Poll: What would you suggest (please also comment)
Poll Options
View poll results: What would you suggest (please also comment)
Epiphone AJ220SCE
0 0%
Fender CD140SCE
4 80%
Ibanez V205SCE
0 0%
Yamaha CPX500
1 20%
Voters: 5.
So far on my shortlist I have :

Epiphone AJ220SCE
Ibanez V205SCE
Fender CD140SCE
Yamaha CPX500 (a bit expensive tough)

I am looking for low action and playability. I want a guitar which have a warm sound. I also prefer the guitars that have strong basses.

Yamaha seems to come first from what I read and heard.

If we exclude the Yamaha, I have a small tendency to go with Epi, which seems to have a better sound on the Youtube soundtests I have found than the Fender and Ibanez.

Have you guys been testing them ?
hmm..definitely the yamaha. if it were me, i'd add in an ovation to the list of choices. if you are coming from electric land, the strat style neck will fit like a glove in your hand. i have some nice high end guitars( cant name 'em, it offends cranky). but coming from an electric background i always go for one of my ovations. i know they slide off fat peoples laps... just dont be fat. a 1778tx might just punch your ticket for you.
Sorry for posting in the wrong thread! Thanks stepchild but I‘m looking for a conventionnal guitar
lol....conventional ! your in the right thread cyber. go for the yamaha then. any shops close to you where you can try them all out?
I've always had a sour impression about yamaha guitars, but i was hanging around a local music store today while i was getting new pickups installed in my les paul and played a cpx500 with a cutaway...and god damn it felt nice in my hands. it wasn't that expensive either...it was just under 400$

I would 100% recommend that guitar without even wanting to try the other ones. it was just that nice.

and no i don't work for yamaha.
i dunno... you type with a bit of an asian lilt... and there is that R1 t-shirt. love your bikes ! can i get one sent as a demo?
Hehe thank you mike for you input. sure the yam seems easy to play but what about the sound. By the way I was wrong it does‘nt gave solid top
Quote by cyberderf
Hehe thank you mike for you input. sure the yam seems easy to play but what about the sound. By the way I was wrong it does‘nt gave solid top

I was playing some neil young and it sounded pretty good. It might not be suited to your style of play though, it's always best to try before you buy. I don't think any of the guitars you listed come in solid tops, or even solid backs for that matter. it's hard to find solid anything these days for a reasonable price.
all lams. made in ox's basement outta chopsticks. nice turnaround ya got there ox. for that price your gonna get a lam top most likely. patticake can prob pick a good one out for you if she comes in. shes good at that.
Just curious, but why do you have to have an on-board tuner? They are usually inaccurate from all my experiences. Even on a $3000 Martin DC-Aura.

I honestly wouldn't go for anything on your list except for maybe the Yamaha. Even then, I'd rather be going for a Yamaha FG-700 series guitar. The CPX500 is not a solid spruce top. It is laminate.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
out of the ones on your list, i'd go for the fender without hesitation. best sound of the bunch imo, decent playability.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
you might want to consider straying away from the "big name" companies. The trouble with buying an entry level guitar from a big company like ibanez, yamaha, and especially epiphone, is they know that they can laminate petrified dog crap, put some strings on it and people will buy it for the logo.

I'm not sure where you live, but there's a company in Canada called "Art & Lutherie" that makes a pretty decent solid wood guitar, and i've never seen one over 400$. I think they're owned by godin. I have one myself...and admittedly I never play it because I now have better guitars to play, but it was my first acoustic and it did the job well.
considering the low price the op wants to pay and the fact he wants electronics - and apparently a cutaway - the godin brands (seagull, art & lutherie, simon & patrick) won't be any help. you can get a solid top from godin for a few bucks more than his budget, but not an acoustic electric. the best-sounding guitars i know in his price range are recording king, but they're also not acoustic electric.

to the op - if you like a clean, bright sound and don't need the cutaway, you might want to try the fender tim armstrong hellcat.

Quote by mike_oxbig
you might want to consider straying away from the "big name" companies. The trouble with buying an entry level guitar from a big company like ibanez, yamaha, and especially epiphone, is they know that they can laminate petrified dog crap, put some strings on it and people will buy it for the logo.

I'm not sure where you live, but there's a company in Canada called "Art & Lutherie" that makes a pretty decent solid wood guitar, and i've never seen one over 400$. I think they're owned by godin. I have one myself...and admittedly I never play it because I now have better guitars to play, but it was my first acoustic and it did the job well.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by captivate
Just curious, but why do you have to have an on-board tuner? They are usually inaccurate from all my experiences. Even on a $3000 Martin DC-Aura.

I honestly wouldn't go for anything on your list except for maybe the Yamaha. Even then, I'd rather be going for a Yamaha FG-700 series guitar. The CPX500 is not a solid spruce top. It is laminate.

Yup I want one
And yes an Art & Lutherie Cedar CW would also be interesting, but it's without electronic at 350$..

Quote by cyberderf
And yes an Art & Lutherie Cedar CW would also be interesting, but it's without electronic at 350$..

I've been accused of lacking any social skills whatsoever. While that may seem like a bad thing, it also has a reality check feature built in, and in your case that will come in very handy. Believe it or not, your $300.00 won't make a hoot's worth of difference to the overall gross income of the music industry. So, it follows logically, that the industry isn't sitting around designing the guitar you feel you're entitled to at the 300 dollar price point.

So, the best approach would be to buy used, or reduce your expectations.

Anyway, here's an Ibanez for about $280.00, which has most of your criterion, save for the solid top: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-aeg10e-cutaway-acoustic-electric-guitar

That even leaves you money for a string change or two.
Quote by cyberderf

This is true, but you're getting a decent base to improve on. Built in tuners are a novelty. A Pickup on an entry level acoustic is a novelty. Even cutaways, for the most part, are novelties. At least in the price range you're in, IMHO.

I say that because if you're looking at an entry level guitar, it stands to reason that you could very possibly be an entry level guitarist. They put built in tuners with shiney buttons to attract people like you, and if you're on a budget you should focus on the base value of the guitar, and not the bells and whistles that don't improve the guitar itself.

Assuming I'm right and you're in the learning stage (we're all in the learning stage, but i mean the learning stage where your friends don't want to hang around while you play...we've all been there) what's the point in amplifying that? Chances are you'll find that your electric guitar amp isn't very well suited for an acoustic, and that right there blows your budget right out of the water.

You should be focusing on the common chords, and there are a ton of songs you can play on the first 5 frets. Unless you're planning on putting a capo on the 9th fret and playing some doobie brothers, the lack of a cutaway will very rarely impede your playing.

Just my personal opinion. My first guitar was an "academy" acoustic electric with a cutaway. I fell for the ploy. Just trying to help you learn from my mistake.

Quote by Captaincranky
I've been accused of lacking any social skills whatsoever.

who needs social skills when you have nunchuck skills
Last edited by mike_oxbig at Dec 7, 2011,
So far I am thinking Fender Hellcat or Epiphone AJ220SCE.. I know there's no miracle and 300$ guitar are not made for stages, but the budget is the budget. And I want solid top and electronics.

Any other contender for my short list ?
Hey, I'm always recommending the same things but I really feel like they're not as known as they should be. Have you tried looking at Walden? Here's a starting dreadnought with Solid spruce top and if you're lucky a Fishman preamp (mine came with Presys+, tuner included), they go for around $350 new: http://www.musiclandcentral.com/wad5cuacelgu.html
I was impressed by the Adam Black guitars (O-6 and D-6) that I tried at a local store. They're giving the gorgeous S&P I tried a run for it's money, and I've still not made a decision on it yet :p. Dunno how easy getting them in the US is though.
have you gotten to try the guitars? i ask because to my ear, the epi doesn't come close to the 140.

Quote by cyberderf
So far I am thinking Fender Hellcat or Epiphone AJ220SCE.. I know there's no miracle and 300$ guitar are not made for stages, but the budget is the budget. And I want solid top and electronics.

Any other contender for my short list ?
Quote by Skeet UK
shiny buttons ! i like shiny buttons ! hmm... and 10 of 12 have built in tuners..... hmm... i did not know that about me ! thanks ox (btw, don't expect this years xmas card from me... just in case you been pestering the mailman for it)
I've tried the Fender Hellcat (yum) and the CPX500 but I havent' been able to find the others

However I've found an interesting product from Yamaha at exactly 300$ which is the new Yamaha FGX700SC. Solid top, tuner, cutaway, all the bell and whistles.. I think I prefer it over the CPX500. But it's really different style from the Hellcat, so it's hard to compare.

I am waiting to try out the others (Fender CD140 and Epi) to make my final decision.
What do you guys think of the Yamaha FGX700SC ?
Last edited by cyberderf at Dec 15, 2011,