Facing freezing rain I just went out and got a Peavey 60/60 power amp. 4 6l6 power tubes and several 12ax7's and 12at7's, I didn't get to play it much at the guys house cause his kids were asleep (reviews and sound impressions to come) but this is what I was looking for and at $175 for a tube amp is pretty spiffy, I'll be running my crate TDP tube preamp ($50) into this and using my two 1x15's in stereo for some grinding tone.

I will hopefully be modding this to include individual channel on off and replacing some pots.
Attachments:
photo(45).JPG
Very nice. There's a 60/60 at my local music-go-round, but they want $300 for it. I figured that, even after haggling, I wouldn't be able to get it for cheap, but it if was $175 I would have jumped on it some time ago.

Enjoy that bad boy, you can have some real fun with signal routing and the two separate channels. Everyone loves a nice 100ish watt tube power section!
nice!
peavey make solid stuff
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Haven't taken it apart yet, but it's 4 6l6 tubes, 2 per channel, does that mean I can get away with buying 2 matched pairs?
nice price, but a 40-50 watt ( if your lucky ) per channel amp...ugh. nice practice amp for sure
Quote by amimbari
nice price, but a 40-50 watt ( if your lucky ) per channel amp...ugh. nice practice amp for sure

it's two 60 watt amps in stereo? Hence Peavey 60/60... Mic'ed it can be gigged, or my idea of running it from my bridge pickup when I play heavier stuff. But yes It will be one hell of a practice amp or perfect for my garage style rock I also play.

I also play guitar
Quote by amimbari

Still want to know who with any experience at all doesn't put a Microphone, or Line out to a PA when at a Gig?

I've got a 100 watt Peavey Windsor, and a 74 twin reverb, also 100 watts... I always Mic them with an isolation sheild in front of them... gives more control for the mix and doesn't destroy my ears.

Great choice for an Amp... and as has been said... Peavey makes solid stuff.. Enjoy!!!
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Quote by Papabear505
Still want to know who with any experience at all doesn't put a Microphone, or Line out to a PA when at a Gig?

I've got a 100 watt Peavey Windsor, and a 74 twin reverb, also 100 watts... I always Mic them with an isolation sheild in front of them... gives more control for the mix and doesn't destroy my ears.

Great choice for an Amp... and as has been said... Peavey makes solid stuff.. Enjoy!!!

I really wanted a Peavey Windsor but this was cheaper, and I could probably with a little time trade it if I was so inclined.

The 60/60 has 1/4" and speakon/xlr outs,need to look closer after finals, unbalanced and balanced for mixers etc as well as stanard 16-8-4 ohm speaker outs.
I used to gig with a 50 watt guitar head,sounded great but went through tubes quick.I can imagine two 60 watters mic'd through 1x15s at a gig would be great.

Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by Ian hawkins
I used to gig with a 50 watt guitar head,sounded great but went through tubes quick.I can imagine two 60 watters mic'd through 1x15s at a gig would be great.

define quick?
well,I can't really give you an exact figure,because I had no idea when the tubes that were in it were put in.After a year or so of solid gigging/rehearsing,the overdriving amp had done some damage to my cheap 4x10,and the amp itself was sounding pretty nasty,and the amp was retired from mainstream use.
So maybe not really 'quickly' as such,but it's certainly different to using it for guitar.Bass frequencies draw much more power from the amp to create,and so the tubes wear through much quicker.Not really a reason not to use guitar heads for bass,but just keep some spares handy.
I know I've seen you round the forums a bit,but if you haven't already,read the amp sections in both the guitar FAQ and the bass FAQ.
Feel free to hit me up with any questions related,I should be able to help you out a bit.

Oh I'm just little new to the power amp/rack mount situation though. This amp in particular is weird because the Peavey manual is like 4 vague pages, very odd since they usually detail every little thing and give very good schematics (this is missing one). For a big 6l6 based tube amp $175 was pretty good, but I wish it could be bridged, or channels individually turned off for just a mono. I know about dummy loads, but I want to rig up some switches at least for disabling a channel. Peavey gear even this Classic 60/60 amp are never really vintage treasures, so I assume even if I mod this I'll get $175 out of it.

Fyi my dad is an electrical engineer so I won't be trying to go blind in there and electrocuting myself to death.
^well that's good to hear!^
I find for a cheap mute switch that doubles up as something handy,you can just use a tuner pedal.Some have two outputs,one that mutes when you're tuning,and one that doesn't.Use both,and you've got a constant channel and a switch able channel.Should try some bi-amping,couple a dirt pedals on one channel,clean on the other,