Page 1 of 3
Are they slowly taking over real instruments? I personally choose real instruments because they seem more authentic to me, but VST's are becoming more and more realistic sounding.
Quote by devourke
I imagine they would be in electronic genres

I've heard some guitar and drum VST's that sound pretty convincing.
I think they're becoming more common for the sake of DIY music projects, but I wouldn't say they ousting real instruments. I mean, more people are doing the DIY type approach, but they need to be able to compete with the real sound of instruments, so naturally VSTs are sounding more and more authentic. It's still hard as hell to get a decent sounding guitar VST for a reasonable price though.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
i love VSTs, but if I come across a vintage synth that i can afford, i will pick that over the VST any day
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Quote by MiserySignals11
I've heard some guitar and drum VST's that sound pretty convincing.

Just come out and say it bro, I know you want to.

You don't like all this new fangled technology
Quote by WhiskeyFace
Well, I'd rather play and record a guitar part than draw it into a MIDI track. It's just easier.

Do you know what VSTs are?
Quote by devourke

You know me too well
Not in the case of traditional rock, metal, jazz and etc yet. Mainly because those VSTs are prerecorded samples of another player. You can't have your own unique style put into a guitar track with one of those vsts. You can try to humanize them all you want there's still going to have an uncanny valley type of effect. However, I could see them being used for film scoring or electronica with a low budget and a composer that doesn't know how to play guitar.
I know this is probably a midi thing but just in case is this some sort of new STD?
Quote by MiserySignals11
You know me too well

Is that a good thing though?

EDIT: vvv Yes
Quote by MiserySignals11
Are they slowly taking over real instruments? I personally choose real instruments because they seem more authentic to me, but VST's are becoming more and more realistic sounding.

Weren't you that guy complaining about modern music in that other thread?
Quote by Androidjoey
I know this is probably a midi thing but just in case is this some sort of new STD?

No. Basically, you take a cheap USB midi controller, plug it into the computer, and make sounds with it.
Quote by MiserySignals11
No. Basically, you take a cheap USB midi controller, plug it into the computer, and make sounds with it.

o so it's for all those wannabe guitar players and such.
Quote by Androidjoey
o so it's for all those wannabe guitar players and such.

And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
They're easy to use for recordings. I prefer the real thing but I can't afford 'em, plus if you're playing live I prefer real instruments. Free sims are so awesome.
Quote by devourke

If you map back my psychology

It will look like Archeology

So take your newfangled this and your newfangled that

And line them up and throw them overboard
Last edited by Morphogenesis26 at Dec 6, 2011,
Quote by chaoticfables
They're easy to use for recordings. I prefer the real thing but I can't afford 'em, plus if you're playing live I prefer real instruments. Free sims are so awesome.

Nobody actually buys them, they're all ridiculously overpriced. I nearly shat bricks the other day when I saw that the Symphonic Choirs World Builder was $500, who the ****(other than professionals) would buy that?
Quote by chaoticfables
Say that again. No seriously say that again. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwR7Pgybm7Q

Pretty impressive.

Quote by Portuguese_boy
Nobody actually buys them, they're all ridiculously overpriced. I nearly shat bricks the other day when I saw that the Symphonic Choirs World Builder was $500, who the ****(other than professionals) would buy that?

I got mine at a great price. You have to learn to negotiate.
Quote by MiserySignals11
Pretty impressive.

I got mine at a great price. You have to learn to negotiate.

Jokes on you, I have it for free without even negotiating now.
Quote by Portuguese_boy
Jokes on you, I have it for free without even negotiating now.

Let me guess, you stole it? Or did you get a student license? I normally don't even use VSTs, but how else can I get a choir to sing my words? I can make exceptions.
VSTs or VSTis, TS?

Actually, shameless plug, but everything linked in my sig was produced with VST plugins or instruments.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Quote by MiserySignals11
Let me guess, you stole it? Or did you get a student license? I normally don't even use VSTs, but how else can I get a choir to sing my words? I can make exceptions.

I didn't steal it, I borrowed it from the internet so I can try it, and I'll buy it once I'm rich in the near future.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
I'm just saying that this and this
is all VST

Very impressive. That software must have cost a fortune, however.

Quote by Portuguese_boy
I didn't steal it, I borrowed it from the internet so I can try it, and I'll buy it once I'm rich in the near future.

Tell it to the judge
Quote by Portuguese_boy

i do it all the time lol
I will never use them.

VSTi's are for computer programmers.

Instruments are for musicians.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Ugh, ok this bugs the crap out of me every time I see it.

VST/VSTi is a plug-in format, NOT the technology of virtual instruments themselves...which are called just that--virtual instruments. There are other plug-in format equivalents: AU, MAS, RTAS, TDM, etc.

It's analogous to asking "are mp3's taking over live performance?" It's not so much mp3s specifically, but DIGITAL AUDIO.

When you always refer to VI's as VST's, it makes you sound like you don't know what you're talking about.

As for sample based instruments, I invite you to check out my orchestral mock-ups, which I'm trying to specialize in:
Original, full orchestra

Barber, Adagio for Strings, string orchestra

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Dec 7, 2011,
Quote by Portuguese_boy

Some things are too good for the likes of you.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
I'm just saying that this and this
is all VST

These are pretty terrible mockups...

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by GaryBillington
I will never use them.

VSTi's are for computer programmers.

Instruments are for musicians.

I somewhat agree with this sentiment. I feel terrible for players out there, who are absolutely feeling the brunt of this technology. In the media world, a lot of players are finding themselves out of work, especially for low budget projects, because composers can save a lot of money with a convincing sequence. Whereas they used to have all the players live, they might now only need to hire the clarinetist or solo violinist who has an important line in the music.

Sequencing will always be limited in some way and they will never sound completely real, no matter how great the editing is. You just can't replace a great live orchestra like the BSO, LSO, LA Phil, etc. It's also extremely hard for sample libraries to cover the full spectrum of what instruments can do, and they can't accommodate more innovative orchestrations. So I'm confident that live musicians will still play a role in these kinds of industry works, as diminished as it may be.

On the other hand, sample libraries have really opened the door for a lot of budding composers who need good sounds, good demos, or end products in many today's cases, without paying $10K per hour for a medium orchestra for 10+ hours.

I don't fully agree that MIDI programmers are just programmers. You still need to have an intimate sense of how instruments should sound. You still need a lot of musical sensibilities. One game composer put it best a while ago, something like "I love that technology allows me to do my job, but I hate that it makes me do the job of 80 people."

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Dec 7, 2011,
Quote by captaincrunk
Some things are too good for the likes of you.

Ya, but I still get those things.
VSTi's are pretty essential for producers of EDM who can't afford the actual synths.

Not all of us are Deadmau5
I make house muuuusic!
www.soundcloud.com/sean-garfola

My Gear:
Schecter Tempest custom
Pro Co Rat Duecetone Distortion
Boss Space Echo
Boss Super Chorus
Line 6 Verbzilla
Digitech Jam-man
Peavey ValveKing 212
Quote by Xiaoxi
I somewhat agree with this sentiment. I feel terrible for players out there, who are absolutely feeling the brunt of this technology. In the media world, a lot of players are finding themselves out of work, especially for low budget projects, because composers can save a lot of money with a convincing sequence. Whereas they used to have all the players live, they might now only need to hire the clarinetist or solo violinist who has an important line in the music.

Sequencing will always be limited in some way and they will never sound completely real, no matter how great the editing is. You just can't replace a great live orchestra like the BSO, LSO, LA Phil, etc. It's also extremely hard for sample libraries to cover the full spectrum of what instruments can do, and they can't accommodate more innovative orchestrations. So I'm confident that live musicians will still play a role in these kinds of industry works, as diminished as it may be.

On the other hand, sample libraries have really opened the door for a lot of budding composers who need good sounds, good demos, or end products in many today's cases, without paying $10K per hour for a medium orchestra for 10+ hours.

I don't fully agree that MIDI programmers are just programmers. You still need to have an intimate sense of how instruments should sound. You still need a lot of musical sensibilities. One game composer put it best a while ago, something like "I love that technology allows me to do my job, but I hate that it makes me do the job of 80 people."

I agree with this 100%

I also checked out your 2 links you posted in the post above and they were quite GREAT.. yeah I'd definitely be able to find some lack of this or that but so far for VI it's a great job!
also, do you have any samples with brass section? I found the brass section quite hard to get to sound realistic but that could just be me
Page 1 of 3