Hello all

I searched the forums for 8 string tuning and came up empty so hence this thread. I recently bought an 8 string Ibanez RGA 8 which is ****ing awesome, the only problem is I'm new to its type of bridge (similar to a floyd rose).

I'm having trouble tuning it to what Meshuggah use on some of their tracks. F Bb Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb (from low F to high f# in this case). The last 3 strings only make it to one semi tone below what is required. How do i fix this? Is there something i must do to the string tension? Or the bridge itself?
Are you trying to retune it only with the fine tuners? If so that's where you're going wrong.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Are you trying to retune it only with the fine tuners? If so that's where you're going wrong.

Can u extrapolate on what i should be doing then rather than on what I'm doing wrong? I've never owned a guitar with this kind of bridge setup
If I were you, I'd undo the locking nut and leave it undone (unless you're hitting the lowest 2 strings really hard). Since the bridge is fixed anyway, treating like a fixed bridge will make your life a lot easier ;P
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Quote by Evangelion 00
Can u extrapolate on what i should be doing then rather than on what I'm doing wrong? I've never owned a guitar with this kind of bridge setup

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=614226

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Sorry Chaps appears to be more problems with this bridge. the top nut on the bridge which holds the string buzzes. i can physically move it with my fingers while the others are firmly in place. any ideas?
Quote by Twistedrock
RGA8s don't have floyds, brah They're fixed Edges.

Thread still applies, just doesn't need to be balanced I assume, I'm not going to go through the tuning process for an Edge when that thread covers any double locking bridge.

If you can't take what that thread says and apply it then you've got bigger problems than tuning your guitar anyway...

Quote by Evangelion 00
Sorry Chaps appears to be more problems with this bridge. the top nut on the bridge which holds the string buzzes. i can physically move it with my fingers while the others are firmly in place. any ideas?

Tighten it with one of the allen keys that should have come with the guitar. Assuming it's now in tune anyway.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Tighten it with one of the allen keys that should have come with the guitar. Assuming it's now in tune anyway.

Ive tightened it and its stopped buzzing and its in tune but the top string doesnt stay in tune at all? any ideas?
i tune the top string to E yet when i play on the 7th fret, which should be B it comes up as C. any ideas?
Quote by Evangelion 00
i tune the top string to E yet when i play on the 7th fret, which should be B it comes up as C. any ideas?

Intonation's out, look up a guide on sorting it out or just go get it set up by a pro.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Intonation's out, look up a guide on sorting it out or just go get it set up by a pro.

ive been looking but cant find anything yet. i'll keep searching
Undo locking nut.
Put string on.
Tune up to desired pitch.
Lock nut.
Use fine tuners on the bridge to achieve desired pitch.

For intonation, hit the 12th fret and the 12th fret harmonic. If the fret is lower than the harmonic, move the saddle forward. If the fret is higher than the harmonic, move the saddle back. I also do it on the 24th fret to make sure most of my frets are in tune.

If you're using a bass string for your eighth string, there's a good chance it's not sitting in the saddle properly and is really throwing off your intonation. If so, try pushing the string down on the saddle so it bends and sits across the saddle, rather than 'up' and 'out'. Then get a guitar string of a similar gauge.

That should be everything...
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221