So yesterday I decided to replace the strings on my guitar like for like (D'Addario .10-.46). I replaced them with the same guague, same brand and everything (and did each string one by one, removing an old and replacing a new) only this time my trem just isn't playing ball and it raises way too high at the rear before I can get it in tune (it actually goes so high that the whammy bar can't move past the volume knobs).

I'm using 3 springs. I've tried them in an arrow formation and I've screwed in the hooks as far as I'm comfortable to screw them in (they don't feel like they want to go any further).

Basically, I'm going to see if I can go to my local store and buy a new spring (do they usually stock trem springs?) and failing that I'll just get a set of pansy light .9s... But I'm wondering if this is a common problem? Surely replacing a set of D'Addario .10s with another set of D'Addario .10s should get at least similar results. Previously, the springs weren't in an arrow formation and they weren't even screwed all the way in, and the bridge was flat... What gives? The only explanation I can think of is that I've been using the whammy bar a lot more and doing a lot more flutters recently which could have weakened the springs, but surely that would also have had an effect on the old set.

EDIT: Situation is different now :

So a new problem has appeared (I managed to get my .10 strings to work, just tightened the claw further as I found out there was a bit more room to do so...)

Anyway - now, whenever I use the whammy bar, the strings retune. The guitar has locking nuts at the top so it's not going to be on that end. If I push the whammy bar to make the strings sharp (which obviously you don't do much) or I do a flutter, it makes all the strings sharp. Yeah. SHARP. If I then push the whammy to flatten everything, they go back to normal. It's as if one of the springs is retaining its position somehow...

Anyone heard of this happening before? I guess my best solution here is to just go buy 3 springs and replace them all.
ESP Horizon FR II (EMG) / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 (DiMarzio Crunch Lab & LiquiFire pickups)
Last edited by llBlackenedll at Dec 9, 2011,
This is nothing to do with the springs being inconsistent but rather the fact you used a different gauge of strings that what was on the guitar.

I'd bet money on the originals being 9's not 10's as this is what ibanez uses in the factory.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Quote by halikus
This is nothing to do with the springs being inconsistent but rather the fact you used a different gauge of strings that what was on the guitar.

I'd bet money on the originals being 9's not 10's as this is what ibanez uses in the factory.

I've had the guitar a while, they weren't the stock strings. The last strings I put on were (at least packaged as) D'Addario regular light .10s.

Also, you've got to be.... so good to be... you've got to be... halikus? Wait... no sorry thought you were someone else.
ESP Horizon FR II (EMG) / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 (DiMarzio Crunch Lab & LiquiFire pickups)
Last edited by llBlackenedll at Dec 6, 2011,
My 1570 has never had a similar problem yet. I've even changed size twice now. And you did the string change correctly.... But I have a question, does your 1570 have the adjusting knob in the back, or screws that you adjust with a screwdriver?
Quote by IbanezBossShred
My 1570 has never had a similar problem yet. I've even changed size twice now. And you did the string change correctly.... But I have a question, does your 1570 have the adjusting knob in the back, or screws that you adjust with a screwdriver?

The screws you adjust with a screwdriver - it's like this (found the pic online): .

It's a 2005 one I think.. don't have the label to hand.
OK, that's new to me, my RG5 is like that, but my 1570 is like my 4570, both use a knob to adjust. Are yours straight like in that picture or as you described, in an arrow shape? I think straight is stock and should work fine, maybe even better.
Do the new strings look like the correct gauge? Just sounds weird.

Is there something blocking it from lowering? I've never had to do any massive adjustments when swapping with the same gauge, you sure you're not over-tuning it? if all the strings are sharp it should drop a bit.

I don't know man, just something sounds wrong, think they might've given you the wrong gauge, you sure bottom strings aren't heavier or something?

All I can say is check the gauge (did I say that already? Lol) get new strings, or if arrow formation of the springs won't work get new springs, if you have to put five springs on there, the strings were probably screwed up (got three strings on my trem for dropped B with 13 gauge) , but IDK, maybe you somehow abused the springs too much

Maybe some picks of the strings?
ugh, "picks of the strings"? lol

Shows how tired I am, ugh almost 7 a.m. and still haven't slept.
TS, btw, Southampton as in just southwest of London? I ported there when I was in the Navy (US) for about a week. Got a badge and coat button off a "Bobby" there .
Last edited by IbanezBossShred at Dec 6, 2011,
Quote by IbanezBossShred
TS, btw, Southampton as in just southwest of London? I ported there when I was in the Navy (US) for about a week. Got a badge and coat button off a "Bobby" there .

Yeah, though given how small England is, relatively speaking I don't think I'd ever say "just southwest" :P (though yeah it's pretty close)

I could take pics but not til later - but it would just look exactly the same as the pic I showed above. I'm definitely not going sharp at all. My thinking is that last time I must have just made a stupid mistake and picks up the wrong strings - it was a while ago that I restrung them previously. But they certainly didn't feel like .9s... oh well, phoned my local guitar store and they said they sell springs so I guess I'll just get another spring.

Cheers for your input, it's leading me to believe that this really is more likely to be user error. Unless I really have massively weakened the springs.

EDIT: OK, just looked on my Amazon history from a few months ago, and I definitely got the same: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0002F7K7Y
Last edited by llBlackenedll at Dec 6, 2011,
Yeah but it's possible they were mismarked. I don't know, it just sounds like something weird is going on, perhaps it's the springs but it shouldn't be that much, I mean you got the screws in decently far and tried a arrow shape with the springs, just something sounds odd, unless those were 4 year old strings and you abused the hell out of them and the springs, idk.
So a new problem has appeared (I managed to get my .10 strings to work, just tightened the claw further as I found out there was a bit more room to do so...)

Anyway - now, whenever I use the whammy bar, the strings retune. The guitar has locking nuts at the top so it's not going to be on that end. If I push the whammy bar to make the strings sharp (which obviously you don't do much) or I do a flutter, it makes all the strings sharp. Yeah. SHARP. If I then push the whammy to flatten everything, they go back to normal. It's as if one of the springs is retaining its position somehow...

Anyone heard of this happening before? I guess my best solution here is to just go buy 3 springs and replace them all.
That's really odd. I just rebuilt an RG470 and put a Gotoh Floyd in it. We used two of the supplied springs, which are short stiff springs, with a black box tremsetter in the middle and the exact same strings you are using. It balances fine with just two springs. The old setup was three long normal stiffness springs like you have with no issues balancing either.
Hmm, weird, my only guess is the springs,

I can't even think what it would be with the springs doing that either.
Quote by menotbug
Hmm, weird, my only guess is the springs,

I can't even think what it would be with the springs doing that either.

No well my best guess is that when I push on the whammy bar and compress the springs one of them just kinda stays like that. I did replace a random spring a couple of days ago but it only just started happening today after I was messing around with the action and intonation a bit.
So I tried stretching the springs a load (pushing the whammy bar to flatten the strings) and it now seems to be less sensitive to this weird-ass staying sharp phenomenon ; it doesn't do it so much now when I do flutters though maybe I'm just doing them less aggressively how weird does "aggressive flutter" sound?) Still doing it if I whammy sharp though but as I said that's hardly common.