So, my boss found this at an estate sale. I love the sound, so I snatched it up without a second's hesitation. But now I'm kind of curious as to what brand it actually is.

If anyone can help me out on this, I'll really appreciate it. Thanks!
Was there no ID number or anything on the back or inside? Looks like just another random LP copy. I have an LP copy from the 1970s, took me years to finally find the brand name. Turned out to be a one time thing in Japan. Sorry I couldnt help, at least you like the sound and can look past the brand name. Thats all that matters.
Not a clue I'm afraid man.
Have you checked inside the control cavities of the guitar to see if there's any clues in there?
I've found some guitars sometimes have stuff stamped or written in there.

Also, if it's a bolt on neck (which it doesn't look like it is) it might say something on the neck heel or in the neck pocket.
does it have anything on the neckplate or any kind of serial number on it? i am also assuming the "$" is some sort of sticker and not original right?
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
It's a bolt-on neck; I'm going to have to dig around in there sometime soon and see if I can't find something in the heel, or the body cavity.

I love the sound of this thing; the P-90(ish) pick-ups are great, and I love having an LP copy with a Bigsby on it. I'd been saying about a week earlier to my boss that my big issue with LPs is the neck, and also that I kind of wanted a guitar with a Bigsby, and then this thing fell into my lap.
I am leaning toward it being a "Cortez" guitar out of Japan made in the mid to late 70's based on the headstock design. I am only finding single "Fleur de Lis" (the symbol) on most Cortez but they changed the designs quite frequently.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Quote by zenbone
does it have anything on the neckplate or any kind of serial number on it? i am also assuming the "$" is some sort of sticker and not original right?

Yeah, looks to me like one of those replacement truss rod covers you can buy on eBay and places.
Nothing on the neckplate, no. And no, that dollar sign is part of the truss rod cover, it's not a sticker, it's embossed plastic.

eta: I don't think it's original to the guitar, though.
Last edited by UnbrokenGlass at Dec 6, 2011,
It might be a Hofner... check out this link ( NO I AM NOT AN ADBOT). If you look at the pictures on the left hand side the 3rd set down looks almost identical to yours.

http://www.carvinmuseum.com/whatmodelguitar.html
Quote by BlackVoid
Quote by zenbone
It might be a Hofner... check out this link ( NO I AM NOT AN ADBOT). If you look at the pictures on the left hand side the 3rd set down looks almost identical to yours.

it don't get much closer than that...

Great hunting skills zenbone... I guess I'll stop now... LOL
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Quote by Papabear505
it don't get much closer than that...

Great hunting skills zenbone... I guess I'll stop now... LOL

I'll stop too. I love the old Japanse stuff so it becomes my mission to try to find a maker when one of these threads pops up. No matter what you have a cool guitar. enjoy!
Quote by BlackVoid
Quote by zenbone

...I think I may love you a little bit. Not in a weird way(OK, maybe a weird way). Thank you so much!

ETA: And thank you! It's a very cool guitar. I'm really enjoying it.
Last edited by UnbrokenGlass at Dec 6, 2011,
So, just an idle curiosity, how much are these worth? I was chatting with a luthier I met and he mentioned they can be expensive(ish), like close to a grand, but he might have been talking out his ass for all I know.
It's hard to give a price because we don't even know what decade it's from, and the lack of a name on the headstock could mean it's a copy of a Hofner, or was some sort of factory second or store-brand Hofner, or who knows what.

Still, it's clearly a step up from the usual department-store trash from the 60s you usually find at estate sales, so it's probably worth a few hundred. If you found someone who was actually looking for one of these, or could more accurately figure out what it is, you might get 5-600 for it (rough guess). As of now, if you were to just throw it on eBay as "60s or 70s guitar, probably a Hofner" you'd maybe get 300.

"What's it worth" is often a very different question than "what could I sell it for?" It's probably worth something, but you can't sell it for that amount if you don't know what it is.
It does look like it's a Carvin CM95. Could just be my eyes, but I see a faint outline of the rectangular logo above the inlay. Like someone may have painted over it or something.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I agree with Offworld92. The Carvin site has archives with a lot of info from every year's catalog. The info for the 1975 catalog says that the CM95 model sold then for around $250. Actually, your model would be a CM95B (with the Bigsby tremelo/vibrato option).

http://www.carvinmuseum.com/decade/75-guitars.html

If you go to the bottom of this link, you can see info from other years' catalogs.

Carvins were/are decent guitars. I'd think that one might well be in the above-$500 range, and maybe higher, at least to the right buyer.

Here's a somewhat similar, but more recent (1983) CM version, with humbuckers instead of single-coils, but without Bigsby, that the owner is hoping to get $699 for:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/c-1983-Carvin-CM-130-USA-Made-Vintage-Clean-Case-/260913461236?pt=Guitar&hash=item3cbfa777f4#ht_500wt_969

All in all, I'd say Good Find!