren't evil by any stretch, but when it gets as repetitive as the Ramones, I lose interest.

- The solo is pretty cool

- Its a vocal melody; someone not screaming "Rise above, we're gonna rise above" with some lick in between there.

Am I being way to picky? Probably. But can I have a few recommendations of bands to? As long as its not emo, lol.

*PS* IF anyone says its grunge, lock your doors. Its the most overused, loose term to describe songs. I've heard all the grunge bands anyway, lol.

Thanks.
There's room for all of God's creatures; Right next to the mashed potatoes.
... but it is grunge... I understand what you mean by saying that grunge is overused but sometimes it's used completely appropriately. One of my favorite genres is emo (true emo like Fugazi, Embrace, Husker Du, etc) but what immediately comes to most people's minds is the fruitcore of the mid 2000's, that doesn't mean emo shouldn't be used as a label period. Otherwise I think the closest thing that would describe this is hardcore. Bands like leftover crack and youth of today have a very similar sound.
Last edited by BoxCarRacer1 at Dec 5, 2011,
It's grunge, bro.

The problem with things like this is you're probably looking for something that sounds just like this song. And that's not gonna happen. 'Cause, you know, that would be plagiarism. Nirvana synthesized a lot of influences, so nobody really sounds close enough to them to satisfy you Except lame Nirvana ripoff bands that suck, and even they hardly ever do it right.

I don't see what you think is so contemptible about Black Flag. This song doesn't really have a real melody either. And is there really any intrinsic virtue in having a melody? Whatever.

The closest band I can think of is Fang. But you gotta be more open to different sounds if you ever wanna like anything new.
Quote by neidnarb11890
Fugazi's not emo, Husker Du aren't emo, gtfo.

Fugazi isn't emo at all, but I can tolerate people calling them that. But saying Hüsker Dü is emo is wtf.
Last edited by █▐▌█▐▌ at Dec 5, 2011,
Quote by BoxCarRacer1
... but it is grunge... I understand what you mean by saying that grunge is overused but sometimes it's used completely appropriately. One of my favorite genres is emo (true emo like Fugazi, Embrace, Husker Du, etc) but what immediately comes to most people's minds is the fruitcore of the mid 2000's, that doesn't mean emo shouldn't be used as a label period. Otherwise I think the closest thing that would describe this is hardcore. Bands like leftover crack and youth of today have a very similar sound.

The only real complaint I have on those is the "half singing/half talking" vocals they have. One of the reasons I admire Kurt Cobain is the melodic vocals he had. They just flowed with the song.

I'm not trying to be stubborn; I've listened to some straight up punk and I just can't get anything out of it. I'm almost looking for a little more heavy of a Dinosaur Jr with my little "Mystery Punk" thing going on.

Thank you for your help though, I appreciate it a lot.

EDIT: I second that; Husker Du doesn't really sound emo at all.
Last edited by dkeenan at Dec 5, 2011,
Early emo was just hardcore with an humanistic emphasis and that's what later Husker Du centered on (Mould songs at least) though a better example probably woulda been Rites
If it helps, Green day's Dookie CD is among my favorite CDs, and thats punk.
Hüsker Dü (espesh Zen Arcade) was a huge influence on the Revolution Summer bands' sound, so I don't see how it's wtf to call them emo. I mean, they aren't emo, and I'd never call them emo, but they've got a lot in common sonically with those bands, so it's not THAT surprising people might call 'em that.

Wait, you like Green Day and Nirvana? Check out Jawbreaker. I knew someone who was in a similar situation to you and he loves Jawbreaker, plus, they're my favorite band so get on dat.
Last edited by due 07 at Dec 5, 2011,
Well I've only ever liked Dü's early stuff so I guess that's why it was wtf to me. Now that I think about it I can hear their influence in, like, Dag Nasty, but I always thought Dag Nasty sucked, so eh.
Quote by due 07
Hüsker Dü (espesh Zen Arcade) was a huge influence on the Revolution Summer bands' sound, so I don't see how it's wtf to call them emo. I mean, they aren't emo, and I'd never call them emo, but they've got a lot in common sonically with those bands, so it's not THAT surprising people might call 'em that.

Shut up.

Wait, you like Green Day and Nirvana? Check out Jawbreaker.

Yes.
You could try some alternative rock/metal. Such as Dinosaur Jr. or At the Drive-In.
Doesn't sound like any kind of punk to me.

But then again, neither does Jawbreaker so maybe you should go along with that recommendation.
Quote by toby_guy
You could try some alternative rock/metal. Such as Dinosaur Jr. or At the Drive-In.
Metal?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by neidnarb11890
Shut up.

Yes.

lol go pull the stick out of your ass. this is the paradigm and paradox of musical labels. when you categorize a band as one label you effectively trap them. go listen to some rites of spring, dag nasty, or any of those other late 80s bands especially from the DC scene and compare as previously mentioned Zen Arcade to them. there is so little difference in many of the songs, it's nearly indistinguishable (in terms of instrumentation and lyrics). but if you want to be a harcore labelist then ignore everyone before your hemorrhoids act up again.
Quote by BoxCarRacer1
lol go pull the stick out of your ass. this is the paradigm and paradox of musical labels. when you categorize a band as one label you effectively trap them. go listen to some rites of spring, dag nasty, or any of those other late 80s bands especially from the DC scene and compare as previously mentioned Zen Arcade to them. there is so little difference in many of the songs, it's nearly indistinguishable (in terms of instrumentation and lyrics). but if you want to be a harcore labelist then ignore everyone before your hemorrhoids act up again.

Shut up, fag.
If it's not from DC, it's not emo.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
grunge sucks anyway
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by element4433
Metal?

Alternative rock and metal are sometimes considered similar.
Uh, if you like Nirvana, you should check out Bikini Kill.

On metal: Lately my friends & I have been listening to lots of Earth (ya know, the guy who gave Kurt the gun he blew [lol, get it?] his brains out with's band?). They're sweet.
Last edited by neidnarb11890 at Dec 6, 2011,
Quote by toby_guy
Alternative rock and metal are sometimes considered similar.
No they aren't.

There is nothing about Dinosaur Jr that is metal. There is nothing about At the Drive in that is metal.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by neidnarb11890
Uh, if you like Nirvana, you should check out Bikini Kill.

On metal: Lately my friends & I have been listening to lots of Earth (ya know, the guy who gave Kurt the gun he blew [lol, get it?] his brains out with's band?). They're sweet.
Yeah I like Earth somewhat. Their newer stuff though.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by element4433
Yeah I like Earth somewhat. Their newer stuff though.

Yeah, I've only listened to their more recent stuff.
Quote by █▐▌█▐▌
I've been meaning to listen to Earth. I've had Earth 2 for over a year. Didn't know they killed Kurt Cobain. That's cool.

Yeah, Dylan Carlson of Earth was Kurt's best friend. He bought him the shotgun and at the time didn't think he was suicidal which has been used as fuel for the whole conspiracy bullshit.

"His best friend never would have bought him a gun if he thought he was suicidal, right? And who knows better that you're suicidal than your best friend, right? RIGHT???"
I'm in the huge minority that likes the term "grunge." I think it fits the sound and aesthetic of that style of music very well.

Grunge rules.
I saw an interview with Janet Weiss & she was talkin' about how great Double Nickels on the Dime is & she was like "The Minutemen basically started the whole flannel wearing trend, Kurt Cobain can thank them for that" & I was like "whoah, Mike Watt invented grunge. "
Quote by neidnarb11890
I saw an interview with Janet Weiss & she was talkin' about how great Double Nickels on the Dime is & she was like "The Minutemen basically started the whole flannel wearing trend, Kurt Cobain can thank them for that" & I was like "whoah, Mike Watt invented grunge. "

...yeah...I don't think so.

The whole flannel wearing trend came from being from Seattle.
Quote by █▐▌█▐▌
I should listen to Melvins sometime. What album shall it be? Houdini is popular, right? I don't want anything too YARRRLy in the vocal department.

Houdini is my favorite of theirs, and probably the easiest to get into.

But I would also recommend Ozma and A Senile Animal (more recent 2006 I think).
Quote by █▐▌█▐▌
Ya grunge sucks but Nirvana is excellent.

yeah, Nirvana's ok. too many kids get stuck on em though and tend to believe they're the "one band to rule them all" (i was one of them)
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Could we maybe perhaps keep Kurt Dead out of the punk forum, and though him into the 'overrated, naive and decapitated' forum? Thanks.

I also have a rabid dislike for the UK prog rock band called Nirvana.
Quote by iwannabesedated
...yeah...I don't think so.

The whole flannel wearing trend came from being from Seattle.
Minutemen was definitely the first of the flannel wearing bands.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by iwannabesedated
Nirvana's still probably my favorite band.

that's cool, i like nirvana too. i just meant i pretty much only listened to them (and sublime) for 2 years of my life. then only NOFX the year after that. i was a turd. i'd probably punch my younger self in the face if i ever had a time machine.

Quote by neidnarb11890
Yeah, UK prog rock sucks.

i hate prog in general. watching yes on acid was ok, but other than that it all bores the **** out of me. my friend listens to nothing but prog, grateful dead, and dead kennedys (weird right?)
Hawkwind is pretty cool despite the lame vocals, and they seem up yr alley, NEIDNARB11890 (or at least the adjacent alley). Plus the Pink Fairies and the Deviants were punk as ****, which is remarkable considering they were hippies.
Talk about a topic change, lol
Hmm, I listened to Earth 2 a couple months ago actually and it didn't tickle my fancy.

Quote by jakesmellspoo
yeah, Nirvana's ok. too many kids get stuck on em though and tend to believe they're the "one band to rule them all" (i was one of them)

I was never one of those kids, but, like, half of my friends were, lul. I like them alright. Nevermind was the third album I ever bought, way back when.

Hey, so about prog, has anyone listened to In the Court of the Crimson King? If yes, is it worth my time? I want to listen to it, but I'm thinking, "Ihhh, prog sucks."
I got into Nirvana becuz my mom was listening to her copy Nevermind. tr00 story.

I've listened to In the Court of the Crimson King, "21st Century Schizoid Man" is a cool song, but the rest of the album didn't do much for me. Fripp without Eno isn't as fun.
I give it a listen every once in a while. "21st Century Schizoid Man" is the only track I've ever been able to get into, really.

EDIT: ^FUKU
Page 1 of 2