Hey, so changed my mind on the axefx, too much money, pretty over kill for me

So im gonna be looking at a small 112 combo to bring to univeristy with me. I dont really want to hve to explain this again but im not gonna be on rez with volume nazis. Ill be in a house near the school with a bunch of musicians i know, so itll all be good.

So a 112 hopefully tube combo, 15w is proly more than i need. Lets say around 500$ for this thing, im in canada near toronto.

Amps im checking out

Egnater tweaker 15
Valveking 112
Blackstar ht5r
Vypyr 30
Keep my spider III 75w and bring that
Roland cube

(id really rather not bring an SS amp)

I mainly play metal, but also play alot of stuff clean and low gain, so having it versatile is important. To explain better, in my band i play metal, at home i dont play specfic generes, necessarily, just bits and pieces of everything.

So i really like the tweaker but can it get as heavy as ill need it?
Can it handle a 7 string too?

Ive though about bringing my peavey but the rooms are just too small for it, sp this thing has to be able to fit under a desk easily, which is alot to ask for from a 112 amp i know
Low wattage tube amps and metal usually don't fit in the same sentence, and you'd still have to crank the little guy to get a good saturated metal tone. That's still pretty damn loud, for example a 5W tube amp will be about half the volume of a 50W tube amp through the same speakers. Which is pretty damn loud.

The tweaker is a nifty little amp (not sure about how heavy it gets, though it's not what the amp is aimed for) and honestly most of the switches would be kinda pointless to play at low volumes. That's only my opinion though, try to find one and see if it works well with your ears or find a Youtube clip with it at a low volume.

The vypyr isn't a bad option, especially if you want the br00tz. It's small, does a decent job at modeling, and you can pick them up used very easy (saving precious college money too ). They make a good practice and college amp when playing your bigger ones isn't an option, like at 3 in the morning or when your roommates have people over.

People have mixed feelings about the Blackstar after owning them for a bit and it's technically a hybrid. Personally I don't care for their tone too much, but once again that's for you to decide upon. You still have to turn up the volume on these past conversation volume to get a good saturated metal tone.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Peavey tube Vypyr combo.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
I agree with what's been said.

Out of quiet, valve and metal, you can generally only have two of the three at once.
There are plenty of quiet valve amps, plenty of quiet metal amps, plenty of metal tube amps....but a quiet valve metal amp? Madness!
Quote by kyle62
I agree with what's been said.

Out of quiet, valve and metal, you can generally only have two of the three at once.
There are plenty of quiet valve amps, plenty of quiet metal amps, plenty of metal tube amps....but a quiet valve metal amp? Madness!

What about Engl E530 using the 1.5 Watt built in amplifier?
Quote by newplayer008
What about Engl E530 using the 1.5 Watt built in amplifier?

The built in amp is SS, and you'll not be able to be heard without a speaker and power amp anyway.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Not look for something whisper quiet but ok......

Im atill leaning towards the tweaker and if it doesnt get the high gains ill sometimes use, then ill run my POD HD into the effects return or 4cm to get that
Meh, i think its ok, especially or the price, but I know id rather play a tube amp. Mreh, looks like ill just have to get out there and try a tweaker or something similr and also try it when its amplifying my POD if on its own it cant do high gain.
Honestly, with no offence intended I think you might have some subconscious tube snobbery going on :P.

For low volume metal, I think your POD is one of the best choices out there.

See if you can find a used Atomic Reactor 112. That would breathe some valve-y goodness into your Pod.
Just take your spider then if somebody steals or damages it it won't matter.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification