OK so I've pretty much got my heart set on a Vypyr, it's pretty ideal for what I want to do and I got some awesome tones out of the one I tried. Just wondering, is it worth the extra £80 for the 100w 2x12 version over the 75w 1x12? I will be occasionally using it for small-medium sized gigs and just don't know if the bigger one is worth it.

Thanks.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Fender Princeton 650 DSP w/ Celestion 80w speaker
Probably not, nobody really needs 100 watts
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Get the Vypyr Tube 60 instead.

But if you're only looking at the 75 and 100, then don't bother with the 100. A 212 is much heavier than a 112 and much more annoying to transport.

Quote by Paddy McK
Probably not, nobody really needs 100 watts

You do if you want clean cleans at high volumes, or if you want tight bass with high gain, or if you actually play in a band and hope to get over the drums and cut through well with room to spare. That said there's not much difference between 75 and 100 watts.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Dec 6, 2011,
Can't really afford the Tube 60, so only looking at the 75 or 100. I'll upgrade to the tube one next year hopefully. Cheers guys.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Quote by Raijouta
Get the Vypyr Tube 60 instead.

But if you're only looking at the 75 and 100, then don't bother with the 100. A 212 is much heavier than a 112 and much more annoying to transport.

You do if you want clean cleans at high volumes, or if you want tight bass with high gain, or if you actually play in a band and hope to get over the drums and cut through well with room to spare. That said there's not much difference between 75 and 100 watts.

Yeah, I didn't really word that very well
TS: Maybe consider getting lower wattage valve? Valve amps are considerably louder than solid state, even if the wattage is the same
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Quote by Paddy McK
Yeah, I didn't really word that very well
TS: Maybe consider getting lower wattage valve? Valve amps are considerably louder than solid state, even if the wattage is the same

Had one before, didn't like it much- need a high gain amp and the Vypyr has pretty much the exact tone that I want
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Fair play man, go for it They get a bad rap but if you invest a bit of time into them you can get some decent tones
My Soundcloud
Used 60 instead of new 75.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I have the 75, and I find it fine playing at small gigs etc, definitely loud enough.

Save the extra 80 quid for a Sanpera 1 or Sanpera 2 pedal.
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
Out of those 2, I'd get the Vypyr 100 for the extra headroom and bass response. Normally 2x12 combos are a pain in the ass to carry, but the Vypyr is practically made of cardboard, so weight really shouldn't be an issue.

If you can, get the Vypyr Tube 60 instead. That will be louder than both the digital 75 and 100 watt combos and will sound 10x better.
Thanks for all the replies guys. Unfortunately Tube 60s seem to sell for over £300 even used whilst the 75 is available at the moment for £169 so I've ended up buying that (being a poor student) and am hoping to upgrade to the tube version eventually.

Yeah, I remembered the Sanpera
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Quote by Ian_the_fox
but the Vypyr is practically made of cardboard

Dude, you're killing me. The Vypyrs construction is the same as the Valveking or 6505+112. They are pretty sturdy. You are giving bad advice again. Stop.
Quote by Ian_the_fox

If you can, get the Vypyr Tube 60 instead. That will be louder than both the digital 75 and 100 watt combos and will sound 10x better.

I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say 'digital 75 and 100'

I do agree that the 60 would be the best option. I got mine for $315 used at GC.

TS - I think Peavey is giving away a free Sanpera I pedal on new purchases right now.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Out of those 2, I'd get the Vypyr 100 for the extra headroom and bass response. Normally 2x12 combos are a pain in the ass to carry, but the Vypyr is practically made of cardboard, so weight really shouldn't be an issue.

My KB4 is constructed the same way as a Vypyr.
it has a single 15'' speaker, and a three inch tweeter.

It weighs 81 pounds.
Go figure.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Dude, you're killing me. The Vypyrs construction is the same as the Valveking or 6505+112. They are pretty sturdy. You are giving bad advice again. Stop.
Not sure about your Tube 60 but I own the 15w Vypyr in my family's vacation place, and if you are saying that thing is sturdy than you are practically saying that Bugeras are made of military-grade steel. I'm afraid to put items on top of it when it's stored in a closet because it feels like it's going to collapse from just the slightest bit of pressure. It is also ridiculously lightweight, too. I can lift it above my head with one arm with no issues.

I wouldn't say this shit without experience with the product. I have enough experience with my Vypyr to say it is not sturdy. And it feels like cardboard.
^Well 311 has a Splawn to compare his Vypyr with

And Ive played a Vypyr 15, and a 75. its made of normal wood unless youre iron man, I dont think keeping clothes on top will make it collapse.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Dec 6, 2011,
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Not sure about your Tube 60 but I own the 15w Vypyr in my family's vacation place, and if you are saying that thing is sturdy than you are practically saying that Bugeras are made of military-grade steel. I'm afraid to put items on top of it when it's stored in a closet because it feels like it's going to collapse from just the slightest bit of pressure. It is also ridiculously lightweight, too. I can lift it above my head with one arm with no issues.

I wouldn't say this shit without experience with the product. I have enough experience with my Vypyr to say it is not sturdy. And it feels like cardboard.

Well.

First, we are talking about the 60, the 75 and the 100 here.

They do not feel like cardboard to me.

I've never owned a 15 but I've played it several times and as far as I could tell the wood, materials, etc were the same.

Yes, the 15 is not very heavy. I'm glad you can lift it over your head.

My 60 weighs about the same as my old Valveking (45lbs?) but of course.....my 60 has transformers

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Well.

First, we are talking about the 60, the 75 and the 100 here.

They do not feel like cardboard to me.

I've never owned a 15 but I've played it several times and as far as I could tell the wood, materials, etc were the same.

Yes, the 15 is not very heavy. I'm glad you can lift it over your head.

My 60 weighs about the same as my old Valveking (45lbs?) but of course.....my 60 has transformers

My KB4 is overweight

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
TS - I think Peavey is giving away a free Sanpera I pedal on new purchases right now.

Not in the UK as far as I can work out
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75