i am looking to buy a new combo amp which is 50w or bigger, i play mostly rock (classic and modern), metal and a bit of blues. my budget is anything up to around $500. possible suggestions are:
1) Vox VT80+
2) Marshall MG50FX
3) Roland Cube 80
4) Peavey bandit 112

this gives you an idea of what im looking for, but i need opinions on which would be best.
i own a peavey rage 258 and i think it is one of the greatest amps ive ever played, but i need to upgrade.
all help is appreciated
DO NOT get a Marshall MG50FX
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
DO NOT get a Marshall MG50FX

This guy got in before me

You could get a tube amp for the amount you're wanting to spend though, unless you want one with loads of FX and stuff on
Last edited by LivinJoke84 at Dec 6, 2011,
I'd say either the Vox, Roland or Bandit. The bandit's aren't nearly as bad as people make them out to be. They seem to hold up with a decent metal and rock tone at moderate volumes.

Although with a budget of $500, if you look used you could easily find a 6505+ 112 combo, Bugera 333XL or 6262 212 combo, Peavey Vypyr 60 (not 100% sure about that one).

I'd highly suggest looking used, there are so so so many better options than the ones you have listed which literally romp all over those "toy amps".
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
ive heard that the marshall mg is not the greatest but i just wanted to check.
ive been looking at a vox ac15vr, would this amp be big enough for playing at a pub or something like that, would it be able to "cut through the mix"
Quote by epiphoneman151
ive heard that the marshall mg is not the greatest but i just wanted to check.
ive been looking at a vox ac15vr, would this amp be big enough for playing at a pub or something like that, would it be able to "cut through the mix"

Not really, it's a rather quiet 15W solid state.

You are setting your sights way too low, dude. $500 will get you all sorts - a big 100W valve head and cab, a used Mesa Boogie....
you could ALMOST get a new AC15C1 for $500... that's WAY better than the VR version. If you could add $100 to your budget, there ya go. Or if you could find one used, they're great amps. Not a great choice for metal, but depends on whether metal is your primary focus, or if it's just some occasional riffing. May be able to get away with a metal muff for that.

If you can find a vypyr 60 in your budget, grab it. It'll do just about anything you want.

If the peavey rage is the best amp you've ever played, you'd be blown away by a real AC15/30, the vypyr 311 mentioned, or pretty much any tube amp you could find used in your budget.

Not sure where you live, but if you keep an eye on CL you can usually find awesome deals on used gear.

EDIT

Found this on GC's used site. $521.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Vox-Custom-AC15C1-15W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-105806491-i1517163.gc#used
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Last edited by jpatan at Dec 7, 2011,
thanks guys for your help.
ive got a vt80+ and its got a pretty good sound except it has got a really bad hiss/snare sound which is all over VOX forums and if i cant fix it ill probably get a vypyr or an AC15
For the price, you could easily pick up a Vypyr tube 60 or a Valveking half stack and would be much better off than any of the choices you listed for classic and modern rock.
Quote by epiphoneman151

i own a peavey rage 258 and i think it is one of the greatest amps ive ever played

LOL! What amps have you played?

Please just go to your nearest guitar store and try some amps. If you do take some recommendations from here please go and try them out for yourself; no one can tell you what you like. And in all honesty please while you are at a shop plug into some tube amps and then tell me that the Peavey is one of the greatest you've played. While Rage's are decent in comparison to other amps in the beginner/entry level i.e. MG's, they are not great amps.
Last edited by Sputnik1 at Dec 11, 2011,
i think the peavey rage is great because its simple, cheap, small, tough and sounds good, and thats what i look for in an amp, i dont care about inbuilt effects very much, because i have pedals for that. ive tried many amps in stores but trying an amp in a store is different to owning one, if you own the amp you play it all the time and you might start to find things you dont like about it, or something might go wrong, you cant test this in a store. this is why the peavey is so good because i have owned it for at least 4 years and i have never had any problem what so ever with it, nor can i think of any problem with it.

because of where i live there arent many music shops around which dont charge heaps, there are some but they are around 30-45 minutes drive. this is why i ask here, because i dont want to have to drive this far every time i want to what an amp is like. so sputnik1 please cut me some slack, and if i like the peavey that is my opinion.
Quote by epiphoneman151
i think the peavey rage is great because its simple, cheap, small, tough and sounds good, and thats what i look for in an amp, i dont care about inbuilt effects very much, because i have pedals for that. ive tried many amps in stores but trying an amp in a store is different to owning one, if you own the amp you play it all the time and you might start to find things you dont like about it, or something might go wrong, you cant test this in a store. this is why the peavey is so good because i have owned it for at least 4 years and i have never had any problem what so ever with it, nor can i think of any problem with it.

because of where i live there arent many music shops around which dont charge heaps, there are some but they are around 30-45 minutes drive. this is why i ask here, because i dont want to have to drive this far every time i want to what an amp is like. so sputnik1 please cut me some slack, and if i like the peavey that is my opinion.

Lordy, I am just trying to help. You don't have to spend months in order to figure out an amp. After only playing on my Rage years ago, I went in to a Sam Ash and plugged into a Fender Blues Jr and immediately knew that the cleans were infinitely better and that it was a better amp. I also saw what would become my XXX and knew immediately the gain channels on it were infinitely better than the gain on the Rage. I only wanted to know what you had played before to get an idea of your experience with amps. You need to cut some slack.

30-45 mins is the exact same amount of time it takes me to get to the nearest GC and SA. What stores are we talking about in your area?
Not the MG or the Bandit. I wouldn't let either through the door.

Listen to 311 - Vyper 60.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Of those listed the VT80+ is the only one worth considering.

The Vypyr 60 that's being pimped is far more solid state sounding than the Vox

A 6505 is a horrible amp for your style it's got way to much gain.

It's a one trick pony it does that one trick really well it's a metal amp no ifs ands or buts.

EDIT:

With that said is $500 your total budget?

You're going to need some effects unless you already have them?

You'll need a wah and overdrive at the very least and a delay or chorus wouldn't be out of the question for a later purchase.

Even with the Vox you'll need a wah but the other built in effects are more than usable...
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Last edited by Willowthewitch at Dec 11, 2011,
Quote by Willowthewitch
Of those listed the VT80+ is the only one worth considering.

The Vypyr 60 that's being pimped is far more solid state sounding than the Vox

You really should share your drugs with everybody if you're going to flaunt them like that.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
You really should share your drugs with everybody if you're going to flaunt them like that.

Also in order to play guitar you must play with a wah.

Quote by Willowthewitch
You'll need a wah and overdrive at the very least and a delay or chorus wouldn't be out of the question for a later purchase.

Even with the Vox you'll need a wah but the other built in effects are more than usable...
Last edited by Sputnik1 at Dec 11, 2011,
I have a wah pedal. It sits under a shelf next to my rig collecting dust. I haven't used it in like... 2 years. I have no plans on that changing. You don't NEED wah. You don't NEED any effects. I mean, I don't recall TS stating that he was in U2, so saying a bunch of effects are necessary is a bit of a stretch.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
listen to these guys, they know whats they are talking about. once you find "the" amp. you will laugh at your peavy rage. your serious about guitar playing right?

you don't see slash/hetfield/Clapton with a 10-15 watt solid state practice amp, their awesome tone comes from good amps.

sputnik and cathbard really know what they are talking about here, don't be a douche.