I want to play my acoustic guitar with my friends acoustic guitar effect board. The problem is that it does not have a built-in mic so I have to find some way to capture the sound to the preamp as it is. I really like the sound of my steel string and do not want the preamp or mic to color it too much. My old acoustic mic made the guitar sounded like an electric guitar which I did not like.

So what are my options? Is there any mic or pickup for acoustic guitar out there that does the job? I would prefer a portable option as in not to have to do a permanent mod like saw out a chunk on the side for the preamp. Switching strap button is fine.

Oh and my budget is up to $100
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

For 100 you're not going to get a pickup that doesn't color the tone somewhat. Even my 300 dollar pickup has some coloration on the sound. If you want it to be completely removable you can look at Dean Markley or Fishman, they have a couple of pickups for less than 100 dollars which slide into the soundhole and have a cable hanging out which you can connect to an extension cable.

Or if you want to do a slight installation you can look at getting simply a soundhole mounted pickup which at worse would have you drilling two small holes in the top. A lot of them don't even require that anymore though. If you're going to be running through an electric guitar amp, a soundhole mounted humbucker might be your best bet.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
I don't really mind if the sound is colored only a bit, as long as it still has some characters of the guitar to my ear through the preamp.

I just found this mic from K&K Sound. Looks quite nice.
http://www.kksound.com/puremini.html
The sample on Youtube do not sound bad at all. Anyone have used these before?
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Last edited by hminh87 at Dec 6, 2011,