Alright here's the DL on my problem... i'm looking for a guitar/amp combo, effects are just side bonuses... that will produce a very particular sound... Looking for a combo that can belch out some hardcore punk/rock sounds, and can also delve into hard rock/metal with a very limited sound range... Looking for a reasonable price range, not too over-the-top and not too cheap-o wimpy... Looked and window shopped, got some advice that a Marshall 1 1/2 stack would be good specially if you ran a distortion pedal through it... also heard Peavy set would be good, no specifications on that one though. Got an Epiphone Les Paul Studio Special axe, running through a DS-1 Pedal, coming out a Behringer V-Tone GM108, it's an analog model amp, so it can dish out some pretty heafty overdrive tones by itself, but can also come amazingly clean.... only problem, you've gotta work switches to cut between the both... was looking at maybe a SG, or a Les Paul (not studio) or maybe a Washburn R-X with some EMG or Seymour Duncan Alts. Someone guide me... lets just say i'm a newbie with very limited knowledge of the fields...
What's your budget? Is this for gigging or home use?
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
for 500 bucks you could get a peavey windsor which is a marshall jcm800 clone and a decent 2x12 cab used.

or if its higher a jcm 800 and a marshall 1960cab, idk how much used jccm's go for but the cabs can be had for 400 maybe less used.

it would really help to give us a budget
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
Quote by travs2448
for 500 bucks you could get a peavey windsor which is a marshall jcm800 clone and a decent 2x12 cab used.

or if its higher a jcm 800 and a marshall 1960cab, idk how much used jccm's go for but the cabs can be had for 400 maybe less used.

it would really help to give us a budget

There are deals out there... I just got a Windsor and matching 4/12 cab for $300.00
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Quote by Papabear505
There are deals out there... I just got a Windsor and matching 4/12 cab for $300.00

good deal mate! so much win!
Quote by travs2448

Quote by diceksox1809

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6

Quote by jpatan
well budget isn't really so high atm... about to enroll in college so my finances are quite limited, but if need be, my current guitar and amp can go... as soon as college starts, funds should become more balanced than they are now... so my guess would be around $500-$1000, give or take... that would be for maybe one... still need to know a guitar, that's looking like it may give up to about $1,500, if my estimations are correct.. just need an amp, guitar combo for a slightly heavy distortion and a substantial O/D.
as far as gigging or home, it's kind of a 50/50 situation... i'd be gigging at parties, more or less, and would also like to crank out some jamz at home... need to find a recording program so i can upload some shiz for my family... they're freaking wanting to see me play.. and i can't quite readily do that with my current hardware.
yeah a peavey windsor is right up your ally, go around and try out some jet city's they might sound good to!

im guess you mean punk hardcore and not brutal high gain hardcore right? cause i can give you hella-ton amp advice on that haha!
Quote by travs2448

Quote by diceksox1809

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6

Quote by jpatan
Quote by travs2448
yeah a peavey windsor is right up your ally, go around and try out some jet city's they might sound good to!

im guess you mean punk hardcore and not brutal high gain hardcore right? cause i can give you hella-ton amp advice on that haha!

Yeah punk hardcore not like full fledged metal, like Nightwish or anything quite that epic... guess the most i would want to go would be about Sum41, or Sugarcult, heavy... some 'Senses Fail' and 'A Day To Remember' would be on the far end of my track.
haha senses fail and a day to remember is just about where i start on the scale of heaviness and it only gets harder from there lol. id deff get a windsor if i were hah. about 300-400 bucks used and if you pair it with a marshall 1960 cab that you can get for about 400 used you have yourself i sweet rig!
Quote by travs2448

Quote by diceksox1809

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6

Quote by jpatan
Quote by travs2448
haha senses fail and a day to remember is just about where i start on the scale of heaviness and it only gets harder from there lol. id deff get a windsor if i were hah. about 300-400 bucks used and if you pair it with a marshall 1960 cab that you can get for about 400 used you have yourself i sweet rig!

beast... my hardcoreness doesn't quite rank up there... i'm more of a mellow style kind of guy.... the stoner guitarist if you would.... plus issues limit my ability to play... lets just say the rigging don't work like it used to.
Erectile dysfunction...? haha
how does that prevent you from being boss at guitar ?
Quote by travs2448

Quote by diceksox1809

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6

Quote by jpatan
Quote by travs2448
Erectile dysfunction...? haha
how does that prevent you from being boss at guitar ?

HAH, well you know all men have to pack heat and that sort of gives them a 'boldness' for lack of a better term... I just happen to have trouble 'swelling' that 'boldness', most men are not known to have the problem but I do and i'm not afraid to admit it... acceptance of a problem is the first step on the road to recovery.... HAH

no in all seriousness I was in a coma for the better part of a month and a week, with left side partial paralysis... so i kind of have trouble hitting the frets as accurately and as fast as others. and on a side note, my most epic attempt at playing would be Kamelot as my hardest of hardcores...
Quote by NexAtrum
HAH, well you know all men have to pack heat and that sort of gives them a 'boldness' for lack of a better term... I just happen to have trouble 'swelling' that 'boldness', most men are not known to have the problem but I do and i'm not afraid to admit it... acceptance of a problem is the first step on the road to recovery.... HAH

no in all seriousness I was in a coma for the better part of a month and a week, with left side partial paralysis... so i kind of have trouble hitting the frets as accurately and as fast as others. and on a side note, my most epic attempt at playing would be Kamelot as my hardest of hardcores...

feel free to quote me on that... up to you.
still need a good suggestion as to what guitar i should get, if any, or which mod i should make on my own.
lmao at that. but the coma... epic shit man glad your all good! as for what guitar its up to you man! what feels comfy to you. personally i only play les pauls. why? they feel and look great to me
Quote by travs2448

Quote by diceksox1809

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6

Quote by jpatan
Quote by travs2448
lmao at that. but the coma... epic shit man glad your all good! as for what guitar its up to you man! what feels comfy to you. personally i only play les pauls. why? they feel and look great to me

yeah, i'm hard as hell to get rid of... all jokes aside... i've played a Washburn, and my Les Paul Studio... the washburn had harsh frets on it... almost like acoustics... you had to mash the hell out of them to not accidentally pinch or just mute the sound... My Les Paul is easy on the fretwork, but I'm debating just modding the pickups to some better ones... just got stock in it now, they're not the best sound-makers... someone led me onto EMG's and Seymour Duncans, for the sound I want, just not sure the model to get, i'm not that seasoned.
Quote by kyle62
Windsor user here...definitely right up your street, it's a fun amp. Also cheek out the Bugera 1990 if you'd prefer to buy new.

Price is an Issue, i'll still weigh all of them but when it comes down to it, it will be the price that makes the deal
Les Paul Red Wine Finish with chrome hardware, obviously i know Les Paul is a name brand, not cheap, but is the hardware they come with good enough to leave or will I look at altering them?
i dont know if emg's would suit you? i mean they sound good for high gain stuff but not really much else? i think you would like the sound of a seymour duncan invader, or a gibson dirty finger! i use a dirty finger in the bridge slot on my main les paul and i love it! its very dirty and gives me that extra bite. like i said i play really high gain stuff and this is enough for me! i dont really like emg's but to each his own. try em out man!
Quote by travs2448

Quote by diceksox1809

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6

Quote by jpatan
As for a guitar, a lot of it depends on the look you want to go for.

Check out Xavier guitars from GFS, they're some of the best value for money out there - good tonewood, damn good pickups and generally good hardware (the tuning heads aren't the best though). I'd take one of their $200 Les Pauls over a $400 Epiphone LP Standard, that's for sure. Better pickups, much better wood

For punk/rock, the raw simplicity of the Gibson Les Paul Jr. is great. They cost around $600, and aren't bad at all.

If it was me, I'd probably go for a Xaviere, probably one of these:

XV-599 ($239)
(Invalid img)

XV-440 ($209)
(Invalid img)

XV-JT90 ($229)
(Invalid img)

Also check out Tokai guitars if you're into the Gibson style.
Last edited by kyle62 at Dec 7, 2011,
Update, Modding my current guitar to save money, Current guitar is a Les Paul Studio Special II. Need new pickup's for it... be specific if you've got any suggestions.
Quote by NexAtrum
Update, Modding my current guitar to save money, Current guitar is a Les Paul Studio Special II. Need new pickup's for it... be specific if you've got any suggestions.

The Special II isn't even worth upgrading. They're seriously cheap and nasty.