So sadly I'm trading out one of my guitars for an SG... Well, it's not that sad. From what I can tell, their neck heel will be much more comfortable as well as having deeper cutouts... However, they have a major drawback from the LP style guitar I'm swapping it for... They're have much thinner bodies. From what I can hear, they have a lot more upper mids, as opposed to the low and and low mids of the LPs. However, I'm getting one for playing comfort and I figured I could balance a bit with a different set of pickups.

I've been told my amp responds well to "mid output" pickups, is this like vintage/standard PAF style? I currently use Dimarzios in both of my guitars, and the LP has Super 2's which are listed as 400 mV, as opposed to the PAF's in my other one, which are ~285 mV. I figure I want something that has a happy medium as far as output. However, I don't want the instrument to be too mid heavy, seeing as SG's are already fairly middy guitars. I guess I need a pickup that doesn't boost mids too much as well as cleans up nicely with the volume knob. I've checked Seymour Duncan as well as Dimarzio; does anyone else have any suggestions for where I should look for pickups?

BTW, I play mostly Stoner/Doom with a lot of clean passages.

Cheers!
Maximum volume yields maximum goats.
"SG" doesn't tell us much. Gibson? Agile? Epi? etc.

that will help us out a little better

whats your budget?

closest major city?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Check out the Iommi signature pickups, I have and love them. They clean up nicely with the volume control and keep their clarity with the gain cranked. Nice highs. Awesome pickups.

Some people don't like them but I do. They are expensive though.

You can get a really cool blues tone out of them with one in the neck position as well.
Last edited by mh1986 at Dec 6, 2011,
It's between either an Epi G400, a Valkyrie III and a Xaviere SG. What I get will be determined by what feels most comfortable to play. That aside, I've also heard that the Valkyries are a little bit thicker body-wise compared to the "classic SG" body. I figure this might round out the bottom end a bit?

Budget ~$150 for a set.

Closest city is Baton Rouge, next would be NOLA. I'm unsure why this is particularly relevant, seeing as how most suggestions are found online anyway.

PS: I'm just looking for other ideas for pickup brands really... I'm not exactly expecting a "perfect" answer.

PPS: BKPs are out of the question, unless they're commonly seen used for a lot less.
Quote by Quinlan
... However, I don't want the instrument to be too mid heavy, seeing as SG's are already fairly middy guitars. I guess I need a pickup that doesn't boost mids too much as well as cleans up nicely with the volume knob. ...

Cheers!

DM: http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/humbuckers/high-power/steve-s-special.

For BKP, go with the Alnico Warpig: http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/pickups.php?cat=humbuckers&sub=contemporary&pickup=warpig

But, to keep it simple, the Gibson 498T would work extremely well, specially with a dark-sounding amp like an Orange Rockerverb. It's also the stock PU of the Gibson SG Standard.

Quote by mh1986
Check out the Iommi signature pickups, I have and love them. They clean up nicely with the volume control and keep their clarity with the gain cranked. Nice highs. Awesome pickups.

Some people don't like them but I do. They are expensive though.

You can get a really cool blues tone out of them with one in the neck position as well.

This man isn't too far off track actually.I play C-tuned stoner/doom on my epi Tony Iommi.
The pick-ups are really nice.mh1986 is completely correct,the neck pick-up is great for blues,really powerful.The bridge pick-up cuts through thick distortion well to retain a lot of clarity.Volume knob respons nicely,but epis are notorious for their cheap pots.Not a drastic operation to put better ones in.
I find SG's to be a really good choice for Stoner/Doom.Strats aren't beefy enough,Les Pauls become a bit too muddy,whilst SGs sit happily.The epiphone Tony Iommi is a bit better in terms of build quality and QC than standard epi's,as they are made in Korea as opposed to China.
On their own,the Iommi-buckers are quite expensive,but when you buy them in an Epi Iommi,they are much cheaper.My epi cost $500 Australian dollars,only $100 more than what it woud cost just to buy the pick-ups.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Thanks for the replies! Sorry if my response made me seem like an ass, it's finals week and I just wasn't understanding the relevance of nearest city and I always see BKPs suggested, however they're just out of my price range.

The thing is, if the guitar was as dark as an LP I'd go ahead and just put some Super 2s in it. Because they sound awesome in my LP, but from what I can tell, SG's just have less bottom end and a lot more mids, so I'm afraid they might sound really obnoxious instead of balanced.

I have some PAFs in my LTD MH400, and I have a feeling that I would like something like those, just maybe a little brighter and a little hotter.
That's reasonable. I certainly wasn't going to buy them before I get the guitar leastways. Does anyone have any experience with Irongear pickups? I'm hearing a lot of good things about them, and they have a hot PAF type...
I have a SD Pearly Gates and AlNiCo II Pro in my Les Paul and I completely recommend those. I think they might have cost me closer to $200 new, so you might have to save a little more if you aren't going used. They seem right up your alley, although the Pearly Gates is a bit bright compared to other pups if you're worried about that.
its a same Swineshead pickup went out of business, cos they sound great in my G400. If you like Dimarzios, i say stick with them get pickups with good bass response if you are gonna play doom - but you already knew that.
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
Just a brief note: the P90s that came as standard with my new Gibson SG 60s Tribute are outstanding. Definitely give the factory pickups a listen before even considering swapping. (Appreciate you may not be buying Gibson.)
Quote by EMarkM
Just a brief note: the P90s that came as standard with my new Gibson SG 60s Tribute are outstanding. Definitely give the factory pickups a listen before even considering swapping. (Appreciate you may not be buying Gibson.)

I want one of those guitars.
Quote by WtrPlyr
I want one of those guitars.

Ah man, what can I say? It's a beautiful, beautiful thing...
If I did decide to swap, would it be really retarded to use a bridge pup in the neck position, even if I had to lower it a bit so it doesn't crush my amp?
Quote by kyle62
Wait, you don't have the guitar yet??

+1

You should be asking this question once you have tried the guitar on your rig, not before you've played the damn thing.
But... but... I has the GAS! :P

I know I know, I just feel like neither Dimarzio nor Seymour Duncan will have what I may need. (OK, fine sue me. Wait no, don't do that; I haz no monies)
Quote by Quinlan
But... but... I has the GAS! :P

I know I know, I just feel like neither Dimarzio nor Seymour Duncan will have what I may need. (OK, fine sue me. Wait no, don't do that; I haz no monies)

If you can't find a pickup that suits you between Duncans AND Dimarzios, you should probably quit guitar.

Also, I don't recommend putting a Neck pup in the Bridge or vice-versa. It's probably gonna sound terrible, considering they're voiced for their position. You can try it, but don't expect anything outstanding. Honestly, pickups don't make THAT big of a difference in your sound. They definitely make a difference, but your amp will affect your tone MUCH more. I mean, if you just pick up an MXR 10-band EQ, you could make any pickup sound like about any other pickup when it comes to the EQ of it. Obviously, output won't change as drastically, but there's still a LOT of leeway.