Hi all!

I have been eyeing this goldtop Gibson raw power les paul for a little while, and it's tearing me apart. The sparkley-flake gold/orange color with the hot blone maple neck was THE color combo I was looking for for an eventual les paul hot rod project.

Here are my mod ideas, and tell me your opinion on them ( and WHY ):

1. Pickup swap

I was thinking of thowing in an old pickup combo I once had for a previous Washburn. I had an active EMG60 at neck and a passive SD JB at the bridge. I quite liked this because whenever i would flip to the EMG before a solo, I would get a subtle but sweet output boost that gave an extra bite.

2. Three-inline arcade-button killswitches instead of toggle

I am a big fan of Killswitches since I saw how Buckethead used them. I tried his signature LP in a store, and I fell in love with how easy to push the big arcade buttons are instead of the typical on/off switch ( though they have a larger area ). Why would I want three of those big-ass buttons? I've learned that with a whammy, a few pedals and a killswitch I canmake some awesome Dubstep-ish sounds. With 3 killswitches, it'll allow me to tap them rapidly and make some awesome sounds! Would this require alot of work from a luthier? I'll assume he'd probably need to extend the small circular cavity that should only hold the toggle by default.

3. This one is unsure, but maybe a quality floyd type tremolo.

How hard is it to have one of these installed on a guitar like a Les paul? I'm a big fan of tremolo's ( as long as they are quality and can hold strings in tune for a LONG time, even with abuse ) but I am unsure if this could take away from the guitar's tonality THAT much.

Input, comments and suggestions are cherished! Thanks!
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
I'm sure if you're tearing out the pickups, the TOM bridge, adding a Floyd Rose, and leaveing nothing except for the body & neck, I'm assuming a lot of tonality will be lost.

I like the ideas you have, but with the Arcade killswitch, you can get those choppy Dubstep lines with enough practice on one button. (add a decent filter pedal, you're laughing)

I assume it would prove to be very expensive. However if its in the pursuit of a dream, and you have the funds and means to do so? I don't see why you shouldn't experiment

However, whether it would work, is a different kettle of fish...

Gibson Buckethead Les Paul & Peter Frampton Les Paul
Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
EHX Memory Man/Hazarai
Digitch Whammy
Sovtek Straight 4x12
Herdim Picks
Laney Linebacker 50 Reverb
MXR Phase 90
Last edited by TheFly_1990 at Dec 6, 2011,
Quote by TheFly_1990
I'm sure if you're tearing out the pickups, the TOM bridge, adding a Floyd Rose, and leaveing nothing except for the body & neck, I'm assuming a lot of tonality will be lost.

I like the ideas you have, but with the Arcade killswitch, you can get those choppy Dubstep lines with enough practice on one button. (add a decent filter pedal, you're laughing)

I assume it would prove to be very expensive. However if its in the pursuit of a dream, and you have the funds and means to do so? I don't see why you shouldn't experiment

However, whether it would work, is a different kettle of fish...

Thanks! Indeed would be expensive, but mods would be done over a long term period so it won't feel as painful for the wallet.

Thnking of it, 3 would really be overdoing it but I would still like to have two at the toggle ( would work really well imo with index and middle finger).

They'd have to probably route up some extra space for the second button in that circular control cavity, right? ( how much does routing extra on a guitar cost generally? ).

Ps: I heard they made floyds that attached to a TOM, I'll check those out!
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
Last edited by bluezombie at Dec 7, 2011,
Doing things like that to a Les Paul is automatically a dumb idea, IMO.

Having said that, this would only be awesome if you could actually come up with music great enough to justify things like killswitches and Floyds.

It seems everybody and their brother who own guitars with Floyds and/or killswitches all play the same exact things with them.

If you can come up with some really groundbreaking shit, then yes, this idea will be awesome.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.