Well, I don't know exactly the best way to explain this. What is going on is, I have a Peavey Transtube Supreme 100w head with it's matching 4x12 cab. It's clean channel is just perfect to me. Its gain channel on the other hand...confuses me. It has a high gain setting to it. To get to that, you have to turn the gain all the way up, press the extra "gain" button, then the "Thrash" button. The thrash button just seems to add compression to give it more of a scooped feel I think. Thats what it seems to me at least. When I'm playing it at a louder volume, and playing rhythm things It sounds good, could be better with just a little bit more gain, just a tad. When I play anything in the higher register, thats when it does some funky shit. I'm not even sure if I can explain it. It almost sounds, as if the signal is unclear? It has a gross, warbly sound? I thought maybe if I just got some Distortion Pedals and ran it through the clean channel (which sounds great) that I could get a great distortion sound. Well most pedals out there sounded like pedals, you know what I mean? so I tried the Fullbore Metal Pedal. and It had the same issue. Yes it had more gain and had a better rhythm tone by far, but the lead tone, still had that weird shit in it. Then I got a Vox Satchurator thinking maybe it was the pedal. Well even the Satchurator is doing it. It can't be the pedals? every pedal I've popped in front of it has done this. Luckily I have a Line 6 spider III 15w to practice with, that sounds perfect for practice for me IMO. But I never wanna try playing with people because that amp can't get loud without blowing a speaker, and the Peavey....not gonna use that. I need some thoughts. what could be wrong? To add, I took my guitar, and my cables to Guitar Center and tried it on that Blackstar HT-5 mini stack thing and other amps in there and I'm getting the same mess. What do you think it could be?
What guitar do you have? It sounds like your guitar is the problem if its happening with other amps.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
You know how they say "tone is in the fingers", right? It's apparently your fingers that is causing the problem, not the gear. Sadly there is nothing you can do about it. You will always sound this way no matter what you play.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You know how they say "tone is in the fingers", right? It's apparently your fingers that is causing the problem, not the gear. Sadly there is nothing you can do about it. You will always sound this way no matter what you play.

Dude. Seriously?

TS - the Transtube amps are kinda of so-so. They get mixed reviews. The one thing I keep hearing over and over again is that the cleans are really nice but the distortions leaves a bit to be desired. Also, with these amps 'I think' the more you crank it up the worse it sounds. Therefore, I don't think it is your fingers. I think it is the amp.

Look into the Vypyr series if you get a chance. I'm very happy with my Vypyr 60 and it sounds pretty good cranked up and quiet.
Quote by Ian_the_fox

Even if it were just his fingers, a few days of careful practice could fix that. Not sure if you're trolling or not, but that wasn't helpful.
Quote by TextOnTheScreen
Not sure if you're trolling or not, but that wasn't helpful.
I was. Just felt like being an ass for a minute.

Serious answer: That EC-1000 of yours has active pickups, right? Try changing the batteries in them to see if it makes a difference in sound. If not, try a different guitar into the setup to see if it still does the same thing.

Peavey Transtubes are actually pretty decent for SS heads. They're probably one of the most tube-sounding distorted SS amps out there (digital modelers don't count). Also since you got the same sound with the Blackstar than it can't be your amp that's doing it.

It would be best to post a clip where this tone is present so we know what you're talking about.
If you just read peoples threads do be a troll, if you were, then don't bother. Just askin for help, don't have to be that guy. It would be nice. It's weird. I've tried a friends guitar of the same make too and I had the same issue. I use an LTD EC-1000 VB and It's about 2 some odd years old at this point. Some of the hardware is really tarnished. I'm not sure if maybe the wiring could be an issue. It sounds great on my Line 6 as I've explained earlier. Maybe the cable? but then again I barrowed my friends Cable and I got the same issue. Im not sure what else to check.
I'll post a sound clip tonight when I get home so you guys can figure out what I'm talking about
try a eq pedal in the effects loop i got a old peavey special 112 its helps alot with a eq in there
Quote by SarwTheGreat
It sounds great on my Line 6 as I've explained earlier. Maybe the cable? but then again I barrowed my friends Cable and I got the same issue. Im not sure what else to check.
The Spider is a cheap digital practice amp. It isn't going to tell the difference between pickups, cables, etc. The Peavey on the other hand is an analog SS.

Try changing the battery in the pickups, if it still doesn't change try a different guitar, cable, etc.
yeah good point, I'm sure the digital amp wouldn't really show me much of the actuall tone. That makes sense. I did change batteries, and no difference really. I think I'm going to have a friend lend me his Gibson Explorer (with the stock pickups that gibson has in it still) and his cable and I'll see.
Well, It may not be that the volume is too loud because I don't have it that loud at all. I found another guy that may have this same problem. He explained it as such:

"The amp is in very good condition with very limited playing time. I used this amp a few times during practice and such, then it basically sat in the room for a week or 2. Now the amp has a really ugly distortion, almost like static, and it seems as if the volume knobs and everything else really has no control anymore. Everything works on the amp, even the effects knobs when i switch works. Just the amp has totally lost its output power or something. I do know this amp has at least 2 Fuses inside, but being that it is a TRANSTUBE it doesnt actually run off of a tube, trust me i would have tried to replace it. I'm not sure what the problem could be, but if anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated!" from http://music-electronics-forum.com/t16229/

I've done more research on these transtube amps, and some people like it a lot. And i've heard sound demos on YouTube and it sounds great for them. Though, some people are having a lot of issues with them like me. They get the really nasty distortion. When I got this, I don't remember it sounding like this at all. I'm still wondering if the amp could be the issue. I know It's not my hands.

one guy said that he cleaned the pots and stuff in the head. Would that do anything?
I'm not sure cleaning the pots will do anything other than eliminate scratchy pots. You ought to open it up and check the caps and see if any of them are puking yellow ooze, it's a random guess, but could be the problem, old caps, or blown caps, like filter caps.

Other than that idk what to tell you...and be careful poking around inside of that amp, idk what kind of voltages it holds being a transtube type amp, but always safe than sorry.
Capacitors, they store and release voltage, like batteries. They are just round cylinder looken things, usually have a voltage and a UF rating on them. You're gonna wanna look mainly at the larger ones for the yellowish ooze stuff, but be careful, sometimes they will put glue around the caps to keep them down, so don't mistake the glue for the ooze. The ooze will be almost powdery if it's dried.
I have a envoy transtube. The distortion was atrocious on that thing. I tried a Wampler Pinnacle and a Pigtronix Polysnatchurator, same story.It stopped working about a year or so ago, and I didn't give a crap. That's how bad the tone was.