I'm talking about something like this - http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11168963&010=9473903&cid=CSE:&cid=CSE:GooglePLAs&003=4239056

I bought one a while ago but have never used it that often. I'm wondering if you guys think it might actually be beneficial to developing finger strength and ability or if it was just a waste of money. Has anyone else used one of these things?
Quote by skylerjames13
This +10000

You're a decent 11'er Bryc3e

Nothing can keep you away from the need to create.. Cause your path is free! - Jari Maenpaa
Playing guitar isn't about finger strength so much as it is about finger independence and dexterity. The act of fretting simply doesn't require a finger to exert any effort beyond what's needed to ''push'' a string down onto the fretwire, so anything beyond that is just going to result in wasted energy and a hampered economy of motion.
I'd argue for the reasons (or really, the single reason) above that a Gripmaster is both a waste of your money and time, when both could be designated to more important and relevant things.

All-in-all, you'd be much better off investing time in slow, concentrated drills (a note per second or two) focusing on each finger permutation you can think of, paying careful attention to minimize excess motion, tension and extraneous/irrelevant movements (for example, that of non-fretting fingers flailing about when another is doing its job). In doing this, you can program your muscles to perform those deliberately controlled acts subconsciously, which will result in an enhanced economy of motion with less thought and effort.
Last edited by juckfush at Dec 6, 2011,
They're utterly pointless and won't help at all.

Like juckfush said, playing guitar has next to nothing to do with strength and everything to do with control, accuracy and timing. It's a musical instrument, the only way you know you're doing something correctly is if you get the right sound coming out. That's why those Shredneck things are useless too - any "practice" where you have no way of knowing if you're doing it correctly is no practice at all.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I got sucked in to this kind of thing a while ago, purely because there just wasn't enough time in the day to play guitar as much as I'd like to (work, away at weekends etc) so I tried to find alternatives. I have one of those:

It does bugger all.

I also have a powerball but that's actually useful (for non-guitar related reasons).
ESP Horizon FR II (EMG) / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 (DiMarzio Crunch Lab & LiquiFire pickups)
I figured they were no help but figured I would ask all the experts first :P.

@blackened - Me too, simply wasn't enough time between homework and work so I wasted the money too.

Thanks guys.
Quote by skylerjames13
This +10000

Nothing can keep you away from the need to create.. Cause your path is free! - Jari Maenpaa
General finger strength isn't really that important. You need to build controlled, explosive power - not grip strength or stamina.

The two best things to do are lightly tap your fingers while keeping others relaxed. This pattern covers all finger permutations, you don't need the guitar - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89ICrLfbG9I&feature=related

The OTHER thing, much more useful imho - develop your ears. You can sing, hum along to tunes, and try and picture how to play them all the time you're at work, in the car... and this is a very useful skill.
Quote by Freepower
General finger strength isn't really that important. You need to build controlled, explosive power - not grip strength or stamina.

The two best things to do are lightly tap your fingers while keeping others relaxed. This pattern covers all finger permutations, you don't need the guitar - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89ICrLfbG9I&feature=related

The OTHER thing, much more useful imho - develop your ears. You can sing, hum along to tunes, and try and picture how to play them all the time you're at work, in the car... and this is a very useful skill.

Funny that you post that, I just watched all your videos before posting that topic :P. Very good btw i'm looking forward to trying monster string skipping exercise you made.
Quote by skylerjames13
This +10000