Hey yall,

Id like to know if changing the stock pots on my Epi LP Custom with improve anything ? I use them very often for several songs.
I also changed the stock pups for 57 classics.

Thanks

PS: I play through a Fender Blues Jr.
Last edited by alans056 at Dec 6, 2011,
Unless you're unhappy with the taper, or the pots are getting scratchy, there's not really much point in changing them out. If you're like me and just like to tinker with things and can't leave things stock, then you could swap them out for some higher quality ones if you wanted, but it's not going to change the sound any so long as you use the same value (assuming 500k).
Right I see, but sometimes when I turn the tone knobs I hear some noise. Could this mean I need to change them?
Quote by alans056
Right I see, but sometimes when I turn the tone knobs I hear some noise. Could this mean I need to change them?

I used to have that problem. If It just needs to be cleaned you 're set... If you're like me and if somethings broke you gotta replace it... Then you're set.
Is it possible to improve the sound of the guitar by buying better pots ? "Chip46" said "but it's not going to change the sound any so long as you use the same value (assuming 500k)." .

So I can get pots with a different value ? Would that be expensive?
Different value pots are going to change the sound, but if you're using humbuckers, I'd stick with 500k pots. If you think your guitar is too bright sounding you could try 300k, which I think is the value Gibson uses a lot. 250k is generally only used in single coil guitars, 500k for humbuckers, 1M for active instruments.

But no, changing the pots won't "improve the sound". I guess that's a very subjective statement though. If you aren't happy with the sound of the guitar change the pickups, if you like the pickups but just wish they weren't so bright, maybe consider 300k pots or something (I'm pretty sure 300k is what Gibson uses a lot, but you might want to double check that fact).
I see, thanks a lot. I guess I will stick to the stock pots then. I thought maybe I could get more out of my guitar by upgrading.

Thank you for taking the time to answer!