Hey guys, looking at buying a new bass. I do have a Schecter Stilleto Deluxe 5 but want something with jumbo frets and a bit smoother to play. Currently looking at the ESP Surveyor-5 which is a 5 string bass also but jumbo frets. Good bass? Any other recommendations for around the same price(circa $1,500US)? I mainly play metal(Metallica, Megadeth etc) but am just after a nice smooth bass. Thanks in advance!
Gear:

ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT 7
ESP Horizon FR II
You've got a lot of options in that price range. So I'm going to be the guy who says just get out there and play everything you can get your hands on.
ESP basses have never really done it for me personally, they've always seemed like "that guitar company that makes basses just because". The pickup arrangement on the Surveyor will get you spades of versatility if you don't find the EMG pickups a tad sterile. Why are you so set on jumbo frets? Also, what's your amp situation?
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
You've got a lot of options in that price range. So I'm going to be the guy who says just get out there and play everything you can get your hands on.
ESP basses have never really done it for me personally, they've always seemed like "that guitar company that makes basses just because". The pickup arrangement on the Surveyor will get you spades of versatility if you don't find the EMG pickups a tad sterile. Why are you so set on jumbo frets? Also, what's your amp situation?

Amp situation is basically an Ashdown Perfect 10 30W amp I bought for practice. Reason for jumbo frets is that the Schechet I have seems harder to play(I have to really press down especially in the middle of the neck or on the higher frets), so I assumed jumbos would eliminate or minimize that.
Gear:

ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT 7
ESP Horizon FR II
Since you like Megadeth, why not a Jackson Concert bass? Ellefson uses one.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Since you like Megadeth, why not Ellefson's signature Peavey?
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
Quote by Megadeth09
Reason for jumbo frets is that the Schechet I have seems harder to play(I have to really press down especially in the middle of the neck or on the higher frets), so I assumed jumbos would eliminate or minimize that.

That sounds like you just need to have your bass set up properly (could be a fretting technique problem, but its most likely the set up). Fret size is all up to personal preference, but the majority of playability issues on the neck can be solved by a good set up.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Rawshik
Since you like Megadeth, why not Ellefson's signature Peavey?

The Peavey Ellefson Zodiac DE is long discontinued. And I don't know that Ellefson ever thought much of it. It seemed to be an inexpensive knockoff of his Fender American Deluxe Precision basses. He is effusive in his praise for the Jackson Concert bass, so it would be worth a try if the TS is indeed a Megadeth fan.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
The Peavey Ellefson Zodiac DE is long discontinued. And I don't know that Ellefson ever thought much of it. It seemed to be an inexpensive knockoff of his Fender American Deluxe Precision basses. He is effusive in his praise for the Jackson Concert bass, so it would be worth a try if the TS is indeed a Megadeth fan.

I try steer clear of signature gear. While I do like Megadeth, I don't necessarily want to emulate their exact sound.

It could be a set up issue with my Schecher. Will look into lowering the bridge a tad first then. Is my Stilleto 5 Deluxe considered a good bass?
Gear:

ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT 7
ESP Horizon FR II
I'd consider an amp before a new bass for sure. There is no reason to buy a $1,500 bass to play though a 30 watt practice amp. If you already have a bass more reason not to get another right now.

While I think an amp is your biggest need, I suggest like E when going for basses try them all out, as any bass can play any style. The bassist for the sword uses an old 50's single coil P bass and they can be pretty heavy. I guess I am saying is I am not a fan of ESP, but even if I was I'd try the whole market.

Amp first though..
I was half joking when I mentioned the the signature bass. Although, a friend of mine has one and I personally like it way more than any Fender I've played. *shrug*
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
Definetly look at a better amp IMO. You can spend less than 1500 and have a great amp, and save a little to get a better bass for later.

BTW, you aren't gigginr are? are you in a band situation? cause if you were you should already realized that your amp won't cut through the mix... if you're not in a band, please, consider that you might be in the future and a good head will be much necessary than an excellent bass. also, your actual bass doesn't lack any feature (it has the number of strings you want, for example) so, there's almost no point in getting are really good bass with the crapiest amp.

the only reason to buy a better bass right now is that you want to hold quality in your hands while playing things that you like, without looking forward to be in a band. Still, I really suggest a nice new powerful amp.

and as far as your bass, i think it's a good bass. not of my particular taste, but it isn't bad or overpriced, i think.
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Quote by Sudaka
Definetly look at a better amp IMO. You can spend less than 1500 and have a great amp, and save a little to get a better bass for later.

BTW, you aren't gigginr are? are you in a band situation? cause if you were you should already realized that your amp won't cut through the mix... if you're not in a band, please, consider that you might be in the future and a good head will be much necessary than an excellent bass. also, your actual bass doesn't lack any feature (it has the number of strings you want, for example) so, there's almost no point in getting are really good bass with the crapiest amp.

the only reason to buy a better bass right now is that you want to hold quality in your hands while playing things that you like, without looking forward to be in a band. Still, I really suggest a nice new powerful amp.

and as far as your bass, i think it's a good bass. not of my particular taste, but it isn't bad or overpriced, i think.

Not gigging as yet, I'm primarily a guitarist but want to record soon. I'm guessing tube based amplifiers are the way to go for a bass just like they are for guitar?
Gear:

ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT 7
ESP Horizon FR II
Quote by Megadeth09
I'm guessing tube based amplifiers are the way to go for a bass just like they are for guitar?

Not really. Most tube bass amps are very expensive, very heavy, or both. Most bass amps you'll come across are going to be solid state, or hybrid with just a preamp tube. Its not a bad thing though, we bassists don't condemn SS amps the way guitarists do, and as a result, we have excellent SS amps available at all price points.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos
Not really. Most tube bass amps are very expensive, very heavy, or both. Most bass amps you'll come across are going to be solid state, or hybrid with just a preamp tube. Its not a bad thing though, we bassists don't condemn SS amps the way guitarists do, and as a result, we have excellent SS amps available at all price points.

Lol nice to know. My bank account has been raped in the last 9 months...
Gear:

ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT 7
ESP Horizon FR II
actually the easiest way to get a tube amp is buy a guitar amp (head) and work it into a bass amp with lower gain tubes preamp cap changes etc.

Just as a fyi, not a recommendation.
Quote by Megadeth09
I try steer clear of signature gear. While I do like Megadeth, I don't necessarily want to emulate their exact sound.

It could be a set up issue with my Schecher. Will look into lowering the bridge a tad first then. Is my Stilleto 5 Deluxe considered a good bass?

Buying the same bass wouldn't necessarily mean the same sound, we all have different DNA right? different skin different technique different amps. Just because one guy uses it don't mean you will sound the same.
Currently tormenting: FleaBass Street bass, Dean Edge 10A PJ, Wesley Acrylic 5, Fender Strat, Ibanez GRG250, H&S 6.
AMPS: Kustom Defender, Laney 300

Officer: How high are you?
My buddy: No officer, it's 'Hi how are you?'
Quote by infectednations
Buying the same bass wouldn't necessarily mean the same sound, we all have different DNA right? different skin different technique different amps. Just because one guy uses it don't mean you will sound the same.

It's not mainly because I don't want to emulate the same sound, but I find signature gear to be overpriced compared to their non-signature counterparts. I find you get more 'guitar' for your dollar by going non-signature.
Gear:

ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT 7
ESP Horizon FR II