Hey guys, I'm thinking about making a killswitch. What I want to do is make it so that the middle position of a 3 way pickup selector acts as a killswitch, then I want to make a toggle switch that I can use to make the middle position either a killswitch or just both pickups.

Would this be hard to do? I'm assuming it's not, but there might be something I'm overlooking.
Quote by supersac
wouldnt it be more practical instead to have the toggle switch be the kill switch?

Because I'm thinking making the 3 way a killswitch would enable me to toggle it faster, and I could possibly do some cool things with it easier than a single toggle kill switch.

Edit: I was planning on testing it on my LTD, then if I liked it I'd do it to my Charvel, as my LTD is kind of my test guitar right now.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-SPDT-ON-OFF-ON-Miniature-Toggle-Switch-4-railways-/300568920206?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item45fb4dc08e

thats what I have installed. or very close to it anyway, i tried the push button ones, and i really didnt like those,

Edit, Actually i have two of those,
One for killswitch, and one to make the bridge humbucker, and neck singlecoil function together, so that would do either or. ( or a similar switch, i would confirm it with someone else first though, it was a while ago and i forget the name of the switch. )
Last edited by Lespauljames at Dec 6, 2011,
Quote by FearMyLightning
Because I'm thinking making the 3 way a killswitch would enable me to toggle it faster, and I could possibly do some cool things with it easier than a single toggle kill switch.

Edit: I was planning on testing it on my LTD, then if I liked it I'd do it to my Charvel, as my LTD is kind of my test guitar right now.

Surely it would only make things more complicated because you'd have to turn the killswitch on before you could use it? Also, this would mean you couldn't uses the killswitch in the middle position. And the wiring job would be hellish, not even sure how you'd do it
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Quote by Paddy McK
And the wiring job would be hellish, not even sure how you'd do it

If you make the middle position an open circuit, then put the toggle there, it'd be really easy.
Last edited by FearMyLightning at Dec 6, 2011,
whenever i get a few minutes, i am going to finish the wiring on my Gibson SG. it will have nothing more than two on/off switches (one for each pickup) and jack.

just an FYI a gibson style switch will not let you kill in the middle position.

one thought i have is that whenever you switch from bridge to neck pickup or vice versa, there would be a small bit of time where there is no sound being sent to the jack. i dont know how big of a deal it could be, it may not matter at all. just a thought.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Would probably easier to get a kill pot, basically it lets you push one of the volume or tone knobs down and it kills the sound. I have one on my warlock.
Quote by zomgguitarz1234
Would probably easier to get a kill pot, basically it lets you push one of the volume or tone knobs down and it kills the sound. I have one on my warlock.

that is another very solid option.

i personally haven't ever cared for push/pull pots, but lets see what the OP thinks.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by FearMyLightning
tl;ds

(too lazy; didn't searchbar)

r-p-d.

*(reported)

thats the Killswitch thread. how could it not be clear enough for you.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011