Page 1 of 4
After learning how to pick locks with paperclips today, I'd say this is one. Any more ideas?

I would say changing your own oil in your car, but I feel like I really hope that's not an overlooked skill.
I walk the line between fantasy and reality. One is more fun, the other is where the food is.
As I learned how to build a house today I'd say this.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by Cap'n Braid

I would say changing your own oil in your car, but I feel like I really hope that's not an overlooked skill.

I was going to say that actually. I know quite a few people that don't know how to do it.
Quote by Cap'n Braid

I've been sat in cars with people who have almost put diesel in petrol tanks until I screamed at them.
I wouldn't be surprised if most people couldn't change the oil.

For me, I'd say being able to cook. Like, actually cook meals and self sustain. Not just ready meals and take outs all the time. I hate staying with friends in Uni because that's all they do
how to sew, how to fish, how to change a spare tire.
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
Being able to do basic maintenance on your vehicle (check/change oil, check/change tires).

Being able to do basic maintenance on house appliances. When something breaks the first time, I call someone out to fix it. Then I ask how they're fixing it. That way, I have an idea how to handle a similar problem without needing someone to do it for me.

Being able to cook healthy food for yourself.
Quantum physics.

Seriously, if more people knew that, a lot less people would be tricked by health frauds etc that puts the word "quantum" before a bullshit product to make it sound more scientific.

It would safe a lot of lives.
We should start calling it "The Fact of Evolution", theory, even though correct, does not work with the ignorant..
Quote by SkepsisMetal
I've been sat in cars with people who have almost put diesel in petrol tanks until I screamed at them.
I wouldn't be surprised if most people couldn't change the oil.

Who are these people and why do they drive? I can actually kiiiiinda understand not doing your own oil. Some people probably see it the same as balancing your tires, something that's so easy you pay someone else to do it. Granted, that's stupid, but not as stupid as not knowing what kinda gas you put in your car.

For me, I'd say being able to cook. Like, actually cook meals and self sustain. Not just ready meals and take outs all the time. I hate staying with friends in Uni because that's all they do

OH GOD YES.

This is actually next on my list.
I walk the line between fantasy and reality. One is more fun, the other is where the food is.
Changing your oil is something that I feel is over looked as well. I feel that people should know how to do at least as well as other simple things with cars. Also cook a decent meal. Its not that hard.
THE GEAR The Gear
Ibanez RGA121
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Schecter V7 Black Jack
PRS SE Custom 24
Ibanez S470
Line 6 Spider Valve 2x12
Read. Nobody knows how to just sit down with a book, and block out everything else. Knowing the basics of chess, solitaire, and Egyptian Rat Screw is also pretty valuable.
how to fish, disinfect water by boiling it, have protected sex and finger a giraffe
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
being able to distinguish between right and wrong. Although that's not really a skill, it's more of a form of common sense.
Also, common sense, again not really a skill. I'm pretty sure people just call it sense now, seeing as it's not all that common
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
As I learned how to build a house today I'd say this.

As I missed this earlier, explain.
Easily overlooked skill or an easy skill that is overlooked??

Learning how to put a potential attacker on the ground with minimal effort would be the latter. I think everyone needs to be taught personal safety instead of carrying 'rape kits' and pepper spray
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
I think fapping in public without getting caught is a good skill.

This.
Quote by Highway60Bob
i've always been looking for a good excuse to **** my mom.
How to wire a plug. It's goddamn simple to do right and safely. And how to change a lightbulb.

How to cook a decent meal, and not resorting to takeaways (Someone near the start mentioned this - high five, it's all my uni friends ever do, then complain they have no money :/)

The universal truth - lefty loosy, righty tighty.
How to build a good desktop PC. Far too many people buy pre-built computers from big name brands that are built with crappy parts and inevitibly go wrong. Build your own, damnit.
I can sew my own clothes.

And I'm awesome at keeping secrets. Only because I keep forgetting them afterwards.
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
Basic carpentry, cooking, sewing and properly setting up a tv system.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
+1 on cooking proper meals. When I got to uni I was pretty terrible at actually making something, usually relied on oven food. Wouldn't like to go back to that now.
I'd say cooking is overlooked in education, it's no wonder people are living off of processed foods if they've never learnt to cook.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
I'd say dancing. It's a lost art. I know maybe 1 or 2 people my age who can really dance. I really wanna learn.
Cooking. Saves you money, and after a little experimenting you can easily make better food than take-away.
When some stranger on the internet says it is so, it must be so.
Ambidextrous masturbation.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Would you be able to lock pick in real life if you have lvl 80 lock picking in skyrim? I feel like I got the maneuvers and feel right.
Quote by Mazzakazza

The universal truth - lefty loosy, righty tighty.

I used to adhere to this rule religiously. To me, nothing could ever be more truthful. Until one day I was repairing a wheelbarrow, and the screws just wouldn't turn. I stripped the heads, because it seemed so illogical that they wouldn't turn, so I just kept going at it. But then I realized they were reverse threaded, for no apparent reason at all. Now I follow a different rule: Always look both ways.
Also, I feel schools should actually give examples of what a healthy, balanced diet looks like.

Job interview techniques and CV writing should also be focused on at school, not everyone wants to go to uni.

S A D B O Y S
Last edited by I.O.T.M at Dec 6, 2011,
being a Jedi is a pretty useful skill. If more people knew that... well I don't really know, may the force be with you.
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Cooking is a big one. Personally like to take shortcuts and such in the kitchen, because I only cook for myself (Bacon in a sandwich press, omlette in a sandwich press, bacon and egg sandwich in a sandwich press, Baked Bean Pizza, etc)
but I can cook properly and quite well.

Depending on the sort of lifestyle you lead, knowing how to use a map and compass can be incredibly valuable. Lots of people are only going to visit historic cities if they travel abroad, but lost of others will need this knowledge for navigation.

How to tie a few simple, useful knots. Light a campfire without petrol (you'd be amazed).

Another one is Reading Aggressive Body Language. I honestly don't know why this isn't taught to teenagers before the legal drinking age, because too many drunken fights are because some kid didn't know they were pissing someone off.
Music is an art form that celebrates potential. So long as you're looking for it, you'll always find it.
Quote by Portuguese_boy
Would you be able to lock pick in real life if you have lvl 80 lock picking in skyrim? I feel like I got the maneuvers and feel right.

Have you ever tried? Its actually not that hard.

This thread has now become a resource. Let us help each other.

Step 0: Google directions, because I'm not great at explaining things.

Step 1: Get two paper clips. Size will depend on the keyhole you're wanting to pick. Standard size will probably work for your standard door lock.

Step 2: This is kinda hard to explain. Bend one paper clip all the way out into a straight line. Take one end, and make it into an L shape. This will be your torsion tool.

Step 3: Take the other paper clip and bend it out just once. This will be your pick.

Step 4: Put the straight end of the torsion tool into the side of the keyhole opposite the pins. Basically, whichever side of the keyhole that normally takes the ridged side of the key. You can usually tell just by looking in, but use a lighter if you're having trouble. You'll want to pull the interior cylinder in the direction you would turn the key to unlock it, usually to the left. Try and keep a constant pressure.

Step 5: Use the pick to kinda rake in and out of the keyhole, pushing tumblers up or down, depending on which way they're supposed to go. If there is enough torque from your torsion tool, they should set at different levels and let you get to the next one.

Step 6: Keep doing this, and abuse your right to trial and error. If it starts to hurt your hands, take a break, etc. Eventually, the interior cylinder will turn and you'll feel it unlock. Then you just have to open the door.
Quote by TextOnTheScreen
I used to adhere to this rule religiously. To me, nothing could ever be more truthful. Until one day I was repairing a wheelbarrow, and the screws just wouldn't turn. I stripped the heads, because it seemed so illogical that they wouldn't turn, so I just kept going at it. But then I realized they were reverse threaded, for no apparent reason at all. Now I follow a different rule: Always look both ways.

Who makes screws with reverse threads

I would've taken the barrow back and said it ****ed with the laws of physics.
Grocery shopping. So many people don't know what they need to buy

And everyone should know how to use a stove, even if they can't cook much.
cat
Last edited by guitarxo at Dec 6, 2011,
Money management is often overlooked, I know loads of people who got into needless debt at uni because they couldn't budget properly.

S A D B O Y S
Page 1 of 4