I read somewhere that every person you see in a dream you have already seen while you were awake.
Does anyone know if the same is true for music? Can you come up with original music while dreaming?
I don't recall ever hearing music in my dreams..

I daydream about music often, but as far as while sleeping goes, I don't know. I suppose it would be possible.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
I've come up with (as far as I'm aware) original music in dreams before.

Can never remember it properly when I wake up though
I actually dreamed about me coming up with riffs so it's either possible, or I was hearing stuff I came up with before......
Gear

Ibanez RGD320
BC Rich Bich
JimDeacon SG
Fender Mustang II
I've had dreams where I was composing songs that I later worked up when I woke.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Can't be true. I remember I heard a part of an existing song that wasn't anywhere to be found when I looked for it. I must have made it up in my dream. And it was ****ing fantastic to the rest of the song.

Sleep, that's where I'm a Mozart!

sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
I've dreamt to music before.... So What by Miles Davis and John Coltrane together....... I was literally miles playing an awesome trumpet solo and listening to Coltrane thinking.... how in the fuck does this guy do that shit??????

I've had nightmares to Bob Dylan before.... Ones I can't quite recall but I remember they weren't pleasant.

I've had nightmares to a lot of music, but I think jewels like dreaming in So What are god damn refreshing as all hell.
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Quote by sashki
I meant, is the music you hear in dreams original, or is it always something you've heard before while awake?

Oh I see. That's actually very interesting to think about..

I imagine it would be like if you thought about original music while concious. Your influences will have an effect on what you produce while your own mind makes it unique. I could see that happening in the subconcious.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

I've come up with awesome stuff which I have later forgotten.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Sometimes I wake up in the middle of, or immediately after a song in my dream, and I can hear a part of it clear as day for a moment after I wake up, but I don't know if it's "original" music or if it's something I've heard somewhere before, and even if it was original, I can't do anything with it because I don't know how. It doesn't happen often though.
Last edited by Concurssi at Dec 6, 2011,
Paul McCartney apparently came up with the tune for Yesterday in his dream and wrote it down when he woke up.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Trowzaa
Paul McCartney apparently came up with the tune for Yesterday in his dream and wrote it down when he woke up.

He should've kept on dreaming and maybe a better song would've popped up. One of the most boring songs by The Beatles imo.

Speaking of Yesterday. Well done Liverpool.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Dec 6, 2011,
Quote by Trowzaa

That song is dreamy though.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

I think Satch wrote a song straight out of a dream. It's called something really clever and creative like 'Dream Song', or something
Rotten Playground
Listen to me and Jameh muck about on a podcast
as if you have anything better to do.

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
When I hear a song I haven't heard before in my dreams, I almost always completely forget about it when I wake up. The only dreams I remember are nightmares.
Probably. It's easy to imagine new orders for notes to go in, but imagining a completely new face is difficult.
Last edited by whalepudding at Dec 6, 2011,
I recurrently hear this in my dreams. Especially the piano.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjINXbJ3vdo

Pretty obligatory.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 6, 2011,
Quote by HeretiK538
I think Satch wrote a song straight out of a dream. It's called something really clever and creative like 'Dream Song', or something

This.
I don't hear music in my dreams, but for some reason when I wake up in the morning, the first thing I do is come up with really awesome riffs in my head. Then once I'm able to pick up my guitar and play, I completely forget them. It's annoying as hell.
I heard lots of music in my dreams. Not original though.
I heard sgt peppers lonely hearts club band in my dream.
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
I'm pretty sure I've written many songs in my dreams. ****ing awesome ones, too. Too bad I can never remember them when I wake.

I suppose though, that they could have just been existing songs that I thought were original, like when you're dreaming you're at the beach or something, but you wake up and realise that the thing you were calling a beach is actually a cat's anus, or like when you're dreaming you're hanging out with a friend but when you wake up you realise your friend was actually a cat's anus.
Quote by HeretiK538

Lol he names all his music in this same style.
Quote by Zoot Allures
The riff to satisfaction was made when Keith dreamt it and woke up and quickly recorded it on a tape recorder.

actually, ronnie wood wrote that riff

true story bro

MOTHERFUCKER

I could have sworn Ronnie wrote that shit

EDIT 2: Jesus christ, Bill Wyman I mean

why dont i know anything about the stones
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Last edited by Primus2112 at Dec 7, 2011,
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
He should've kept on dreaming and maybe a better song would've popped up. One of the most boring songs by The Beatles imo.

Speaking of Yesterday. Well done Liverpool.

Just seen this now, shut up, you ****.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by sashki
I read somewhere that every person you see in a dream you have already seen while you were awake.
Does anyone know if the same is true for music? Can you come up with original music while dreaming?

I don't think that's true....

EDIT: To answer your question, yes. I have come up with the most epic riffs in dreams. Only problem is, I forget them when I wake up.
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
Last edited by stealstrings at Dec 7, 2011,
We know next to nothing about dreams.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by The_Sophist
We know next to nothing about dreams.

Relevance = 0.

Anyway, you guys remember a while back they were able to reconstruct fuzzy images from some person's dreams by using brainwaves that they recorded?
Think about that happening with music. Think of all the crazy ass music we'd get