Page 1 of 4
I'm putting this one here since it is related to gear.....

Do the people at GC treat you any better, or worse, than other music shops you frequent? Here's why I ask....

The other day I went into my local GC to make a payment and pick up an amp. I walked in, and about 4 employees all said "hello/hey/etc" Karl. I laughed and said I feel like 'Norm' on "Cheers" (yes I'm OLD ). Then one told me he had a little gift for me. They knew I had a ton of pedals and only 3 boards to put them all on. I had mentioned I had a pile of pedals on the chair in my room. Well, they had received a board as part of a pedal purchase, but the board was missing a power supply and had a few mods for the pedals that were on it. They knew they wouldn't be able to sell it, but it would be a shame to just toss it out. Well, they thought of good ol' Karl, the Boss pedal collector and figured a Boss pedalboard might be useful to me. I'm currently using it for pedal storage.

So anyone got anybody in their local store that actually looks out for them like this? I know of all the local music stores I have ever shopped at, most don't even remember my name much less what type of gear I have or anything else about me for that matter. I know there are a lot of bad stories from many GC's around the country, but I'm kinda liking the one I shop at.

So let's hear your stories.....
That's pretty cool of them.

The guys at the GC I usually go to are pretty cool and actually know what they're talking about, but no way in hell they'd give out free stuff, or take things on trade they knew they couldn't sell
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Yeah, I'm sure they're the same here as a rule, but the board had 6 pedals in it that they bought and the seller didn't want it anymore. So he told them to keep it. So it's not like they paid for it anyway. But at most shops I frequent, it would have been in the trash 5 seconds later. I'm glad I got it, holds the 6 pedals I had piled up on a chair for the past 6 months or so.
I don't trust GC to be honest. Like you pretty much HAVE to be nice at a huge retail store to keep your job.
I have actually gotten a few discounts at my local music shop.
And some of the workers remember me but they would never
give me a free pedal board or even remember my actual name.
Consider yourself lucky haha.
NEW SIGNATURE!
we have musos corner here in aus newcastle, biggest pack of dicks i have ever meti walked in and thought that all the employees were busy with customers later i realized they were to busy talking to each other, then i asked if i could try an ltd i said its a xmas pressie so ill have a butload of munneys to spend, dude didnt care just tuned the guitar a said go try it. i said id never tryed a guitar at musos before so hes says go into the amp room ill be there in a sec, 30 minutes later he hadnt came in so i grabbed an amp after some dude had finished testing it after a while walked out and said it wasnt what i was after explained what i was after, then he just stood there as i explained it looking blankly at me and said 'cool' after 2 minutes of staring asked what i thought of the guitar i said the action feels like its on the ground the dude says you can bring it up. i think he means raising the action when i tryed to explain what i meant he said youll figure it out. summing up I DO NOT RECOMMEND MUSOS CORNER TO ANYBODY. i walked down the street to allans+billy hyde and within 3 seconds a employee came up and asked if i need help and had just about sold me a shecter. i recommend them to anyone because they give a shit about the customer. sorry for the long post guys but people should know that musos sucks.
Nobody tops Austin Vintage for customer service but all of the GCs I've been to have been pretty solid. Some cool guys working there and they're always willing to give sweet discounts.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
They sold me a 6505+ that 50 kids have messed with and I brought it up and the tubes blew a week later for a hundred and fifty bucks off and with a footswitch, and now i get a new one for free. I'm satisfied. That's not including the 10% off.
Constantly up my ass but generally very polite when I tell them,"I don't need any help right now, but thanks." Always very helpful when I go in wanting to buy something and I already know exactly what I want.

Sometimes a little bit annoyed when I randomly interrupt their conversation with a guy looking for a metal-suitable amp head and tell them that,"that Line 6 isn't what you're looking for."
Quote by Sputnik1
Was there not already a thread about how stupid Guitar Center employees are? Everyone posting about their experiences there. I can't seem to find it.\

EDIT

Found it...

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1117264&highlight=guitar+center

I think this thread pretty well sums up this thread.

Except I wasn't really looking for the "bad" experiences, more the good.... you know, when they seem to go out of the way to do right by you....
I had a store in the middle of Melbourne that used to just let me take gear home to test or just stick it on account. I'd just grab shit, take it to the gig, if I liked it I kept it, if I didn't I took it back. Was pretty cool. Unfortunately they went bust thanks to the council so he rang me up and come around to my home with a selection of guitars for me to choose from at about half price. Better I should get one than the receivers, huh?
I miss that joint. They even used to drum up business for me when people wanted a tutor to teach them Cubase back when it was still an Atari only program. People would come in asking how to use it because they were a Steinberg dealer and they'd send them to me. Made decent money out of that. It was invariably people with cracked versions that didn't have a manual.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Dec 6, 2011,
Well, where I used to live GC was pretty much the only game in town. Unless you wanted to buy a no name guitar, or one of 4 models of amps they happened to carry at the crappy mom and pop store. I've had good and bad experiences. I've been in that store about a thousand times over several years, and I don't think anyone remembers me. Hell, I went in there a week after buying a $1,300 LP and the guy who sold it to me talked to me like we'd never met. And don't even get me started on how bad they rape you on gear trades.

I guess the store I normally go to is just a place I go when I need picks, strings, or just want to jam on another amp a while. No real attachment. If there were another store with the same selection I'd probably go there instead. I got MUCH better service back in the day when there were still good local music shops around. The guy in that store knew me by name, gave me bonus swag whenaver I bought anything, and was perfectly content to just let me noodle around on an amp in the corner, or talk gear all afternoon. I miss that place.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Well, I'm an older gent... kinda like dirt, the folks at GC in Chattanooga, TN aren't used to dealing with guys like me... In their defense, they have a constant stream of kids walking around putting fingers on EVERYTHING and think it's cool to say, "I played a $3,000.00 Les Paul" to their friends when they had no intention of buying one. But, I went there to compare for my self the difference between MIM and USA Strats last year and wasn't very happy with the outcome... The shop wasn't very busy at the time, but as you guys know, the really good guitars are higher on the wall (with good reason) I just about had to give the guy my credit card to pull him away from his "Maxim" magazine so he'd get down the guitar's I was looking at and help explain the differences. Once I had his attention, it was hard to get it back, so I stood at the counter for almost 10 minutes holding a $1,500.00 Strat waiting for him to finish selling a $200.00 squire to a 15 year old. I finished my comparison, a little shorter than I wanted, (Liked the MIM's bang for the buck better) and bought my Strat...... from musicians friend..

Now, not sure if the guy was a fluke or what, but I've been there a few more times since then, and there's quite a few new (older) faces there, and getting help is easier...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
I live in Australia.

*crickets*
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
One day when I walked into gc I was planning to try out the new zoom g3 and when the girl finally got it out for me, she then asked what amp I wanted to use it with. Well, I didn't need an amp because I brought headphones. Then she looked at me funny and said if I knew how to use headphones with the unit, I could. And the when I asked her where the picks were she said there were on the desk(see, this was my first trip to gc, so I didn't know what desk she ment) and after about five minutes of searching I finnally found "the desk" and I started playing after about thirty minutes. So yeah, that's my story.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Ehh, the GC here is okay. Like any music shop they almost always have some kid some where shredding the br00tz somewhere in the back. I mostly get tired of them pushing stuff on me as if I'm going to buy it. There was a couple of people that use to work there that I would actually talk to about pedalboards and junk, but now the place is full of really upity cheery people yelling at ya.

Where I use to live, Lansing MI, there is a cool shop called: Music Manor. The dudes there might seem like they hate working there, but get to know them and they are cool as titz. Give ya good deals all the time.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Eppicurt
I live in Australia.

*crickets*

I'm sure you have a "Version" of a Guitar Center down under... don't you?

(and them some BIG crickets.... )
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
We do, Billy Hydes + Allans. But that is just a big shit stain.

I work in a music store anyways so I just get discounted/free stuff from there
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Ny experience with GC is great actually.

Once i went to the one closest to niagra falls and i asked to play a ginson lp trad pro amd they just handed me one and let me be, and when i was done he gave me the contact info of his friend who works in the gibson custom shop.

Then another time in NYC i was playing a esp eclipse II though a 6505+ head and cab and they came over and are like "here try this too" and put beside me on a guitar stand a pratically brand new out of the box gibson lp silverbursy studio.

So i dont see where all the hate cames from
my GC treats me pretty well. i'm sure part of that is because i'm older and they know if i really want something i'll buy it. i stop in every week (my bank is in the same shopping center as they are. they have given me some breaks above the normal discounts. pays to be a regular. they do have competition here which helps i'm sure. the staff actually knows the product and the guy in charge of the guitar section plays in a respected local band.
I really hate Guitar Center. I've yet to meet a salesman there who has had a clue what he was doing. I went in there a few months back looking for a new guitar, and the dumbass kept trying to push this $2000 Ibanez on me even though I told him I'm only looking to spend 1k-1200. Plus, it was right handed when I told him I'm left handed. -.- There's other times where I've had something similar happen, but that was the worst. I'd rather support local music shops anyway than give my money to Guitar Center.
Quote by Sputnik1
Was there not already a thread about how stupid Guitar Center employees are? Everyone posting about their experiences there. I can't seem to find it.\

EDIT

Found it...

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1117264&highlight=guitar+center

I think this thread pretty well sums up this thread.

You know sputnik its really ridiculous the amount of threads i see you trying to kill. This is a guitar forum, you know a community to talk about guitar stuff! who cares if there's already a thread about it? i mean come on. there are actually some people who want to talk about the topic. thank you!

anyway i am actually pretty satisfied with guitar center for now! got an awesome deal on a 4x12 rectifier cab for 399, in California (i live in jersey) and they are shipping it to the guitar center closest to me for 10 bucks! and the guys who work there leave you alone, which is what i like i hate being pestered 50 times over do you need help? usually they ask once and thats it
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
Quote by travs2448
You know sputnik its really ridiculous the amount of threads i see you trying to kill. This is a guitar forum, you know a community to talk about guitar stuff! who cares if there's already a thread about it? i mean come on. there are actually some people who want to talk about the topic. thank you!

anyway i am actually pretty satisfied with guitar center for now! got an awesome deal on a 4x12 rectifier cab for 399, in California (i live in jersey) and they are shipping it to the guitar center closest to me for 10 bucks! and the guys who work there leave you alone, which is what i like i hate being pestered 50 times over do you need help? usually they ask once and thats it

that.

I had asked a guy to play one of the explorers way up top on the wall. After I asked him that he just kept sitting there talking, and talking, and talking about his gear, bugging me about my gear.

I mean it's cool for a few minutes, but not for the full 30 minutes I was there for.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Eppicurt
I live in Australia.

*crickets*

I like in South Africa

*lions*

The music stores here are rad. The staff are always friendly and always willing to negotiate prices. I went harmonica shopping the other day. I went to the first one (Marshall Music) and the gent who helped me seemed pretty jacked up on the subject. He showed me pretty much all the stock that was available, taking his time with me, asked me which ones I liked and left me with them to jam on (with the harmonica tester device thing of course).
I then went to the next one (Soundworks). It's a smaller place, but just as friendly. The gent who helped me was a bit less experienced with the subject - he didn't know how to use the harmonica tester thing (which I had to show him how to do after my experience with Marshall ). After realizing that they probably got stock from the same supplier I bought from Marshall. The dude at Marshall even gave me a small discount just for the heck of it.
But both stores are rad. I bought my PRS (the newest guitar to my collection) from Soundworks and, in essence, got like a +-R1500 discount off it.
my GC has one guy that seems to know about as much as most gear nerds.

he called me last week to say he just took in a very mint 69 fender deluxe reverb and it wasn't going to be on the "used" site, asked me if i wanted it.

the girl behind the pedal counter is nice, not pushy but makes good recs.

the rest are just clerks.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by Papabear505
Well, I'm an older gent... kinda like dirt, the folks at GC in Chattanooga, TN aren't used to dealing with guys like me... In their defense, they have a constant stream of kids walking around putting fingers on EVERYTHING and think it's cool to say, "I played a $3,000.00 Les Paul" to their friends when they had no intention of buying one. But, I went there to compare for my self the difference between MIM and USA Strats last year and wasn't very happy with the outcome... The shop wasn't very busy at the time, but as you guys know, the really good guitars are higher on the wall (with good reason) I just about had to give the guy my credit card to pull him away from his "Maxim" magazine so he'd get down the guitar's I was looking at and help explain the differences. Once I had his attention, it was hard to get it back, so I stood at the counter for almost 10 minutes holding a $1,500.00 Strat waiting for him to finish selling a $200.00 squire to a 15 year old. I finished my comparison, a little shorter than I wanted, (Liked the MIM's bang for the buck better) and bought my Strat...... from musicians friend..

Now, not sure if the guy was a fluke or what, but I've been there a few more times since then, and there's quite a few new (older) faces there, and getting help is easier...

Not to take away from your glory, but the last I knew, Guitar Center owns Musician's Friend, so they still got the money :/

Personally, I hate it when 50 people ask you 4 times each if you need anything. Every time I give the same response: "Nope. If I need something, I'll ask."

Then, I hate when they either give shitty recommendations to people, or don't know their product. I've gone in and asked something like: "hey, do you have any Les Paul-style guitars with Seymour Duncan JB's in them?" and the rep will tell me no. A few minutes later I'll ask another guy and he'll go "Yeah, we've got this, this, this, and that." If you want to make a sale, know the damn question. If you don't know it, ASK SOMEONE ELSE.

Other than that, they're always friendly when I go in, but the closest ones to me are so damn far away that I don't really frequent them, so they don't know me personally.
I've never been to GC but most music store clerks are friendly. There are a few assholes here and there. I don't think there's any general trend for the friendly-to-asshole ratios for large chain stores and small shops. It comes down to the individuals.

Although for some reason, nobody where I live has ever heard of Egnater.
I think the older you are the more people are nicer to you, im 33 and the Guitar Center in my home town are always nice and asking me how im doing etc, even ones i do not know are very helpful or attempting to be helpful even though they dont always know what they are talking about. Now when i was alot younger, employees at music stores were often snobbish etc.

I have a full beard, i look kinda rough around the edges so perhaps they are afraid that i might kill them when they get off of work so usually they are very polite!
The guys at my guitar center blow... they don't really know very much, are super cocky and try to contradict you on everything you say. ( for example I want a high out put pick up but i don't really like the tone of actives...... GC: you should try these emgs they sounds pretty good) They are always tring to push something on you. The only time there is a cool one there he ends up quiting or getting fired because he isn't selling enough.
THE GEAR The Gear
Ibanez RGA121
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Schecter V7 Black Jack
PRS SE Custom 24
Ibanez S470
Line 6 Spider Valve 2x12
Last edited by Briyan_15 at Dec 6, 2011,
i guess the UK equivalent to GC is the unfortunately titled professional music technology often abbreviated to PMT by the company themselves for some strange reason.

i don't really go in there often enough because it seems like staff are trained to act like the "related products" section on an online shop. they make recommendations for other alternatives within the same price range that are often the complete opposite of what i have specified, no matter how specific i am. i once went in there and said "i'm looking for a 15 watt tube amp for smaller gigs, i'm using a 30 watter at the moment but in smaller places i have to run it with the volume a bit too low to get the kind of power amp compression i want" and their first recommendation was a peavey classic 50 because "it's 50 watts so it can go louder".

but the truth is, these people aren't idiots, and they are trying to help, the problem is that they are just trained to act like that and don't necessarily play any musical instrument let alone understand the needs of a gigging guitarist especially when a gigging guitarist specifies a concept that they simply wouldn't understand, not being a guitarist themselves.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
The Swedish equivalent, 4Sound, is rubbish. Rude people working there, and hard to get their attention. A local shop here isn't much better. Basically, you have "to be someone" to get any help other than "those are guitars."

But then there's a relatively small chain that has the nicest staff on earth. Always greet you, have a small chat , ask if you need help. If you say no, they'll just leave you alone. Also very service-minded (if that's a word).
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Last edited by AtaBorMan at Dec 6, 2011,
My local GC has certain people that treat me VERY well (people I've done business with multiple times, etc....I have a certain sales guy and a certain manager I will always ask for), but the rest of the employees treat me as poorly as any old regular GC employee would. There are diamonds in the rough, but as a whole GC employees are lazy, incompetent, uninformed, and unhelpful. I've been to over 30 Guitar Center locations and this has always been my experience with the exception of the people I happen to know at my local store.
Custom guitars, vintage amps, boutique pedals. Blah, blah, blah.
I think it really depends on the GC. The a couple in the DFW are alright but when they change up the staff, its hard to say. The Platinum stores (ours is N. Dallas/635) usually have the best associates if you're looking for help and advice. A couple of those guys worked for different amp builders in Austin, LA, Nashville etc and they're awesome for advice. Granted... they aren't going to suggest something that GC can't at least special order.

I did find, out in Plano Tx, a place called Guitar Sanctuary. After one visit, I feel like all the staff would at least remember me being in there, what I was looking for, and possibly even my wife's name! That place was crazy cool!
Quote by Blktiger0
Not to take away from your glory, but the last I knew, Guitar Center owns Musician's Friend, so they still got the money :/

Yep.. I was aware of that... Music 123 as well... and a few others... but that salesman didn't know where I bought it.. and if there was any sort of commission, he didn't get it.

My beef isn't so much with Guitar Center, the company, but with the manager and the sales force he hires and the way he trains them. His store... lost the sale...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Quote by Papabear505
Yep.. I was aware of that... Music 123 as well... and a few others... but that salesman didn't know where I bought it.. and if there was any sort of commission, he didn't get it.

My beef isn't so much with Guitar Center, the company, but with the manager and the sales force he hires and the way he trains them. His store... lost the sale...

Quite true. I wasn't sure if you were going for "**** Guitar Center" or "**** THAT Guitar Center"

In the end, you still win and they still lose.
Quote by Blompcube
i guess the UK equivalent to GC is the unfortunately titled professional music technology often abbreviated to PMT by the company themselves for some strange reason.

i don't really go in there often enough because it seems like staff are trained to act like the "related products" section on an online shop. they make recommendations for other alternatives within the same price range that are often the complete opposite of what i have specified, no matter how specific i am. i once went in there and said "i'm looking for a 15 watt tube amp for smaller gigs, i'm using a 30 watter at the moment but in smaller places i have to run it with the volume a bit too low to get the kind of power amp compression i want" and their first recommendation was a peavey classic 50 because "it's 50 watts so it can go louder".

but the truth is, these people aren't idiots, and they are trying to help, the problem is that they are just trained to act like that and don't necessarily play any musical instrument let alone understand the needs of a gigging guitarist especially when a gigging guitarist specifies a concept that they simply wouldn't understand, not being a guitarist themselves.

The Bristol store sucks.

Its a franchise store, not an "original" set up by Terry or Simon.

You should try Southend, Birmingham or Oxford.

Southend is the best.

In Southend we arent trained to sell you whatever, we're just honest

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Depends what GC or what time. There's the slightly closer one, which I avoid except on Friday nights when I can flirt with the sales lady for a 20% discount due to a large man with nasty long hair being there, trying to push everything on everyone. The further one has a really cool manager and sales team.
Quote by Blktiger0
Quite true. I wasn't sure if you were going for "**** Guitar Center" or "**** THAT Guitar Center"

In the end, you still win and they still lose.

Yep.. and with the odd exception, Fender tells even the smaller stores what to charge... or you aren't a Fender Authorized Dealer... I try to buy used, or from small shops usually... but then selection is a problem..
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Most stores can sell for what they want, you just have to pay Fenders best "trade" price to buy the stock in.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Page 1 of 4