Hey guys, i recently sold my 6505 after trying out a Engl Ritche Blackmore sig amp at a friends house. Sadly there isn't much variety in australia, and most of the people with higher end gear are pricky asshats. Ive been looking at the Engl Powerball 2 and the Engl Fireball 100w, I heard some clips and so far im extremely impressed and tonally it has all the characteristics i contemplate of in my head.

I can't physically try out either of the amps, but if someone could give a small review of each amp and say the key essentials of each and what greatly differed between would put me down the right road. So far i am aware that the Powerball 2 has a lot more versatility and dynamically its a little more open, though the fireball is mid-scoped ? (a few people have told me that and im just going by the assumption for now.). Personally i play a lot of metal/shred/djent (All shall perish/The absence/Born of osiris/malmsteem/vildhjarta/the faceless.). Im going to be running it through a Mesa rectifier cab 2x12 with stock v30's, my main guitar is a ibanez RGD7320z with a Crunchlab/liquifire set. Hopefully this is enough information, Thanks!
If you have the funds to buy the PB2, go for it. It's the better amp all round. I've never been too impressed with the fireball tbh. Good amp, but it lacks something. It couldn't create that 'wow' effect on me.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Im not too aware of thhe sonic difference between the 2 but id deff choose the powerball II. It sounds great and seems more versatile than the fireball which from my understanding is a german voiced 6505 with good cleans
Powerball has more win, though really both are epic amps of doom
Caparison Angelus HGS, EMG 85/85 18V | Krank Rev1, JJ's | Mesa Recto Cab | Maxon OD808
the powerball always appeared to me as sterile and industerial sounding. It is a very tight and dry amp but some people swear by it. The fireball 100 is completly different from the previous 60 watt version. the FB 100 is allot warmer sounding and has a massive amount of bottom to the sound. The high notes are more smooth sounding than the Powerball's. I also love the midboost button on the FB 100.

However the powerball offers way more tone shaping options. I didn't bought the powerball because of the sterile sound and i didn't bought the FB 100 because it was sometimes to muddy in the bass department and the lack of options despite i really liked the smooth warm tone. I choose to save up more cash and then i tried the Savage 120 and for me it is perfect the perfect blend of tone i was looking for.

ow, the FB100 doesn't sound like a 6505 at all. At the frankfurt music messe i saw Jeff Loomis performing with the FB 100 the tone he got out of it made me drool.
Gear:
Gibson Explorer
Engl Savage 120
Last edited by dnamra13 at Dec 6, 2011,
Hey guys, thanks for all the information, i have taken it all into consideration. Im going to melbourne on holiday for a week and a few of my friends have both the Engl 60 and 100w fireball and Powerball v1 and powerball v2, so ill get a chance to really dig into them. Thanks for all your input guys !
From a recording engineer's standpoint:

Fireball 60: Go-to amp for any form of raw, visceral tone.
Fireball 100: Scoop city. A lot more 'refined' than the 60, for better or worse. Works well in some places, doesn't work at all in most.
Powerball I: Awful. Tries to do everything, doesn't do any of it well.
Powerball II: Honk city. Low mids are hugely improved on the first version, but there's still much better for the money.
i would love to try the powerball two. i like the sound of Engls, but for me, they just have too much stuff that i really dont need, and in one way or another justify paying for.

power tube monitoring??? its not that hard to tell if you have one go out on you.

MIDI compatible, cool, but i don't need it, can see some people loving it though..

noise gate? if needed, cant imagine it being better than an ISP.

four channels would be nice, but not all that necessary for me.

that's just me though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by dnamra13
the powerball always appeared to me as sterile and industerial sounding. It is a very tight and dry amp but some people swear by it. The fireball 100 is completly different from the previous 60 watt version. the FB 100 is allot warmer sounding and has a massive amount of bottom to the sound. The high notes are more smooth sounding than the Powerball's. I also love the midboost button on the FB 100.

However the powerball offers way more tone shaping options. I didn't bought the powerball because of the sterile sound and i didn't bought the FB 100 because it was sometimes to muddy in the bass department and the lack of options despite i really liked the smooth warm tone. I choose to save up more cash and then i tried the Savage 120 and for me it is perfect the perfect blend of tone i was looking for.

ow, the FB100 doesn't sound like a 6505 at all. At the frankfurt music messe i saw Jeff Loomis performing with the FB 100 the tone he got out of it made me drool.

Quote by Kikuta
From a recording engineer's standpoint:

Fireball 60: Go-to amp for any form of raw, visceral tone.
Fireball 100: Scoop city. A lot more 'refined' than the 60, for better or worse. Works well in some places, doesn't work at all in most.
Powerball I: Awful. Tries to do everything, doesn't do any of it well.
Powerball II: Honk city. Low mids are hugely improved on the first version, but there's still much better for the money.

Thanks guys, this is what i was looking for. Does anyone have a Axe fx ultra they could compare the Engl Powerball +Engl Fireball to ?
Quote by LP_CL
If you have the funds to buy the PB2, go for it. It's the better amp all round. I've never been too impressed with the fireball tbh. Good amp, but it lacks something. It couldn't create that 'wow' effect on me.

This 100000 times!!!
Quote by RetroGunslinger
using nines for drop C# is like stringing the guitar with spaghetti

My Colourful Rig:
ESP M-ii Deluxe
ENGL E570
Mesa/Boogie Simul 295 Stereo
Framus FR212 v30
Quote by Axle1
Thanks guys, this is what i was looking for. Does anyone have a Axe fx ultra they could compare the Engl Powerball +Engl Fireball to ?

Having read your post a little more, I'm thinking the Powerball II would be more suited to the technical death / djenty sound out of what's been recommended before.

The AxeFX is a touchy subject. To keep it simple, I would happily use an AxeFX with a good tube poweramp on stage (VHT/Mesa etc), though I would never use one on a record as the primary source of tone. That said, it's still too digital to me to want to pass up a good, proper tube amp to want to use one. For $2000, I'd rather buy a Laboga.
Quote by blackie13
none of 'em...
The fireball is extremely compressed and seems unable to cut...
Powerball is nice but also very processed and thin sounding...

Get the super-amazing ENGL BLACKMORE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6m7Cfm4pS0

You actually like that tone?

Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
I tried the PB2 in a shop near me for about an hour. It blew me away. Sounded insane. Best amp I've ever played, no doubt. The crunch on that thing was amazing. Had loads of gain, not my thing, but it was there. The cleans were pretty good too. But, I didn't get it as it was massively out my price range.
Quote by blackie13
none of 'em...
The fireball is extremely compressed and seems unable to cut...
Powerball is nice but also very processed and thin sounding...

Get the super-amazing ENGL BLACKMORE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6m7Cfm4pS0

Wow, that blackmore sound horrible , the guy really needs to sit and tweak the amp alot more.

Quote by Kikuta
Having read your post a little more, I'm thinking the Powerball II would be more suited to the technical death / djenty sound out of what's been recommended before.

The AxeFX is a touchy subject. To keep it simple, I would happily use an AxeFX with a good tube poweramp on stage (VHT/Mesa etc), though I would never use one on a record as the primary source of tone. That said, it's still too digital to me to want to pass up a good, proper tube amp to want to use one. For $2000, I'd rather buy a Laboga.

I just listened to some Laboga clips, Dayum, not bad at all