Is the price difference between a mim strat and a road worn 60's strat justified or did they raise the price by $400 just cause they scratched some paint off and put in a different set of (Mexican) pickups?

I just want to know whether there is a difference in wood or build quality before I buy of of the two. I'll be replacing the pickups anyway. I just find it hard to believe that the road worn is so much better than a standard that it's the same price as a MIA strat
there's a store i go to that sells "vintage" brand guitars that are all pre-worn and look like they've been neglected for years. they come out of the factory with worn spots on the paint, what looks like rust on the metal parts, finger wear on the fretboard, etc. I don't think there's any difference in quality, it's just how they were made to look. Personally I think anyone who would buy one is the same kind of dumbass that would buy pre-ripped jeans. sure they look old when they're new, but what are they gonna look like when they're old? I don't think people buy them with the intentions of keeping them long enough to find out.
Pretty sure they're exactly the same. They just add on an extra whack for the privilege of damaging your guitar... Cheers Fender
EDIT: The RW series seems to have a nitro finish, whereas I think the standard Mex guitars have Poly. Not sure if that makes any difference to you
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Last edited by Paddy McK at Dec 6, 2011,
A good chunk of the difference is probably the look, but there's different hardware on the Road Worn (vintage style bridge, different neck shape, Tex-Mex pickups, and probably the finish)
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
They're not the same guitar at all. The roadworns are spec'd closer to American strats. They've got a nitro finish, vintage style C carve on the neck (as opposed to the more modern one on the MIM) tex-mex pickups instead of the no-name junky ones that come on a MIM, and a 7.25 radius on the board instead of a 9.5. From what I've seen the roadworns use a 3-piece body, where you sometimes (not often!) get a 5-piece with MIMs.

The two guitars feel and sound quite different. Not liking relic'ing is one thing, but claiming they're the same guitar with and without wear is completely wrong. Most of the specs I listed above come down to preference, but the Roadworns certainly aren't just beat up MIMs. The roadworns I've played have been really, really good. Too different from MIAs to say "better" by any practical measure, but I'd honestly pick a roadworn over a regular MIA standard on most days.
Quote by mike_oxbig
there's a store i go to that sells "vintage" brand guitars

the brand name is vintage? i cant find any info on google, can you give me some more info on these?
“More metal than your gran’s left hip.” - Paul Allender on his PRS signature guitar
The nitro finish is pretty good, feel very natural, also, They are nice players, same as most if not all decent fenders.
The poly finish will take decades to age and wear.
Nitro is a bit quicker, more delicate and the guitars resonate slightly differntly.

@ mMike? why, some people want the look and feel of an older instrument. nothing like jeans whatsoever.

EDIT. Vintage guitars.

http://www.jhs.co.uk/vintageelectric.html

EDIT 2 Vintage aged guitars ( awful looking, nothing on the fenders)

http://www.jhs.co.uk/vintageiconguitars.html
Last edited by Lespauljames at Dec 6, 2011,
Quote by Lespauljames
@ mMike? why, some people want the look and feel of an older instrument. nothing like jeans whatsoever.

This. I'm not a fan of the road-worn (or any artificially aged) guitars. But it's kind of like having an old instrument without the problems associated with them.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by ibanez2011
the brand name is vintage? i cant find any info on google, can you give me some more info on these?

They're an English brand, meant to be decent for the price
http://www.jhs.co.uk/vintageelectric.html
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Quote by Roc8995
They're not the same guitar at all. The roadworns are spec'd closer to American strats. They've got a nitro finish, vintage style C carve on the neck (as opposed to the more modern one on the MIM) tex-mex pickups instead of the no-name junky ones that come on a MIM, and a 7.25 radius on the board instead of a 9.5. From what I've seen the roadworns use a 3-piece body, where you sometimes (not often!) get a 5-piece with MIMs.

The two guitars feel and sound quite different. Not liking relic'ing is one thing, but claiming they're the same guitar with and without wear is completely wrong. Most of the specs I listed above come down to preference, but the Roadworns certainly aren't just beat up MIMs. The roadworns I've played have been really, really good. Too different from MIAs to say "better" by any practical measure, but I'd honestly pick a roadworn over a regular MIA standard on most days.

thanks for the detailed answer. i was planning on getting an white road worn strat and then replace the horrible aged pickguard with a new one. i think that thats what ill do coz my local shop sells them for only $100 for than i standard MIM strat. ill have to try them both out though. doesnt the MIM also have a vintage style bridge though?
They both have the vintage-style 6-screw trem, yes. I'm not sure if they're exactly the same piece of hardware, but they certainly could be.
The Road Worn 60s is closer to the Classic Player 60s than the MIM Standard. The two main differences are the finish, Road Worn is Nitro, CP 60s is Poly; and the pickups, Road Worn is "Tex-mex" (Import Texas Specials), CP 60s is Custom Shop '69s.

The price difference is only $100 MSRP, which translates into practically the same price retail. It's justified because the Nitro Finish is much more expensive than poly, and the Custom Shop pickups are much more expensive than the Tex-Mex.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi