I have heard that a lot of people say that the best way to increase your downpicking speed is to do exercises (downpicking ofc) with a metronome. I want to hear ya UGs opinions and thoughts. Am I right or do you know about better ways to improve your downpicking?

I have been playing Master Of Puppets with metronome as an exercise. Is this a good exercise or do you know about better exercises?

Thank you UGs!
Personally I like Michael Angelo Batio's view. MAB says that if you Tremolo pick as fast as you can WHILE maintaining a steady tempo that is your max picking speed or MPS for short. To improve your MPS will involve techinque, and practice!

Try slowing down your playing and MAKE AS LITTLE movements as possible while maintaining clarity, and note accuracy. Over time you can bump the BPS(Beats per second) up. This will distill a very good techinque. Now you will notice that your MPS will drastically have improved!

Now the practice comes in with good techinque, after a period of time you will improve your alternative picking and it will match your MPS.

But IMPORTANTLY use a Meteronome to keep it in time.

Happy Practicing!
Xter
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
The MAB "advice" about MPS is complete bollocks to be honest and is best ignored.

However everything else regarding economy of motion and gradual increases is textbook advice, but arguable it's the same for every aspect of playing guitar.

Use a metronome to keep time.
Practice at a speed where you can play accurately, correctly and in time.
Focus on making your movements as controlled and economical as possible.
Forget about "speed", how fast you can play depends entirely on how good your technique is - you can't just "try" to play faster.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Master of Puppets is a downpicking cliche, but that's just because it's a good example of it. It's a good one to practise. I've been practising nearly only downpicking lately - these songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1KwFSsy4OM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVNtnOFdP4Y

Make sure you are not tense. Also focus on having your motion small while maintaining a moderately loud pick stroke.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
First of, play only w/ metronome. Second, play on the highest speed you can while hitting perfectly on time. Third, you don't want just good picking so sync pick w/ fretting hand. Use some simple for fretting hand exercises to improve like triplets or 5-6-7-8 on every string.

And one more thing. If you unsure with your timing, then instead of playing as fast as you can, play as slowly as you can. It'll develop your natural metronome better that anything else.
To improve your downpicking, you should also focus on up picking as you want to focus on getting the same repeatable motion with minimum movement.

Downpicking is down up, you just dont pick on the up.

How well you come back up determines the tightness and accuracy of your next downpick
Quote by steven seagull
The MAB "advice" about MPS is complete bollocks to be honest and is best ignored.

However everything else regarding economy of motion and gradual increases is textbook advice, but arguable it's the same for every aspect of playing guitar.

Use a metronome to keep time.
Practice at a speed where you can play accurately, correctly and in time.
Focus on making your movements as controlled and economical as possible.
Forget about "speed", how fast you can play depends entirely on how good your technique is - you can't just "try" to play faster.

I don't think it's completely bs. I mean that is your "Fastest" possible controlled picking speed at a given point in time and it can increase. If you set that as a goal to reach that MPS with downpicking, economy picking, or alternative picking. You can get extremely close by practicing slow with fluently managed motion. So really in the sense your MPS is more of a goal then an asset.

But for the TS, Speed is the by-product of Accuracy! And keep it in time!
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
^ MPS is pretty useless. It's only really useful in showing you how hard it actually is to pick well across strings and with the left hand perfectly in synch.

You don't want to improve your mps, you want to improve your picking. Focusing on increasing your "max" is massively detrimental to people new to technical guitar playing. It's perfectly fine to talk about if you're dealing with people who have been practising slowly and improving their technique for years... but introduce it to newbies and they'll just try and spazz pick as fast as possible and then try and push the metronome on that. Which is actively detrimental to your technique!
Quote by Xter
Personally I like Michael Angelo Batio's view. MAB says that if you Tremolo pick as fast as you can WHILE maintaining a steady tempo that is your max picking speed or MPS for short. To improve your MPS will involve techinque, and practice!

Try slowing down your playing and MAKE AS LITTLE movements as possible while maintaining clarity, and note accuracy. Over time you can bump the BPS(Beats per second) up. This will distill a very good techinque. Now you will notice that your MPS will drastically have improved!

Now the practice comes in with good techinque, after a period of time you will improve your alternative picking and it will match your MPS.

But IMPORTANTLY use a Meteronome to keep it in time.

Happy Practicing!
Xter

for one, its PPS (potential picking speed) and two, he has much better areas on his DVD's that would help you
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Quote by Freepower
^ MPS is pretty useless. It's only really useful in showing you how hard it actually is to pick well across strings and with the left hand perfectly in synch.

You don't want to improve your mps, you want to improve your picking. Focusing on increasing your "max" is massively detrimental to people new to technical guitar playing. It's perfectly fine to talk about if you're dealing with people who have been practising slowly and improving their technique for years... but introduce it to newbies and they'll just try and spazz pick as fast as possible and then try and push the metronome on that. Which is actively detrimental to your technique!

True because I think it's implied that notes should be in Sync and one of each at a time. Not 100 16th notes of a C note followed by 100 16th notes of a D Note

Quote by madh4ttr
for one, its PPS (potential picking speed) and two, he has much better areas on his DVD's that would help you

It's been forever since I watched Metal Method with MAB I was trying to amp it with his terms but it a different way, guess i failed
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
Last edited by Xter at Dec 8, 2011,
what i do to get my picking speed up again after a long pause of playing is...

play at a comfortable speed while picking harder for 3 or 4 days and then put the tempo up while playing light again. and then start with harder picking again.

at least that works for me