I may sound like an idiot here, but don't be too cruel </3
Basically, right now I have a Line 6 Spider jam, and it's a good quality amp, but we're gigging now in my band a lot more, and I'm wanting to switch to a cab & head deal rather than a combo, and I'm wondering if it's possible to use just a Cab without a head, and maybe run pedals straight into it? Just they can be quite pricey, and I'd buy a head eventually, I'm wondering now if that's possible?
Thanks!
Quote by Dylan_182
I may sound like an idiot here, but don't be too cruel </3
Basically, right now I have a Line 6 Spider jam, and it's a good quality amp, but we're gigging now in my band a lot more, and I'm wanting to switch to a cab & head deal rather than a combo, and I'm wondering if it's possible to use just a Cab without a head, and maybe run pedals straight into it? Just they can be quite pricey, and I'd buy a head eventually, I'm wondering now if that's possible?
Thanks!

You need some sort of power amp, otherwise there's nothing to drive the speakers and thus make noise.

You really don't need a head+cab setup, it's strictly personal preference.

Why don't you tell us how much you're looking to spend and what you play, and maybe UG can save you some money?
No, you cannot.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
So I could practically just plug the output from my current amp into a cab and use that kind of set-up?
I play mainly hard rock and a little blues sometimes, but all my tone comes from my pedals anyway & I'm pretty much looking to spend what I'd get from selling the Line 6 plus up to around £100, so maybe £350ish.
Quote by kyle62
You need some sort of power amp, otherwise there's nothing to drive the speakers and thus make noise.

You really don't need a head+cab setup, it's strictly personal preference.

Why don't you tell us how much you're looking to spend and what you play, and maybe UG can save you some money?

So I could practically just plug the output from my current amp into a cab and use that kind of set-up?
I play mainly hard rock and a little blues sometimes, but all my tone comes from my pedals anyway & I'm pretty much looking to spend what I'd get from selling the Line 6 plus up to around £100, so maybe £350ish.
Quote by Dylan_182

I wouldn't expect to get that much for the Jam, to be brutally honest.

£350 will easily get you a secondhand Line6 Flextone, which will feel quite familar coming from your Spider but is a huge step up in tone and quality. I've seen them as low as £100 on ebay.

They're loud, reliable, versatile and generally excellent budget gigging amps.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Line-6-Flextone-III-Combo-1x12-Electric-Guitar-Amp-/130584702712?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item1e67746ef8 - brand new, £290 + £6 delivery

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Line-6-Flextone-III-XL-FBV-shortboard-and-Line-6-cover-/300628917239?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item45fee13bf7 - secondhand, £230 including the big fancy foot controller (collection only though)
Quote by kyle62
I wouldn't expect to get that much for the Jam, to be brutally honest.

£350 will easily get you a secondhand Line6 Flextone, which will feel quite familar coming from your Spider but is a huge step up in tone and quality. I've seen them as low as £100 on ebay.

They're loud, reliable, versatile and generally excellent budget gigging amps.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Line-6-Flextone-III-Combo-1x12-Electric-Guitar-Amp-/130584702712?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item1e67746ef8 - brand new, £290 + £6 delivery

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Line-6-Flextone-III-XL-FBV-shortboard-and-Line-6-cover-/300628917239?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item45fee13bf7 - secondhand, £230 including the big fancy foot controller (collection only though)

Any cabs you'd suggest? As I could run the spider or even my little fender frontman through it instead?
Either of those amps will sound just as bad, and just as quiet, through a bigger cab. There's no point in spending money on a cab in your situation unless you're getting a head to go with it.

I think you're overestimating the role of the cab in the amplification process.
Quote by Dylan_182
Any cabs you'd suggest? As I could run the spider or even my little fender frontman through it instead?

No, they're combos!

EDIT: 311, you are Das Übertroll. Nice amp
Last edited by kyle62 at Dec 6, 2011,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
my trolling days are over

continues to troll...
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
a valve JR would blow for gigging. I mean, you could do it mic'd into a PA... but I'm just gonna go on the assumption that there's no PA in the equation. So no, that setup would not be ideal.

Would probably sound better than the spider jam, but that little 5W head will have a hard time keeping up with a drummer. And you can forget about having any cleans.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by jpatan
a valve JR would blow for gigging. I mean, you could do it mic'd into a PA... but I'm just gonna go on the assumption that there's no PA in the equation. So no, that setup would not be ideal.

Would probably sound better than the spider jam, but that little 5W head will have a hard time keeping up with a drummer. And you can forget about having any cleans.

So maybe this would be more ideal?
http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Kustom-KG100HFX-100W-Guitar-Head-With-Digital-FX/DF6
and only £40ish more
Never heard of that amp... Would it work? Yes. Sound quality

Since this has basically turned into a "what amp" thread, what's your total budget for an amp. Or an amp + cab ?
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

And so it goes
So 300
Quote by tubetime86

And so it goes
Quote by Dylan_182
So, to hear me out, if I bought these
http://www.gak.co.uk/en/epiphone-valve-junior-5w-head/2008
http://www.hartnollguitars.co.uk/products.asp?id=4054

then that would be fine?
I'm not concerned about the lack of tone control etc, as it all comes from my pedals anyway.

Not a good idea. It's going to be loads quieter than your spider jam (not really enough to cut through in a band) and the cab isn't very good. It's a very, very basic amp.

I'm guessing you really want a head and cab 'because it looks cool', that's fine as long as you're not making a sacrifice with the sound.

The best rig IO can think of in your price range would be this:

Jet City 20H (£160)

Harley Benton G212 Vintage (£160)

EDIT
: I've actually found a video of a kid using this exact combination on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMu1c5mMfRA&feature=channel_video_title

Sounds pretty good, and he's a hell of a player.

Here's a another video of the same head with a similar cab: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx_0sLIdWS0
Last edited by kyle62 at Dec 7, 2011,
+1 on the jet city idea all you need is a clean tube amp (if you're gigging 15watts and over should give you a decent clean tone) for your pedals.
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
Quote by LivinJoke84

I'd probably go for this, if anything, and then get a slightly higher quality cab, and eventually get a real head too. thank you!
Quote by kyle62
Not a good idea. It's going to be loads quieter than your spider jam (not really enough to cut through in a band) and the cab isn't very good. It's a very, very basic amp.

I'm guessing you really want a head and cab 'because it looks cool', that's fine as long as you're not making a sacrifice with the sound.

The best rig IO can think of in your price range would be this:

Jet City 20H (£160)

Harley Benton G212 Vintage (£160)

EDIT
: I've actually found a video of a kid using this exact combination on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMu1c5mMfRA&feature=channel_video_title

Sounds pretty good, and he's a hell of a player.

Here's a another video of the same head with a similar cab: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx_0sLIdWS0

+1 to Kyle
The Jet City is AWESOME for oldschool hard rock tones, it's a bit on the british side, so it would be best if used for 80's tones mostly, but with a boost and eq shaping it'll do modern tones aswell.
*chugga chugga chuggity chug chug chug*
Quote by Dylan_182
I'd probably go for this, if anything, and then get a slightly higher quality cab, and eventually get a real head too. thank you!

I really don't think that's the way to go. Your spider is much louder, more versatile, and probably better sounding (forgive me, UG). There's absolutely no point.

How about the Bugera 6260 for £260 ?

This thing is big, very loud, all-valve and has a ton of gain on tap too for hard rock/metal - though it cleans up quite nicely.
Quote by kyle62
I really don't think that's the way to go. Your spider is much louder, more versatile, and probably better sounding (forgive me, UG). There's absolutely no point.

This thing is big, very loud, all-valve and has a ton of gain on tap too for hard rock/metal - though it cleans up quite nicely.

+1

At this point, we can all just leave, cause Kyle has definitely taken over the thread

Two excellent suggestions already. Just listen to him
Quote by Blktiger0
+1

At this point, we can all just leave, cause Kyle has definitely taken over the thread

Two excellent suggestions already. Just listen to him

I am Das Übernerd!
Quote by kyle62

Yeah, I really do hate the Spider :L I only ever use a completely clean channel on it with a decent pedal, I was just wanting to upgrade the overall volume, and I thought a cab/head option would be the best way to do that.
running an amp into more speakers wont make it any louder
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
running an amp into more speakers wont make it any louder

Oh, don't you start...

Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
my trolling days are over

Actually, they aren't. You almost had me with that 2 year old thread there. Almost.

I award you 1 internet.
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED