So I have no idea about this at all. It's been happening to all my guitars but I figured it was just some grounding issue.

When I'm not touching any strings, there's some hum but that's not really a problem. But when I touch my laptop the guitar starts to hum really loudly. I was always too stupid to figure this out for the past year. So what's the problem and how do I fix it?

Or do I have to constantly roll off the volume knob when I'm using my laptop?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
It could just be electronic feedback because of the laptop. I know if you put your cell phone near a computer speaker when it's ringing, you get noise thru the speakers.

Or a bad ground connection somewhere, but usually you would get a difference in the hum depending on if you are touching any metal part on the guitar.

These would be my best guesses.
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09
A couple things come to mind. But basically you're looking at EMFs (Electro-Magnetic-Frequencies).

For instance, if you were to hold a multi-meter next to a wall outlet and start moving away from it, you'd find an amount of current in the "air" for about 3 feet. That current can have an effect on people/things -- try moving your bed to the center of the room for a couple weeks and see if you don't sleep better.

Your laptop is emitting EMFs and your guitar's pickups are soaking them up and your amp is doing its job of making them louder.
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
Quote by richardlpalmer
A couple things come to mind. But basically you're looking at EMFs (Electro-Magnetic-Frequencies).

For instance, if you were to hold a multi-meter next to a wall outlet and start moving away from it, you'd find an amount of current in the "air" for about 3 feet. That current can have an effect on people/things -- try moving your bed to the center of the room for a couple weeks and see if you don't sleep better.

Your laptop is emitting EMFs and your guitar's pickups are soaking them up and your amp is doing its job of making them louder.

+1

One of my guitars with hot pups even picks up the local radio station. Lol.
Alright thanks guys. Jenny said there really isn't anything to stop the 60 cycle hum.

BTW, ^^nice username
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by StateFarmsThere
+1

One of my guitars with hot pups even picks up the local radio station. Lol.

haha that's kinda awesome. trick your friends into thinking you can play freebird perfectly.
Quote by mike_oxbig
haha that's kinda awesome. trick your friends into thinking you can play freebird perfectly.

Who says I cant? Lol. Who am I kidding, I can only play about 40 seconds of the solo start.
Its an easy listening station sadly. Christian and the softest rock ever.
Tripped the **** outta me at first.
Quote by StateFarmsThere

Its an easy listening station sadly. Christian and the softest rock ever.

It's pretty annoying isn't it?

My wah picks up NPR often........
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Oh yeah, listening to christian music while rocking pantera/ lamb of god and stuff is very odd.
Havent heard it since I swapped amps, maybe it was my amp...
To the OP, you can "condition" the power in your practice room, shield the room, shield your instruments, etc. There are things that can be done about it.

One of which is rolling off the volume...
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Quote by JKHC
Alright thanks guys. Jenny said there really isn't anything to stop the 60 cycle hum.

BTW, ^^nice username

well i did suggest you start by using battery option,
or by moving the laptop to a new outlet...

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
well i did suggest you start by using battery option,
or by moving the laptop to a new outlet...

Battery isn't an option and its the same with other outlets. But you said it was normal so it doesn't bother me as much.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC
But you said it was normal so it doesn't bother me as much.

Never trust a woman when they tell you, "yeah that's normal". Usually they're only trying not to hurt your feelings.
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09
Quote by GOLDIE93
Never trust a woman when they tell you, "yeah that's normal". Usually they're only trying not to hurt your feelings.

This man speaks sooth!
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native