Looking to move out and into an Apartment with a few friends, assuming that I can cancel my contract with my college dorm.

My biggest concern is the cost of food, which I would like to keep minimal. I am not a picky eater in the least, so what would I end up spending per month? I need to keep the cost less than what I would be spending for dorm food, yet still eat decently. I asked my brother who's in a Fraternity, and he said he spends $50-$75 USD, although he wasn't quite sure.

tl;dr: How much do you guys spend on food per month?
ehm, 50-75 usd for food for one month? That's ****ing impossible? Or Sweden is extremely expensive.

I spend roughly 30 usd a week on food I guess.

About 120-150 usd a month without a doubt.

I don't buy that expensive food.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Dec 6, 2011,
I probably spend 75-85 a month on food. It alters, really, depending on what I need.

Like when I run out of Nesquik. That's another 8 to 9 dollars every 2 or 3 months that I need to spend.

I need Nesquik.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by Life Is Brutal
Looking to move out and into an Apartment with a few friends, assuming that I can cancel my contract with my college dorm.

My biggest concern is the cost of food, which I would like to keep minimal. I am not a picky eater in the least, so what would I end up spending per month? I need to keep the cost less than what I would be spending for dorm food, yet still eat decently. I asked my brother who's in a Fraternity, and he said he spends $50-$75 USD, although he wasn't quite sure.

tl;dr: How much do you guys spend on food per month?

That sounds ridiculous. I spend like £150-170 on food a month and my food is cheap as hell because i'm in the army.
Depends what you buy, and what you know how to cook.
Everyone says pasta and rice, but they aren't the cheapest food in the world.
Best economical advice? Just buy shit. Cheap, frozen, shit.

I know that kinda contradicts my post about everyone knowing how to cook in the skills thread, but if money's a big problem then...yeah. ^ ^
If you're just feeding yourself, you can go around 100 us.

You can even go lower if you don't mind eating shit food that's going to be terrible for you all the time. Eating better is more expensive.

Ridiculously so, sadly.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
So eat shit, cheap frozen shit.

Or alternatively, eat better, pay more. I'd like to keep it at around $100, although as long as I keep total expenditures under $4000, I should be good.

I should also mention that rent would be $350 a month, although if I can use scholarships/financial aid to pay for it, I would only have to pay around $1,200 and the cost of food for an entire years worth of living. That's with tuition included.
Quote by Life Is Brutal
So eat shit, cheap frozen shit.

Or alternatively, eat better, pay more. I'd like to keep it at around $100, although as long as I keep total expenditures under $4000, I should be good.

I should also mention that rent would be $350 a month, although if I can use scholarships/financial aid to pay for it, I would only have to pay around $1,200 and the cost of food for an entire years worth of living. That's with tuition included.

Well, I'm fine the way it is. I'd rather eat decent food. I'm not low on money anyway.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
Well, I'm fine the way it is. I'd rather eat decent food. I'm not low on money anyway.

Are you living in dorms currently? The food is good and its a great community, being in a residence hall, but I could save a few grand and have my own place if I were to move out.

I'd hate to think that I'm paying more for something that isn't as good as something cheaper. If that makes sense.
I am a student feeding myself and I spend just over £20 every couple of weeks, so about £10-12 per week.

Top tips: brands are pointless, ignore them. Pasta is VERY cheap and bulks up meals. Vegetables are mostly cheap.
Also don't be afraid of ready meals. I always thought making it yourself would be cheaper, but it's really not. Morrisons microwave lasagnes are 79p, the mince alone would cost more than that making it yourself. Similarly, that's almost a whole meal for under a pound (if you add some peas and such).
Quote by MadClownDisease
I am a student feeding myself and I spend just over £20 every couple of weeks, so about £10-12 per week.

Top tips: brands are pointless, ignore them. Pasta is VERY cheap and bulks up meals. Vegetables are mostly cheap.
Also don't be afraid of ready meals. I always thought making it yourself would be cheaper, but it's really not. Morrisons microwave lasagnes are 79p, the mince alone would cost more than that making it yourself. Similarly, that's almost a whole meal for under a pound (if you add some peas and such).

Wow, sweden is expensive as shit when it comes to food then. Ready meals are generally about 2 euro + the very least.
Even if you do Ramen noodles you are looking at 125 minimum. I spend more like 200 a month.
language
jazyk
kieli
язык
العربية

My Tumblr: Lots of artist recommendations, album reviews, and ideas about music (as well as some film and bike stuff).

Go Sharks! Go Wings! Go Flyers! Go Kings!
I spend like 25 quid a week on food but I eat well. I live with people who spend about £8 a week on food. Shit's crazy.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
ehm, 50-75 usd for food for one month? That's ****ing impossible? Or Sweden is extremely expensive.

I spend roughly 300 usd a week on food I guess.

About 120-150 usd a month without a doubt.

I don't buy that expensive food.

300 a week and 150 a month?
You somehow earn money by eating for a month so the money spent on food is halved compared to the ones spent during a week?
That's cool.
Quote by JB95
300 a week and 150 a month?
You somehow earn money by eating for a month so the money spent on food is halved compared to the ones spent during a week?
That's cool.

Oh. I edited that wrong in some way. 30 a week. And 120-150 a month.
Quote by funeralllllllll
stop shaving and become a freegan

Ironically, I was riding in a car with a freegan who said she needed to go "Shopping". We pull up to a supermarket, then drive around back. She proceeds to dig through the dumpster and actually found a lot of stuff that was still good.
Quote by Life Is Brutal
Ironically, I was riding in a car with a freegan who said she needed to go "Shopping". We pull up to a supermarket, then drive around back. She proceeds to dig through the dumpster and actually found a lot of stuff that was still good.

Supermarkets will throw stuff out that's approaching it's sell-by date, or has damaged packaging. I heard that about a third of all food is thrown out. Most of it is probably still fit for consumption, within reason.

I haven't done it myself, but I think I may end up having to at some point.
I actually eat pretty decently at 80USD a month. I had a pork chop and baked potato last night

Also, an overlooked factor is what you drink. Soft drinks and stuff add up pretty fast. I drink filtered water or make my own tea, and that saves a noticeable amount of money over a month.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Frozen foods may be more convenient, but I'd be hard pressed to find anything readymade that will fill you up and keep you nourished like rice & beans or lentils would. Seriously, a 20lb bag of rice is super cheap and will keep indefinitely, dried beans are dirt cheap. Rice & beans together are very nutritious and will stick to your ribs.

I'd really stay away from buying much meat, and the stuff you do buy should be cheaper cuts. Pork shoulder is pretty cheap and when you slow cook it, it will shred beautifully. Use it for pulled pork sandwiches, put it on rice, in pasta, etc. Really you are just going to want to look for ways to buy stuff in bulk and reuse it as much as you can. Buy a whole chicken, eat it various ways for a couple meals, then use the carcass to make soup. Stuff like that.

Source: 4 years of frugal college living, and a deep passion for cooking.

Edit: By the way, eGraham made a really good point. There is no reason to drink soda or anything of the sort. It's a complete waste, and really not good for you.
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
Don't argue with my new deity.
Last edited by wyldething at Dec 6, 2011,
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
Oh. I edited that wrong in some way. 30 a week. And 120-150 a month.

30 a week? 130-150 kroner? I could spend that in a day haha!
What kind of food are you buying then?
Btw, jag gillar taco.
Quote by JB95
30 a week? 130-150 kroner? I could spend that in a day haha!
What kind of food are you buying then?
Btw, jag gillar taco.

To be fair I usually spend 300+ kronor a week. I was thinking about euros in my head. Forgot the dollar is quite weak at the moment.

I usually buy pasta, tortillas, bacon, chicken, burgers, rice, milk, some cheese and pasta carbonara. Normal stuff I guess.
i spend about £20 a week on food.

though i can get down to about £2 a day when im really skint.
now extra flamey
50 to 75 a month! Impossible. A basic grocery list over here (ottawa), shopping at food basics or no frills or price chopper (the cheap places) would cost me a good 100$ a week/week and a half if I'm living alone.

I don't know. I find the states are just so ****ed up with that shit. My buddy crossed the border a few weeks ago to do a few things, I don't know how much he filled up at (with the gallons and all, i dont know how to convert), but he did it and it came out to 94cents a litre. 94 ****ING CENTS A LITRE. Are you kidding me. The last time I saw a gas sign posting 94 cents a litre was probably in like 7th grade, and even that was considered to be getting a little too much for my dad to fill up the old van. I am thankful to have 116c/litre over here when things simmer down every few months for a few weeks.

And the alcohol. I'm sorry but you guys have the most ridiculous prices. I envy you like you can't imagine. This girl I know who lives in Ohio now, she goes and gets herself a 2L vodka bottle for 8$, and she was saying she gets this cheap beer for 4$ a six pack. If you guys would have something similar to the LCBO over there, it would be ****ing chaos. 2L of vodka, try minimum40$. If you're lucky. The only place where beer comes out close to a 1$ a beer is in quebec.
Quote by metalblaster
50 to 75 a month! Impossible. A basic grocery list over here (ottawa), shopping at food basics or no frills or price chopper (the cheap places) would cost me a good 100$ a week/week and a half if I'm living alone.

I don't know. I find the states are just so ****ed up with that shit. My buddy crossed the border a few weeks ago to do a few things, I don't know how much he filled up at (with the gallons and all, i dont know how to convert), but he did it and it came out to 94cents a litre. 94 ****ING CENTS A LITRE. Are you kidding me. The last time I saw a gas sign posting 94 cents a litre was probably in like 7th grade, and even that was considered to be getting a little too much for my dad to fill up the old van. I am thankful to have 116c/litre over here when things simmer down every few months for a few weeks.

And the alcohol. I'm sorry but you guys have the most ridiculous prices. I envy you like you can't imagine. This girl I know who lives in Ohio now, she goes and gets herself a 2L vodka bottle for 8$, and she was saying she gets this cheap beer for 4$ a six pack. If you guys would have something similar to the LCBO over there, it would be ****ing chaos. 2L of vodka, try minimum40$. If you're lucky. The only place where beer comes out close to a 1$ a beer is in quebec.

Whats the minimum wage in Canada? (I assume its Canada anyway)

I met some Australian dude who was complaining everything costs more in Australia, but he was making $20 an hour as a liquor store clerk.
a hamburger at mcdonalds is like 89 cents. fruit and vegetables at kroger are cheap as hell. besides if you do the self-scan it's super easy to shoplift. got four cans of soup? scan two. oops, forgot the other two! my b.

money saved. do i do this? no, because i have the misfortune of having a conscience and the fortune of having enough money. but if i didn't, damn right i'd steal from kroger.
#DTWD
I spend about $50 per week on food...if there's no big outing with friends.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
Wow, sweden is expensive as shit when it comes to food then. Ready meals are generally about 2 euro + the very least.

That's a VERY cheap instant meal though. Supermarket homebrand budget range. But normal ones are still cheaper than what you've got, but not that much less.
I spend about 50 bucks a week for myself now. But some of that is beer money too...and not nearly as frugal as I used to be. If I were being frugal I would not include alcohol in my food budget. If I go out with family or friends bump that to about 75.

Avoid fast food, obviously. Figured out how to cook in college. And now that I'm on my own I have a small garden too. Basically I did like the other dude said. Buy bags of rice (I never got bags of beans tho). I used rice to make all kinds of good meals. Use the internet for recipes.

When you learn to make some awesome stuff be careful in college. If the kids that just eat at the dining halls or fast food get a taste of your cooking they will bum around more often...

Quote by strat0blaster
. Eating better is more expensive.

Ridiculously so, sadly.

Define better? Fine dining? Of course it is expensive. Nutritious and healthy? No, it isn't always more expensive. Only if you think you have to shop at some yuppie fresh market type store.
You can get away with 40 every two weeks, which is what I did all summer, but I ate like shit. Cheapass sausages, rice and beans, pasta, canned sauce, frozen shitty food...it sucks. Spend as much as you can if youre living on your own because unless you don't eat that much, if you don't bolster your fridge properly youre gonna be annoyed as ****.

I currently spend probably more like $150-200 every 2 weeks, but I get drinks, meats, and sometimes I spurge and get kind of bougie shit. Its worth it IMO though.
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.
70 USD is hard work, even if you were a complete nun, some of your food will be wasted or go off, or you will buy more food (pizzas, kebabs, tacos) for social situations and such like

If you lived off of ramen only you might be able to do it, but that is a very difficult life to lead
about 150 a month, i mostly get whiskey and hookers.... wait what was the question again?
Why can't you still have a meal plan off campus? I know I'd end up being fucked without one.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything