Hi, a friend of mine bought an Alto Sax and wants to know where to start.

¿Does someone could tell me just the basics learning sax?

Thanks.
In case you didn't notice, this site isn't called UltimateSax...
There is probably better sites than UG to learn it.
Ok, but maybe someone arround here know about sax, anyway i will be looking for a sax forum too.
Quote by theknuckster
place sax in mouth and blow.

Coltrane: "Man, I just can't stop playin'!"

Miles: "Try taking the saxophone out of your mouth."
Quote by Myshadow46_2
Your friend should start with a tutor.

He will but after christmas, so he wants to start practicing right away for better results with the tutor.
I can play Saxophone, though I don't really do it any more. I played for 7 years.

The things you need to know with Saxophone is how to hold it, which may sound obvious but its very important.

How to place it in your mouth. You don't just stick it in there.

How to finger notes.

The finger shapes for all the notes.

How to get a good breath.

I recommend at least a few lessons with a pro teacher just to cover all these things. Its probably all on youtube, but if your doing it wrong you need some one to spot this and correct you.

I had a teacher through my entire sax time, so I cant give any experience on teacher yourself.

They will also have to read music, as there is no tab in the saxophone world.
Quote by jkielq91
I can play Saxophone, though I don't really do it any more. I played for 7 years.

The things you need to know with Saxophone is how to hold it, which may sound obvious but its very important.

How to place it in your mouth. You don't just stick it in there.

How to finger notes.

The finger shapes for all the notes.

How to get a good breath.

I recommend at least a few lessons with a pro teacher just to cover all these things. Its probably all on youtube, but if your doing it wrong you need some one to spot this and correct you.

I had a teacher through my entire sax time, so I cant give any experience on teacher yourself.

They will also have to read music, as there is no tab in the saxophone world.

Thanks for the sugestions