Got a used Schecter c-1 FR blackjack a while back, and it has stock Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge and a '59 in the neck.

Weird thing is, no matter how I play with the tone settings on my amp, I always get this "twangy" like sound. It's like I always hear the sound of the strings being strummed as if they weren't actually amplified. I don't want to play with the guitar's setup too much, not really sure what I'm doing.

So how could I fix this? I want to throw some thick strings on to play Drop Bb, but want to make sure the guitar will sound right when I do so.
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
Not familiar with that guitar, but I know some Schecters (C-1+ newer models specifically) have coil tap, where you pick up one of the pots (you probably know what it is). Make sure t he pots are pushed down all the way, see if that does it, if not, I don't know.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
Quote by guitarmaniac88
Not familiar with that guitar, but I know some Schecters (C-1+ newer models specifically) have coil tap, where you pick up one of the pots (you probably know what it is). Make sure t he pots are pushed down all the way, see if that does it, if not, I don't know.

Nah this one doesn't have coil tap. I know what you mean though...
TOMAHAWK!

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Amp?

definitely not my amp, it sounds perfectly fine with my other guitars. Maybe I'll put the new strings on anyway...
TOMAHAWK!

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
Actually my schecter c-1 xxx has a bit of twang too but i thought how i pick strings was the reason.. these awful ernie ball coated power slinkies im using til.they wear out made it stand out more. i like a bit of twang though
Take them Ernie Balls off motherfucker and put some real strings on!

Srsly tho that's your problem. D'addarios have that sound for maybe like a day but EBs keep them for fucking ever. I'd get some DR DDT's if you want to go down to Drop Bb. Get some 13s or some shit.
hey, broski, FearMyLightning, instead of bolding the "u" make it size 2 font. Same size as the rest of the text.
WARNING:
The above is most likely sarcasm, so fuck yourself if you're offended.
Quote by shavorules42
Hey look! An intelligent post!
Quote by WCPhils
One time I saw a religious person eating so I don't do that anymore.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Save water. Drink alcohol.
Quote by FearMyLightning

Srsly tho that's your problem. D'addarios have that sound for maybe like a day but EBs keep them for fucking ever. I'd get some DR DDT's if you want to go down to Drop Bb. Get some 13s or some shit.

Tupically i use rotosound strings but my guitar center stoped stocking them.. this is the second and last time ill ever use ernie ball strings... simply hate them
Quote by LZRocker
hey, broski, FearMyLightning, instead of bolding the "u" make it size 2 font. Same size as the rest of the text.

You really don't notice it unless you're looking for it, and there's no "size 2" button, but there is a "bold" button, so it's quicker.
I'd just say to try to switch your strings. A different gauge or different make would probably do the trick.
+1 if your gonna string change, DR's are amazing

but this twang sound....can u describe it more? is something rattling from the bridge? where does the sound come from on the guitar acousticly (if it does at all)
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
+1 if your gonna string change, DR's are amazing

but this twang sound....can u describe it more? is something rattling from the bridge? where does the sound come from on the guitar acousticly (if it does at all)

It's the Ernie Balls he's using.
what about your pickup height? Sometimes when I want a more "tele" jangle out of my strat, I lower the bass side of the pick up so it doesnt get any of the low notes and I lower the treble side slightly so that it's not so pronounced and a bit more airy and jangly. Maybe you should readjust the pickups? I don't think that's the case with yours, but worth a shot?
Epi Sheraton II or MIA FSR strat > wah Q535 > fuzzface > Keeley C4 > Qtron > Whammy > Liquid Chorus > Triboost > Hotcake > BigMuff > Small Stone > VolumePlus > SpaceEcho > Cathedral Reverb > LoFi > MemoryMan > BYOC vibrato > DD-7 > Vox AC15 C1
It's not the strings. No string brand has more or less 'twang' than others, other than coated strings stay like-new for longer so they sound brighter for longer.

What it sounds like you're experiencing is either the pickups being further from the strings than you're used to or the bridge saddles may be a little loose. When you come to change strings, check to see if the saddles are moving much. Then once you've got the new strings on and tuned up, set the pickups a little higher.

Outside chance is a wiring fault, either the pickups' series connection has broken somehow or one or more of the volume or tone pots has been removed from the circuit which will create an unusually bright sound. I find both unlikely though. I'm pretty sure stock SD pickups only use braid/single connection wire so there's no series link to break and it would be unusual for someone to disconnect the tone or volume controls completely.
I love a little bit of twanginess on high gain tones, plus that's what makes tube amps stand out in comparison to SS and DSP ones, I might have thought that your coil tap pot is maybe broken or stuck or something, but then you've said that your guitar does not have coil tap. I own a C-1 Exotic myself, so it does sound REALLY twangy when coiltapped. I'd say that maybe it's a wiring fault, maybe the treble polepieces are a bit too high, or something has to be wrong with the saddles.

Btw, you should try out Dean Markley Blue Steel, they are pretty good, and not really bright at all, just very articulate.
*chugga chugga chuggity chug chug chug*
this may sounds dumb but make sure the strings are laid across the bridge correctly..when changing string on my schecter i once got this annoying twangy noise well it had a tune-o-matic bridge on it and on of the higher strings wasnt in the saddle slot thingy lol
Last edited by timmymaines at Dec 7, 2011,
Quote by grohl1987
It's not the strings. No string brand has more or less 'twang' than others, other than coated strings stay like-new for longer so they sound brighter for longer.

False.
Quote by FearMyLightning
False.
Would you care to actually explain your reasoning in a constructive manner?
Yeah it's most likely the strings, when i got my schecter it had some random strings on it and didnt sound as clear and bright as i like it, so i swapped in some ernie ball power slinkies and i have the bright tone that i love all day every day. I would bet FearMyLightning's left nut that it's the strings.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Your schecter is turning into a tele. Sell it quick!
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by FearMyLightning

****! ****** **** the ****-****** mother****

Quote by flanders_91
definitely not my amp, it sounds perfectly fine with my other guitars. Maybe I'll put the new strings on anyway...

No, he was asking what amp are you using
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
****! ****** **** the ****-****** mother****

This, minus the language.

Brand isn't the problem.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by grohl1987
Would you care to actually explain your reasoning in a constructive manner?

Yeah, you're wrong, I'm right. Argument = over.
Quote by grohl1987

Why do you (and a lot of other people) say this? I've used almost all of the major brands, and there's pretty obvious tone differences between them.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X