Hey all
So I just got my new Engl Screamer combo amp and Ive some questions about it.
1. Ive heard that you need to crank tube amps pretty high to get the full sound. Now I can barely turn the volume one third of the way up on this one without my ears hurting. Do you think its sounding its best at this volume level or will I need to turn it up further ? and if so, how do I do that without making myself deaf ?
2. Its very buzzy on the High Gain Lead channel, and a bit of the Low Gain Lead channel. Is this normal or is something wrong/can some thing be done to stop it ?

Hope you can help me with this and thank you in advance.
Ibanez RG1570Z w/ BKP Holy Divers
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 /w Guitar Rig 5
Stupid clumsy fingers
Read the manual. It is on the engl website of you havent got it. It gives you some basic volume points for the sweet spot. Just play it where you like the sound and are comfortable.

Not sure what you mean by buzzy but i find that you neeed to keep the treble and lead presence very low because the amp is really bright. I would set either to above 10 oclock.
Last edited by joe_k at Dec 6, 2011,
engls sound pretty good at lower volumes. it's also a more modern, high gain amp, so there's less need to really crank it.

that's not to say it might not sound better cranked up more, but if you're at a third of teh way up, it should already be sounding pretty good.

don't make yourself deaf. maybe try some earplugs.

when you say buzz, do you mean high gain noise? some noise is pretty much unavoidable with higher gain tones. you could try a noisegate/suppressor (e.g. isp decimator). you could also try an od with teh amp and turn teh amp's gain down a bit. that might help, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah its probably high gain noise since its mostly on the high gain lead channel.

I will try fiddling around with the EQ, only had it for a day so havent really fine tuned anything
Ibanez RG1570Z w/ BKP Holy Divers
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 /w Guitar Rig 5
Stupid clumsy fingers
ah ok

any more questions when you have given it a better run-through, just ask
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Owned a Screamer 5 combo for about 3 years before selling mine or a 5150 head. The thing does tight metal pretty well imo, I just loved the trademark 5150 tone so thats why I sold it.

It is called the SCREAMER for a reason, which is definitely its brightness in terms of tonal character. For my modern metal tones, both the treble and lead presence were at maximum 10:30 o'clock. Otherwise it would sound too buzzy, and I don't like buzz at all.

I actually used an attenuator with it to get the power stage to a little bit of saturation, and it was much more nicer in comparison to lower volumes.

The sweetest spot I had was, Master Volume around 2:30 or 3 o'clock, and lead volume around 1-2 o'clock. This allowed me to use less preamp gain too, which also resulted in less fizz, and a more organic, dynamic, picking sensitive high gain overdrive. I also used a tubescreamer to tighten it up a little bit, and give the harmonics an extra push, which is imo crucial for this amp if you want to play modern, crunching, tight as a nun's ass metal.
*chugga chugga chuggity chug chug chug*