So my background has always been in prog/fusion/metal so as of late I've been working mostly on my technique, which is great because I feel like I have a really good foundation now but when it comes to learning something A la Hendrix, I feel lost. I'm so used to a very strict metronome style of playing and Jimi obviously just has this great "feel" which you can't get with a metronome (in my opinion), so I'm just curious how to tackle this style...

TL,DR: I suck at Hendrix, where do I start? Halp.
Like you said, it's about the feel. I think to play like Hendrix, you really need to get a natural feel for the songs, which isn't something that can be taught necessarily.
Do drugs, play crappy guitar sounds with a horrible dirty tone and mess up your technique.

And please stop with all this "you need to feel it" crap.
Quote by Zeletros
Do drugs, play crappy guitar sounds with a horrible dirty tone and mess up your technique.

Did daddy never love you?
I had a similar issue a few years ago. Practice with a drummer, and try to make up your own fills/leads using the original as a guide line. A good portion of that music is improvised, so if you wanna feel it you're going to have to improvise as well. The metronome can't adapt when you fall off time, good drummer's can, and if you're practicing improvising you will fall off time a lot.
alot of the hendrix feel is about the timing of how he plays. he borrows alot of from the 60s R&B greats such as curtis mayfield then added his own bluesyness to it. I'd suggest listening to some of that as sort of a foundation to compare it to what jimi is doing.

hope that helps
play lazyish i guess and try to improvise a bit. i mean i know it might not be like the original but hendrix would have been improvising, not really thinking about getting it perfect and that kind of gets him that feel sound youre looking for
I would say that it's a feel more then anything. It would be easier to look at sheet music and see how his rhythm patterns are. A lot of players have a rhythm style they can use a lot. I would suggest incoporating your own style or mark into it though so you can develop unqiuely but a lot of people try to emulate some one. Just depends on your goals.
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
Quote by Brainpolice2
Yes, a good starting point for Hendrixian playing is exploring those ways of taking a chord and playing melodically around it with little embellishments and double stops.

This is a big part of it, and listening and trying to make it sound like him as closely as possible works. if you're any good at fusion and prog, you know how to sound like that style, and it's the same Idea to get this kind down. It takes practice, I did the same thing, coming from the exact same position as you, and I was able to pretty much master it. Just practice getting the mechanical aspect down and then learning how to really express the notes the same way.
If you watch some Stevie Ray videos, he really nailed Hendrix about as close as anyone can. Down to the reverse tremolo on his strat and little stuff like chewing gum to the beat while he's jamming the songs. Those things sound unimportant, but they were important enough for SRV to incorporate it into his cloning of Hendrix.
Quote by Dio10101
This is a big part of it, and listening and trying to make it sound like him as closely as possible works. if you're any good at fusion and prog, you know how to sound like that style, and it's the same Idea to get this kind down. It takes practice, I did the same thing, coming from the exact same position as you, and I was able to pretty much master it. Just practice getting the mechanical aspect down and then learning how to really express the notes the same way.

This is really the best advice you can get. There's also a lot of videos on youtube that can explain it easily. Justin Sandcoe(or something like that, justinguitar.com) has a really good video on it.
Gear:
2011 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
2012 Tanglewood TW170

Boss Katana 100w 1x112
Line 6 HD500
Hendrix, "feel"

Raged. It's not voodoo, soul or magical blues negro ability. It's guitar technique like anything else. Andy Aledort is one of the best in explaining the techniques of Hendrix.
Quote by _LoveFuzz_
Raged. It's not voodoo, soul or magical blues negro ability. It's guitar technique like anything else. Andy Aledort is one of the best in explaining the techniques of Hendrix.

False. Hendrix clearly had magic powers.
Quote by Zeletros

go play with people you metronome wanker.

TS: if you haven't played with a drummer and bassist before in a live setting, do it. the metronome helps you build technique, but no one wants to listen to that, especially since you probably have a strong gasp of 4/4 but little experience with 3/4, 7/8, and other common time signatures if you're using a simple metronome. you need to learn how to groove and how to manipulate rhythm - that's why hendrix is so idolized. he combined blues rhythm with rock lead and helped break the boundaries between what's possible with an electric guitar, and it still sounds good.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Xeus
alot of the hendrix feel is about the timing of how he plays. he borrows alot of from the 60s R&B greats such as curtis mayfield then added his own bluesyness to it. I'd suggest listening to some of that as sort of a foundation to compare it to what jimi is doing.

hope that helps

This is the right answer. A lot of what he does is that slightly swung 16th note feel of 60's R&B that he copped on the chitlin circuit. That's where you start.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Quote by Zeletros

Why are you such a dick?

OT: Improvising was a big part of what made him great, he usually had a structure and just went with it (especially the acid trip solos). When I was learning his style playing with a backing track always helped. Don't worry about the rhythm much, just make sure it fits into the amount of bars he soloed in in the original recording (that is, if that's what you want to do). Also, tap your foot, and don't be afraid to play odd notes.
you're a stone fox
Listen to his music endlessly and learn his style and some licks ex. double stops and improvise all your solos.
Quote by Maximo33
...like chewing gum to the beat while he's jamming the songs.

Where did you hear that nonsense at?
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
I have started learning guitar by learning Hendrix songs, actually it occured to me at the third song that i was playing the same thing over and over. The are basically 4 or 5 tricks he does, and he does them pretty well, but it is just those 5 tricks.

For me learning hendrixisms was learning those tricks, and from there, move on. I dont think there's a point in learning Hendrix songs, since he didnt even know his songs, every record you check the songs are different, he improvises a lot around chords, and again... it's just a couple of tricks, when you know 3 songs, you know them all... probably.
Quote by Sleaze Disease
Where did you hear that nonsense at?

He probably just saw a couple of the live videos where he's chewing on something or another and made an assumption
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.