Hi everyone ! Yes it's another what guitar thread, but the cool thing is that I know exactly what I want to do with it , the bad thing is that there seems to be SO MANY alternatives.

Christmas is coming, and I have paid internship, so I'm starting to look for a second guitar, that I would use to play stoner rock (C standard, maybe D as well). I'm basically a big fan of QOTSA, but also of Fu manchu and Brant Bjork.

My Budget is about $800 all included. For that price, I have considered going used, and get some MIJ gibson copy. I allready bought my Yamaha from ebay, and I'm quite happy with it. However the shipping for these is usually around 130$ for europe, so that leaves around 670 for the guitar only.
Or for that price, I could also look for my options on on-line shops. Because I'm Swiss, if I buy in the EU, I can deduct 11% VAT, which is quite cool.
Buying from a local shop is not really an option, we were allready getting ripped off before, but now, it's about 40% more expensive than buying on-line... ridiculous.

TLDR Here are my personnal preferences:

Pickups: Passive pick ups, and I think that vintage output would be better for stoner rock.
Body Shape: As long as it's not pointy, it should be fine, I don't like superstrats either.
Scale length: 24.75 is prefered, but I can adapt.
Bridge: No Floyd, and I don't really need a tremolo either
Neck profile: I like relatively thick necks
Body wood: mahogany ? I'm not sure really, not even sure if I want a solid body... a semi-hollow might fit the bill actually.

So if you were in my position, what would you buy for 800 bucks ? Currently I was leaning toward some Burny LP, or maybe SG, if I can find one that I like from a trusted seller.
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Hughes&Kettner Tube Meister
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Electro Harmonix Big Muff pi (tone/wicker)
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3
pity post

i pretty much use a les paul for all kinds of music. i have 2 of them...a cheap one for drop tuning and a nice one for standard tuning. If you already have a style of guitar that is comfortable to you, just buy another one. or if you want something new to look at sit in a music store until you find another guitar you like. you might be able to find a guitar you like in a store and then find it online and if it's cheaper show them the link and see if they'll do price matching, or at least give you a price break.
Maybe an LTD EC-1000? Necks are just a bit thicker than Ibanez, I believe Mahogany body, and you can get them with a JB/'59 pup combo. Looks good for you on paper.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
i know you said you prefer 24.75" scale, but a 25.5" works out a little bit better with lower tunings, not as flubby. i do have a 24.5" Gibby set into C#std, and it is good, but not exactly ideal.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Cherry Gibbo SG.....helz yah.....A stoner Icon
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-faded-sg-special-electric-guitar

^Thats the budget version. similar guitar, just no Inlays or pickup covers

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/schecter-guitar-research-solo-6-custom-electric-guitar
Another good option I reckon

I see you have a Yamaha SG. I want. how did you find one of them. Mastodon and High on Fire do or have used them. Maybe you should track down another in a different finish or something.
Last edited by BIGEV95 at Dec 7, 2011,
Quote by BIGEV95
I see you have a Yamaha SG. I want. how did you find one of them. Mastodon and High on Fire do or have used them. Maybe you should track down another in a different finish or something.

Well I bought mine from ebay, from a reliable seller, and since it's a SG800, it was relatively cheap because it doesn't have the fancy inlays etc... But if I ever buy another Yamaha SG, then I would like it in aged white, which means either a SG1000 or SG2000 if I'm not mistaken, which are over my budget.

For the 24.75 scale vs 25.5 debate, I mean both Josh and Troy from QOTSA regularly use 24.75 guitars for C standard. And having heard them live, I can tell it does work... Even though they probably use very high gauge, but it should still sound decent with some 12's, isn't it ?
Anyway, 25.5 is not out of question as I said.

For the Carvin suggestion, aren't these out of my price range ?

Any other suggestions ? I'm sure some of you here play stoner rock .
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3
For the Carvin suggestion, aren't these out of my price range ?

New built from scratch? Yes.

Already made in-stock and currently on sale? Maybe not.

New Carvin kit? Definitely not.

Used? Definitely not.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 7, 2011,
Have you looked into Hagstrom guitars? They've got a great reputation, and some of the cheaper models, like the Swede, would definitely fit into your budget. Made in Sweden, too, so you'd get the VAT discount. I've never played one myself, but I'm assuming they'd be great for stoner rock, as it's basically a LP, which is a classic stoner rock guitar.
^ Yeah hagstrom are great.
A couple of wicked models that could work great for the stoner stuff. QOTSA use hollow bodies, and the hagstrom Viking is an awesome one, but that would only cover their sound.....Still they have some decent solid bodies
The Viking could be a good alternative indeed. I'm kind of relectuant to go for their solid bodies, I think that the Swede kind of looks like a LP gone wrong... Have you tried the viking ?
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3
I was going to open a new thread, but maybe I can squeeze my question in here. I always wondered why people buy guitars to keep in a specific tuning. Will the guitar (strings) be set up in a specific way for Drop Tunings?

For example, if I buy a guitar and tell the guy to set it up for me in Drop B, will it sound strange when I tune it up to standard? Thanks for any help.
Yes. If you tune your guitar down, you have to adjust your action and intonation for it to play properly. If you tune it back up, the action and intonation will be off, and it won't sound or play right.
Quote by Cazman
I was going to open a new thread, but maybe I can squeeze my question in here. I always wondered why people buy guitars to keep in a specific tuning. Will the guitar (strings) be set up in a specific way for Drop Tunings?

For example, if I buy a guitar and tell the guy to set it up for me in Drop B, will it sound strange when I tune it up to standard? Thanks for any help.

Not to mention that it's a pain to continually change tunings... and the difference between E and C standard is just too big in my opinion for the same gauge, not like tuning from E to E flat.

P.S.: I'm still opened to suggestions.
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3
Last edited by Doogy-Style at Dec 8, 2011,
Have you looked at Hagstrom's F series? It's their take on an SG, with (at least to my eyes) a few visual cues from strat-type guitar. A bit different, but I think it looks cool, and it's gotten good reviews everywhere I've looked.
Also, you might like the Epi G-400. It's a fantastic guitar, and I know quite a few people who use it for super-downtuned stoner stuff. With your budget, though, you might even be able to grab one of the lower-end Gibson models.
Last edited by blaaargh at Dec 8, 2011,